103 replies to this topic

#46 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:26 AM

She doesn't have all those nasty diseases an outdoor cat could have. She was fine in a cardboard box on the way there. I let her out in the van on the 5 minute ride home. She crawled under my seat and was fine. Then she came out into the garage and right in the house with no problems. Her only issue is dermatitis. We are going to give it a week and see if being inside helps before we try a steroid shot.

She weighed 10 pounds.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:33 AM

She doesn't have all those nasty diseases an outdoor cat could have. She was fine in a cardboard box on the way there. I let her out in the van on the 5 minute ride home. She crawled under my seat and was fine. Then she came out into the garage and right in the house with no problems. Her only issue is dermatitis. We are going to give it a week and see if being inside helps before we try a steroid shot.

She weighed 10 pounds.

That's all good news. Uhm, fair warning on the steroids - they can make her aggressively nuts. As in The Cat From Hell that you're afraid to sleep around. I advise trying her new improved diet a bit longer, perhaps a gentle bath (gentle for her, bloody for you) and some oil on the itchy spots (if that's what she has).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#48 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:38 AM

Sounds good, Karen--love the pic :D
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#49 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 10:42 AM

I had a cat once who loved cooked spinach. And if Mom was baking sauerkraut, he would march back and forth in front of the oven door until it was done an we fed him some.

My current kitty has dried food available at all times and gets one small teaspoon of canned food each morning and again each evening. But I still give her treats on occasion - maybe once a week. I just buy Pounce treats for her and wash my hands well afterward.

She doesn't do well with people food. She usually vomits it back up. The only things she does well with are a little bit of white meat chicken, or some cod. And I NEVER give her any while I am eating. She has enough bad habits! I just wait until she isn't looking, put a little in her dish, and then call her.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#50 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:13 PM

This was posted on my Facebook today.
Rules to live by. :)

Posted Image

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

“Ah, but I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now

#51 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

Cool, Sora! :)

My hubs (a lifelong cat lover and "adopted Dad" of several kitties) has said:

"I think, if they could figure out how to open the cans of food, they would never need us at all. They own us. And I feel honored to be included."

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#52 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 03:16 PM

The new kitty is very cute!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#53 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

My kitty loves his bath, he sits in the bath tub and will meow until I go in and start to fill it for him. It has to be the right temperature, and I make it so it's only about 5cm deep and he doesn't like me to walk away while he's playing in the water, I get in big trouble for that. I'm bringing another one home from the shelter in a few weeks, she just has to be fixed up first and watched for a week after to make sure there are no complications. I'm certain there will be some punishment for bringing another one into the home, but they will get along ok in time. He does not like the car. At all. Yet we travel a lot. Last weekend we went just for one night and he went to a pet sitter, my 9 year old said it was the best trip we've had all year, she could read her book and hear her own words in her head! I hope the new kitty is better in the car than he is.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#54 elan

elan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

"Show me a man who likes cats and he is my friend forever, with no further introduction." ~~~Mark Twain

To IRISH HEART: I apologize for my behavior on that rant page ~ my brain must be diseased as well. peace

#55 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 04:53 PM

"Show me a man who likes cats and he is my friend forever, with no further introduction." ~~~Mark Twain

To IRISH HEART: I apologize for my behavior on that rant page ~ my brain must be diseased as well. peace

No worries, hon--it's in the past. Happy to see you feeling better.

and the Twain quote--is PURRfect. Best wishes to you!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#56 elan

elan

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 09:54 AM

Thank you for your graciousness.

#57 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,148 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:59 PM

One week update:

She fits right in. Hub, who doesn't care for cats, lets her snuggle on hs lap!

She enjoys going on the screened proch but hasn't tried to get out. We are working on keeping her off the kitchen counters and table.

M was gone all weekend camping and doing the state snake count (our state likes to count various animals). He got home and showered and went to the basement to watch cartoons and nap. Gracie was on the porch and came running to snuggle with him.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#58 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

aw, that's so sweet, K. She's "home" and she owns all of you now.

I count birds here for Cornell Lab of Ornithology, so I get the "counting" thing. That's good of M to help.

J. trained all the cats to stay off the counters/table by gently "misting" them with a squirt bottle. Does not take long. They do not like it.

We do let them on the furniture, so they are probably thinking "what the heck is the difference between the counter and the couch, you crazy humans? "

Maybe this will work for you?

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#59 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 01:21 PM

Gracie is very happy to have found her family - she will learn to stay off counters - out of the blue our little princess started counter cruising, didn't take long to train her that it was not allowed -- we finally figured out she was looking for water that was more convenient &/or more fresh than her water bowl - Shelby is fascinated with water - she plays in the larger water bowl we have in one room - she is not afraid of it at all, not sure she knows she is a cat ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#60 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 04:41 PM

We found a kitten at a foster carer through the RSPCA, beautiful little thing that came up on my FB newsfeed. I went to meet her, there were 28 cats in total from little kittens through to adults in this big room like a motel, all waiting for their furever homes, but this particular one really had me. She has beautiful, absolutely stunning, she is affectionate but she holds her own really well, she has attitude and I love that. After we left from visiting with her and the other fosters, I got the itchy eyes, so went back last week to visit her alone, she was allowed inside the house so she felt pretty special about that, she was amazing. Climbed all over me like old mates, but wandered off to explore like she had no fear. I came up in welts and my face swelled up. Luckily there was a chemist nearby so I could walk in there and get Ventolin because I couldn't breathe properly and some antihistimines for the swelling. It's so upsetting to find the perfect companion, one who will fit into the family in a house full of kids with existing furbabies, then be allergic to that extreme :(

So glad your furry one fits in really well, they all deserve a loving, comfortable, warm and cosy home to spend their lives being doted on.
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: