6 replies to this topic

#1 Richterface

Richterface

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 10:21 PM

I am still pretty new to my Celiac condition and I was wondering If my job is or could possibly effect my health negatively. I have been working for a number of fast food pizza chains as an assistant manager (Dominos for 2 years. Donatos - columbus ohio local).

As a manger it was my responsibility to oversee (wheat) dough rolling. I would roll dough in corn mill and stretch it to company regulation. I would handle the majority of the pizzas from start to finish. We were not required to wear gloves as it was impossible for someone to wear gloves and achieve the speed necessary for the position as well as accuracy.
I had recently decided to quit in order to find a job closer to where I live. Since I have management experience in pizza the only employer around that would hire me was Donatos pizza.

Currently I spend my time in a facility that produces a number of sandwiches on white and wheat buns (we are required to wear gloves at this station as we are dealing with raw product. However I am still required to touch dough, load them into a special proofer, and finally top the pizzas. There is no loose cornmill or wheat flour in our kitchen. However I have noticed that some employees touch freezer/walk in refrigerators after they have touched wheat containing products.

I am hoping to receive some information regarding sensitivity. Am I allowed to touch wheat, or work around it daily. Also my fiance is not gluten free and she eats her fill of wheat containing products. Should I ask her to consider becoming gluten free as well? Am I in danger of sickness or poor health due to the both of us working closely with pizza and bringing some of the wheat proteins home with us on our clothes?

It may seem a little dramatic but I feel overrun by "Wheat particles." Some clarification would be nice.

As always thank you for your feedback! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Kathy59

Kathy59

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

I would not work with any kind of dough! You could be inhaling flour; yes, touching items those have touched can cause cc. I don't even go down the bread isle or flour isle in grocery store unless I absolutely have too!

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:42 AM

HI,

Inhaling flour is a possible problem. Flour is a fine dust and gets airborne and doesn't settle right a way. A dust mask might help. If you inhale flour it's in your sinuses and then your throat and then the gut. The problem with touching wheat or other gluten is if you then get it in your mouth. That can happen accidentally by rubbing your face or hair with your hands. If you eat without washing your hands you might get cc'd also. People with DH may need to be more cautious about skin contact though. Your fiance will need to brush her teeth before kissing you if she has been eating gluten.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 Richterface

Richterface

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:13 AM

Great! Thank you all for your advice. I am currently looking for another job, on the other hand I don't flour is a problem because we do not use loose flour as a base for anything. Our thin crust pizzas come pre-covered in corn mill. My biggest issue would be touching the faucet or door handles and then touching my face or mouth. I will continue to wear gloves whenever I am working with or around the product.

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 10:51 AM

Great! Thank you all for your advice. I am currently looking for another job, on the other hand I don't flour is a problem because we do not use loose flour as a base for anything. Our thin crust pizzas come pre-covered in corn mill. My biggest issue would be touching the faucet or door handles and then touching my face or mouth. I will continue to wear gloves whenever I am working with or around the product.

If there is no airborne flour you may be okay. Do wear your gloves or use tongs when handling food or packaging and wash your hands often and as soon as you get home.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:18 PM

I would add, have a place to drop your clothing when you get home and then shower. Im guessing you're a go home and shower guy, which is pretty typical of someone who works in a kitchen.

I found that the hardest habit to break was keeping my hands OUT of my mouth. Eating, piece of food stuck, whatever. As long as you are aware of that, it won't matter if it's on your hands, as long as you wash your hands before you touch your face or stick your hands in your mouth.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#7 zero

zero

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 09:06 PM

I would probably also periodically get a blood test to see if my body is reacting to gluten. As I understand it, the flour in pizza has a higher gluten content.

I have fond memories of eating the Donatos Founder's Favorite at the High Street restaurant some 25 years ago.
Diagnosed Celiac May 2008

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: