21 replies to this topic

#1 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:43 AM

Things are getting desperate in the job search area in my life. Lately I have been seriously considering going back to what I have the most experience in which is cooking. I have been thinking about going to a nursing home or hospital and seeing if I can get a job in their nutrition dept. I know from experience that cooking in these places is a lot different from cooking in a restaurant (I have done both). My thinking is that having a celiac working in a food service that must deal with peoples allergies and intolerances might be advantagous to both them and me. Plus these type of work environments generally have health insurance as a benefit, something I haven't had in a long time.
My kids seem to think the idea is crazy. What do you guys think?
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:45 AM

Doesn't seem crazy to me. Baking probably wouldn't be involved. That might be the only thing I would really worry about.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:50 AM

I think it's a brilliant idea (and I would just avoid any baking as well).

Knowing your kind nature, this would be ideal for them to have you on staff.

Good luck, Raven!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#4 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 11:52 AM

Far from crazy, I think it sounds awesome. It's heartwrenching to read of hospitalized celiacs having problems getting safe food. :angry:
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:01 PM

I think that sounds like a wonderful idea ~ good luck in your job search ~ they will be lucky to have you :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#6 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

I don't see how you could keep yourself safe in that environment if they bake or use wheat flour in the kitchen at all. Gloves and masks can only do so much. Just thinking about how you would manage your health, not trying to put a damper on your dream.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#7 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:42 PM

I would think most hospital environments would not be baking on site- perhaps I'm wrong about that. But if it's possible for you to do it safely, I think it's a fantastic idea. I've considered something similar for myself.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#8 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:43 PM

Yea I wouldn't be able to bake. But at the time I worked in the hospital cafe there was no baking. All breads etc were premade. I am hoping that is still the case. I don't know about nursing homes but I guess I will find out over the coming weeks.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

#9 mbrookes

mbrookes

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 12:54 PM

Sounds like a really good idea. Do you have any training in the nutrition field? They might have regulations that require that if you want to have input into the menu or recipes. I salute you for looking for solutions rather that moaning about your situation.

#10 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 01:17 PM

Sounds like a really good idea. Do you have any training in the nutrition field? They might have regulations that require that if you want to have input into the menu or recipes. I salute you for looking for solutions rather that moaning about your situation.

I only had one nutrition class while working on my Human Service degree however before I worked in the hospital previously I had years of experience working in a restuarant that was the only one in town that dealt with folks with food allergies. I stopped cooking and went to college because all my doctors said it was the stress of the job that was making me sick. I don't expect to have input into the menus, the nutritionists and head cooks do those. I would however be able to keep naturally gluten-free foods safe as far as the handling goes and let folks know what is safe and what isn't that is coming from the main kitchen and off my grill.

#11 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:05 PM

Yea I wouldn't be able to bake. But at the time I worked in the hospital cafe there was no baking. All breads etc were premade. I am hoping that is still the case. I don't know about nursing homes but I guess I will find out over the coming weeks.

I worked a nursing home for a while and all baked stuff/desserts were brought in frozen. We would sit them out to thaw and then someone would portion them. Good luck to you in you job hunt.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

“Ah, but I was so much older then, I’m younger than that now

#12 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 02:24 PM

I think this is a great idea....but you might also consider taking it even further and starting your own consulting business (since you have a cooking background) to train the staff's of nursing homes and elder-care community housing in the preparing and serving of gluten-free meals, etc. I believe in patient advocacy...and this area is currently very lacking in skilled personnel.

#13 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

I think this is a great idea....but you might also consider taking it even further and starting your own consulting business (since you have a cooking background) to train the staff's of nursing homes and elder-care community housing in the preparing and serving of gluten-free meals, etc. I believe in patient advocacy...and this area is currently very lacking in skilled personnel.

YES!!! Wise thoughts, Rosie! I could not agree more. I have been thinking a lot about people in nursing homes who may be in need of this service. People in mental health wards. People who look to food pantries and do not get what they need from the available stock. When I feel better, I think I will help the local food pantries stock a few shelves with gluten-free supplies.

My biggest fear is I will end up in the hospital or a rehab facility (but I have people who will bring me food).... what about the rest of the gluten-free population without resources? :(

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#14 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,746 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:32 PM

My biggest fear is I will end up in the hospital or a rehab facility (but I have people who will bring me food).... what about the rest of the gluten-free population without resources? :(

Yea, as I have said to friends there are two places that if I ever went into them I would likely never leave alive, a hospital or a jail.

#15 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 03 September 2012 - 03:46 PM

Yea, as I have said to friends there are two places that if I ever went into them I would likely never leave alive, a hospital or a jail.

Sweets, as long as you have friends and family, you'll never have to worry. If you ever get arrested, I'd be stunned. :lol:

I have thought about a chain with a dog tag welded around my neck saying "DO NOT feed me gluten".

"LTES"  Gem 2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: