103 replies to this topic

#61 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:02 AM

We found a kitten at a foster carer through the RSPCA, beautiful little thing that came up on my FB newsfeed. I went to meet her, there were 28 cats in total from little kittens through to adults in this big room like a motel, all waiting for their furever homes, but this particular one really had me. She has beautiful, absolutely stunning, she is affectionate but she holds her own really well, she has attitude and I love that. After we left from visiting with her and the other fosters, I got the itchy eyes, so went back last week to visit her alone, she was allowed inside the house so she felt pretty special about that, she was amazing. Climbed all over me like old mates, but wandered off to explore like she had no fear. I came up in welts and my face swelled up. Luckily there was a chemist nearby so I could walk in there and get Ventolin because I couldn't breathe properly and some antihistimines for the swelling. It's so upsetting to find the perfect companion, one who will fit into the family in a house full of kids with existing furbabies, then be allergic to that extreme :(

So glad your furry one fits in really well, they all deserve a loving, comfortable, warm and cosy home to spend their lives being doted on.

I feel your pain. I would DEARLY love to have cats, but am dangerously allergic. Le sigh... Will be getting a hypo-allergenic dog in the relatively near future though, so I'm really looking forward to that.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#62 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,544 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 09:53 AM

Gracie update:

The "owner" talked to my friend that had been feeding Gracie. Gave her the cat's shot records last night. A bit late! She claimed to love her and be glad she had a new home (next door neighbor told her about me). But the house has been empty for 2 weeks and she wasn't too worried about the cat. She still owns the house because of some finacial mess of her husband's and his ex's owing the goverment money or something.

Anyway. Her skin problems seem to have resolved without additional medications.

Here's one question: She seems to need to use the computer alot. Do cats have thier own version of Facebook? Catbook? :D

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

smiley-eating-pizza-slice-emoticon.gif

#63 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,751 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:13 AM

Oh i miss my kitty cat. My mom had her before i was born and the cat claimed me as her own (long story short, she abandoned her babies and wanted nothing to do with them (when my mom took her in she was already expecting)). So yep, i could do anything (and i mean anything) to her and she wouldn't hurt me at all. If someone else were to try it, lets just say they'd loose something important to them. I think i have a picture somewhere of me dragging her around with by her tail (i was like two when that occured), or when i would dress her up in baby clothes....

Poor thing was crosseyed though. She'd take a running jump at the cat tree we had for her and half the time youd hear a thump from where she would hit the wall.

She loved baths and you had to keep the door shut if you didn't want company. She'd sit on the edge and bat at the water, then slink in.

She walked on a lesh like a dog and was often the spectacul at road stops. She also enjoyed car rides.

She was 19 (almost twenty) when we had to put her down. I miss her so much.

I can't have cats anymore though, both me and my mom are allergic. We think it was because we used to give her so many baths, that she never bothered us.

#64 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:23 AM

Gracie update:

The "owner" talked to my friend that had been feeding Gracie. Gave her the cat's shot records last night. A bit late! She claimed to love her and be glad she had a new home (next door neighbor told her about me). But the house has been empty for 2 weeks and she wasn't too worried about the cat. She still owns the house because of some finacial mess of her husband's and his ex's owing the goverment money or something.

Anyway. Her skin problems seem to have resolved without additional medications.

Here's one question: She seems to need to use the computer alot. Do cats have thier own version of Facebook? Catbook? :D

Cats want ON anything you pay attention to: books, newspapers, computer. It's their way of asking you to reassure them they are the most important thing in your world??
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#65 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,336 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

Could be using CDate...looking for the purrfect dude?

You did the right thing by Gracie and she is home now. Maybe her skin issues resolved because you gave her good healthy food with omegas. Lucky kitty --finding Karen. ;)

And, that's a very nice fish, K. Clever girl. :)

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#66 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,938 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 03:26 PM

Karen, a while back you asked about kitty treats. We tried Nutro Natural Choice Indoor Active Health recently, and Tyler loves it.

Got it at Pets Plus as a trial size for $1.99 :)

So happy to hear Gracie is doing well!
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#67 Jodster72

Jodster72

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

Congrats on your new addition Karen:)
The kneading is a definite sign f affection and of course kitty is telling you that younare now owned lol
We have a 3 year old tabby who owns us and two 18 month old orphans we took in and bottle fed when they were just an hour old. Those two not only own us, but rule the roost with our yorkie poo who thinks she is their mother , therefore the three of them n turn call all the shots lol
Soooooo... Welcome to the world of cats..it's an amazing one and not boo many dull moments....and bless your heart for taking in your new four legged friend:)
Jody

#68 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,544 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 05:46 PM

The sweetest Kitty is having a Kitty Freak-out! M, my 16 yr old, just put a very thin collar with a little tag on her. She is racing around trying to outrun the collar.

She tries to slip out the front door. We are wise to her and she hasn't gone anywhere yet, but we thought we should put our phone number on her.

LTES

You better cut the pizza in four pieces, because I'm not hungry enough to eat six. ~Yogi Berra

#69 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,325 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 06:35 PM

Can't outrun the collar!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#70 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 07:29 PM

Karen
We have a rescue cat that we got who was already.de clawed so he's an indoor cat
he would sneak out rarely but we got 2 little tiny bells to put on his collar that also helps to know where is in the house and easier to find if he ever got out.
Judy in Southern CA

#71 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:01 PM

K, make sure it's a breakaway collar so if she's stuck she won't strangle herself.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#72 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 10 October 2012 - 09:07 PM

K, make sure it's a breakaway collar so if she's stuck she won't strangle herself.

Lost more collars that way. Finally gave up because her fur got all matted around the collar anyway, fuzzball that she is. If she gets out and gets lost, she is on her own :ph34r: Perhaps I could get her microchipped?? :unsure:
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

#73 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,667 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 04:01 AM

The sweetest Kitty is having a Kitty Freak-out! M, my 16 yr old, just put a very thin collar with a little tag on her. She is racing around trying to outrun the collar.

She tries to slip out the front door. We are wise to her and she hasn't gone anywhere yet, but we thought we should put our phone number on her.

I'd run to if I saw that huge mouth coming at me open! LOL
Seriously though, there is a company called Pet Tags that makes collars with your pets name and your phone number. We have had them for all our pets. Came in real handy one day years ago when I let my old Westie out. I had a phone call a few minutes later from a neighbor saying that my dog was in their yard playing with their kids. He'd only been out for 5 minutes! He had doggie Alzheimers and never would have found his way home if not for that collar. They do make break-away ones for kitties also. Microchips are also a good idea but can be pricey. Talk to your vet about them.
http://www.pettags.com/
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#74 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,544 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 08:50 AM

I'd run to if I saw that huge mouth coming at me open! LOL
Seriously though, there is a company called Pet Tags that makes collars with your pets name and your phone number. We have had them for all our pets. Came in real handy one day years ago when I let my old Westie out. I had a phone call a few minutes later from a neighbor saying that my dog was in their yard playing with their kids. He'd only been out for 5 minutes! He had doggie Alzheimers and never would have found his way home if not for that collar. They do make break-away ones for kitties also. Microchips are also a good idea but can be pricey. Talk to your vet about them.
http://www.pettags.com/

Thanks for that link. I think I will order one. She really hates the tag and somehow manages to chew on it.

We took her to the vet and our main worry was that she would be sick. I completely forgot about the microchip. I'm worried a previous owner might have a chip in her with thier info. Some of the shelters here microchip all the animals. I want an obvious phone number so someone could say "Is that Gracie? What is she doing out?" and know its Gracie.

LTES

#75 kareng

kareng

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,544 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 12:45 PM

An update: First time I have seen them both on Cooper's bed. Its a prime sunshine spot. Sorry its a little small.

Attached Files

LTES

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: