3 replies to this topic

#1 abby03

abby03

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:13 AM

I know I've been posting in this section a lot these past few days and I apologize but I was just on the JIF peanut butter website and stumbled upon this in their FAQ's by complete accident:

"15. Do Jif products contain gluten?
>> Hide answer
Jif Peanut Butter and Peanut Butter Spread products* do not contain ingredients derived from gluten; however, these products do not meet our established criteria for a "gluten-free" claim for one or more reasons.
*Excludes Jif Smooth Sensations Peanut Butter Spread and Jif Snack Nuts, items which have been discontinued.

It is important to note that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not yet defined the term “gluten-free” or established rules for making a "gluten-free" claim on a food product; however, "gluten-free" claims are permitted, and each manufacturer is responsible for determining whether or not its products are "gluten-free".

We have established the following stringent criteria based on the FDA's proposed rules for making "gluten-free" claims.

Ingredient Screening - The ingredient cannot contain gluten sources, such as wheat, rye, barley or their derivatives or hybrids. We also review for the presence of oats.
Testing - While there currently is not a commercially available test to detect the presence of oats, the product must be tested to verify that it contains less than 20 parts per million of gluten.
Manufacturing Procedures - In addition, facilities that manufacture verified "gluten-free" products must have a comprehensive gluten management program. All equipment used in the manufacture of products containing any gluten or oat source must be cleaned thoroughly prior to producing a product that is "gluten-free". These procedures must be validated and inspected after each clean-up."

Tell me this means nothing! I am a peanut butter addict. I NEED my creamy, smooth jif natural peanut butter. I eat this all the time. I go through jars like they're going out of stock! Could they really be cross contaminated? Does anyone else eat jif? Is it ssfe?

(haha sorry to be such a drama queen but my favorite foods include PEANUT BUTTER, chicken, hummus, potatoes, PEANUT BUTTER, and PEANUT BUTTER!)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

I know I've been posting in this section a lot these past few days and I apologize but I was just on the JIF peanut butter website and stumbled upon this in their FAQ's by complete accident:

"15. Do Jif products contain gluten?
>> Hide answer
Jif Peanut Butter and Peanut Butter Spread products* do not contain ingredients derived from gluten; however, these products do not meet our established criteria for a "gluten-free" claim for one or more reasons.
*Excludes Jif Smooth Sensations Peanut Butter Spread and Jif Snack Nuts, items which have been discontinued.

It is important to note that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not yet defined the term “gluten-free” or established rules for making a "gluten-free" claim on a food product; however, "gluten-free" claims are permitted, and each manufacturer is responsible for determining whether or not its products are "gluten-free".

We have established the following stringent criteria based on the FDA's proposed rules for making "gluten-free" claims.

Ingredient Screening - The ingredient cannot contain gluten sources, such as wheat, rye, barley or their derivatives or hybrids. We also review for the presence of oats.
Testing - While there currently is not a commercially available test to detect the presence of oats, the product must be tested to verify that it contains less than 20 parts per million of gluten.
Manufacturing Procedures - In addition, facilities that manufacture verified "gluten-free" products must have a comprehensive gluten management program. All equipment used in the manufacture of products containing any gluten or oat source must be cleaned thoroughly prior to producing a product that is "gluten-free". These procedures must be validated and inspected after each clean-up."

Tell me this means nothing! I am a peanut butter addict. I NEED my creamy, smooth jif natural peanut butter. I eat this all the time. I go through jars like they're going out of stock! Could they really be cross contaminated? Does anyone else eat jif? Is it ssfe?

(haha sorry to be such a drama queen but my favorite foods include PEANUT BUTTER, chicken, hummus, potatoes, PEANUT BUTTER, and PEANUT BUTTER!)

Jif Peanut Butter is gluten free. I eat it daily.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 krystynycole

krystynycole

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 06:54 AM

I've never had problems either too and I too have never had problems. Sounds like a typical CYA statement (cover your ass).

Gluten Free since November 2010 and feeling fantastic!

(Mis)diagnosis with IBS in 2004
MSG and caffeine free since 2001

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 08:26 AM

Yes, Jif is fine. My PB of choice is Skippy Natural Smooth. Enjoy!! :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: