Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

B12 Deficiency, Uric Acid, .....................

• Please log in to reply

6 replies to this topic

#1 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:09 AM

I am celiac and Gluten free for six months.

I have Vitamin B12 deficiency, on taking its supplementTablets or injections my uric acid goes up, is it normal in this situation? Anybodyelse through this .

Sometimes I get bloating without being Glutened, any quick fix to it .

Once Glutened accidentally , what is normal recovery time (is it like more gluten more time for recovery) and any suggestions what to do to make it easy to pass.Posted Image

Wishing speedy recovery to all Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tom

tom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:02 PM

...Sometimes I get bloating without being Glutened, any quick fix to it .

I don't have a quick fix, but it's maybe a fix. Keeping a food/symptom journal might show that the bloating corresponds to certain food(s). It wouldn't necessarily mean those foods are off-limits forever.

Also, are you taking probiotics? If not, they could help.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#3 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

Hi Gemme,

You can try peppermint tea for bloating. It helps get the gas out/belching. It is not a cure for the cause though. A food journal like Tom said can help with that. Probiotics and low sugar/low carbs can help also. Digestive enzymes may help. The big thing though is to eliminate the foods that are causing the reaction for a while. Have you eliminated dairy? That causes many people problems.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#4 Findin my way

Findin my way

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 09:15 AM

Hi Gemme,

Is your uric acid going up or is the elevated number from a umma (urine methymalonic acid) test? If it's uric acid I have no answer for you. Sorry. If it's the umma that means you have an active b12 and/or folic acid deficiency, even with supplements/injections.

Make sure your b12 supplements are METHYLcobalamin (preferably sublingual - under the tongue) not CYANOcobalamin. The inactive cyanocobalamin has to be converted to the active methylcobalamin. Being celiac we have malabsorption issues so we don't convert the b12 very well. If you take the methyl form via sublingual you don't even have to worry about absorption through the gut as it will be absorbed through the mucosa in the mouth.

B12 needs folate and vice versa. Make sure you're getting enough folic acid/folate. Again methylfolate (the already converted form of folic acid) is probably the better option. It is sometimes sold as Metafolin or Deplin. Or you might see it as 5-MTHF (methyl tetrahydrofolate).

I hope all that helps.

And this is my first post. Hi everyone. :P

#5 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:27 PM

I don't have a quick fix, but it's maybe a fix. Keeping a food/symptom journal might show that the bloating corresponds to certain food(s). It wouldn't necessarily mean those foods are off-limits forever.

Also, are you taking probiotics? If not, they could help.

Thank you

#6 Gemme

Gemme

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:34 PM

Hi Gemme,

Is your uric acid going up or is the elevated number from a umma (urine methymalonic acid) test? If it's uric acid I have no answer for you. Sorry. If it's the umma that means you have an active b12 and/or folic acid deficiency, even with supplements/injections.

Make sure your b12 supplements are METHYLcobalamin (preferably sublingual - under the tongue) not CYANOcobalamin. The inactive cyanocobalamin has to be converted to the active methylcobalamin. Being celiac we have malabsorption issues so we don't convert the b12 very well. If you take the methyl form via sublingual you don't even have to worry about absorption through the gut as it will be absorbed through the mucosa in the mouth.

B12 needs folate and vice versa. Make sure you're getting enough folic acid/folate. Again methylfolate (the already converted form of folic acid) is probably the better option. It is sometimes sold as Metafolin or Deplin. Or you might see it as 5-MTHF (methyl tetrahydrofolate).

I hope all that helps.

And this is my first post. Hi everyone. :P

Thank you.
Welcome , hope to read more inputs from you.Posted Image

#7 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,092 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:16 AM

I am celiac and Gluten free for six months.

I have Vitamin B12 deficiency, on taking its supplementTablets or injections my uric acid goes up, is it normal in this situation? Anybodyelse through this .

Sometimes I get bloating without being Glutened, any quick fix to it .

Once Glutened accidentally , what is normal recovery time (is it like more gluten more time for recovery) and any suggestions what to do to make it easy to pass.Posted Image

Wishing speedy recovery to all Posted Image

http://www.livestrong.com/article/317536-vitamin-b12-dose-side-effects/
perhaps you need more Potassium?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: