arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

So Confused - Could This Be Something Other Than Celiac?

• Please log in to reply

20 replies to this topic

#16 justlisa

justlisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 09:37 PM

Two things:

You need to find out the results of your biopsy. Is it MRSA? I'm a bit concerned with the antibiotics "switch"... Your biopsy result should indicate which antibiotics your particular bacteria strain is susceptible to... Very important. It is, also, very important to finish an antibiotic IF your strain is susceptible to the antibiotic.

And...

As for gluten... CC while eating out...in a "shared" kitchen...etc...is difficult to avoid...

And (well, I guess I'll add a third thing)...

If you've been cycling through antibiotics, yeast could be a concern for you... If so, you'll need some additional changes to your diet and supplementation...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:56 AM

Oh, just a note about postpartum rashes.

I had one in my chest after mastitis that was "unknown" or assumed to be yeast. Well, it lasted 8 months. I was on multiple rounds of yeast meds, antibiotics because my breasts continued to hurt (difficult to distinguish skin pain from tissue pain with swollen milk boobs).

I stopped nursing (pumping, actually - he never latched) and that rash disappeared overnight.

Who knows what it was - DH, whatever. But hormones sure kept it active. I think a lot of women find rashes are hormone sensitive even if they aren't caused by hormones.

Anyway, don't mean to muddy the dx waters, but that's how it went for me...my body was a wreck (most are after childbirth with untreated AI disease) and it was doing weird things.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if your rash is stubborn simply because of the state your body is in, and I wouldn't be surprised if they throw 200 meds at you.

Am I correct to remember we all usually have staph on our skin, even without an infection? Are they assuming its a staph infection because that's the culture that came back?

Justlisa's questions sound like good ones.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#18 ErinIsabel

ErinIsabel

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:58 AM

Two things:

You need to find out the results of your biopsy. Is it MRSA? I'm a bit concerned with the antibiotics "switch"... Your biopsy result should indicate which antibiotics your particular bacteria strain is susceptible to... Very important. It is, also, very important to finish an antibiotic IF your strain is susceptible to the antibiotic.

And...

As for gluten... CC while eating out...in a "shared" kitchen...etc...is difficult to avoid...

And (well, I guess I'll add a third thing)...

If you've been cycling through antibiotics, yeast could be a concern for you... If so, you'll need some additional changes to your diet and supplementation...

Thanks justlisa. The biopsy results showed that it IS staph but NOT the MSRA strain (thank goodness - I know it is very aggressive and doesn't react to most antibiotics). Before we even got the positive staph diagnosis, my dr put me on bactrim - i tried to take all of it - i lasted 5 days (i was supposed to take it for 7). On the sixth day, I couldn't take it anymore. i was literally shaking, sweating, heart racing, severe anxiety, not able to sleep at all, it was a disaster. I couldn't get out of bed, much less go to work. I had already called once on about the 2nd day of the the bactrim to tell her that i was having those symptoms and she said it 'couldn't be from the meds' and to continue taking them. however, it just got worse so on the 5th day i basically refused to take any more of them. i honestly felt like i was poisoning myself. So she started me on Keflex, which i've now been taking for a few weeks - the biopsy did show that this staph infection IS susceptible to it. I'll ask her about the yeast thing. I'm planning to call her today to ask whether she did the DH test - i did ask her about it on my original visit but she said that this had 'nothing to do with celiac'.

#19 ErinIsabel

ErinIsabel

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:08 AM

Oh, just a note about postpartum rashes.

I had one in my chest after mastitis that was "unknown" or assumed to be yeast. Well, it lasted 8 months. I was on multiple rounds of yeast meds, antibiotics because my breasts continued to hurt (difficult to distinguish skin pain from tissue pain with swollen milk boobs)...

Am I correct to remember we all usually have staph on our skin, even without an infection? Are they assuming its a staph infection because that's the culture that came back?

Thanks pricklypear1971... you poor thing! that sounds awful. Luckily, the 2 lesions on my head do seem to be healing... I'm sort of expecting more to pop up though. i guess only time will tell. I wonder if it does have something to do with breastfeeding though... i'm planning on continuing until my little one is at least a year so if that's part of why these things on my head are being so stubborn i'll be so bummed! No issues with my boobs yet ;) Yes - we do all have staph on our skin - i'm a little foggy on how it goes from being 'normal' on ones skin to suddenly becoming an 'infection' but i think it has something to do with having a compromised immune system. The dr told me that because of everything my body has gone through in the past few months, my immune system has been severely compromised and that's likely why this has happened...

The thing i'm worried about is this: If antibiotics are part of what has caused all of these issues in the first place, it's a little scary to be taking TWO full months of them now. I know i absolutely need to take them due to the staph infection - it sounds like it's very contagious and with my two little ones running around i just can't take a chance like that. but i just worry that as i'm getting rid of the staph, i'm continuing to get rid of the healthy flora in my gut (something that it seems i REALLY need right now)...

#20 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:00 AM

Thanks pricklypear1971... you poor thing! that sounds awful. Luckily, the 2 lesions on my head do seem to be healing... I'm sort of expecting more to pop up though. i guess only time will tell. I wonder if it does have something to do with breastfeeding though... i'm planning on continuing until my little one is at least a year so if that's part of why these things on my head are being so stubborn i'll be so bummed! No issues with my boobs yet ;) Yes - we do all have staph on our skin - i'm a little foggy on how it goes from being 'normal' on ones skin to suddenly becoming an 'infection' but i think it has something to do with having a compromised immune system. The dr told me that because of everything my body has gone througOh in the past few months, my immune system has been severely compromised and that's likely why this has happened...

The thing i'm worried about is this: If antibiotics are part of what has caused all of these issues in the first place, it's a little scary to be taking TWO full months of them now. I know i absolutely need to take them due to the staph infection - it sounds like it's very contagious and with my two little ones running around i just can't take a chance like that. but i just worry that as i'm getting rid of the staph, i'm continuing to get rid of the healthy flora in my gut (something that it seems i REALLY need right now)...

Take a super duper multi strain probiotic every day. Eat as much RAW fruit and veggies as you can. I say raw because you need every chance to repopulate your digestive system and raw will have more good bugs than cooked. Try kefir if you can stand it - you can buy it or make it. Drink kombachu if you like it. Cultured kimchee, sauerkraut, pickles....

You'll get through this.

I'm very happy to hear the rash is healing.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#21 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:55 PM

Take a super duper multi strain probiotic every day. Eat as much RAW fruit and veggies as you can. I say raw because you need every chance to repopulate your digestive system and raw will have more good bugs than cooked. Try kefir if you can stand it - you can buy it or make it. Drink kombachu if you like it. Cultured kimchee, sauerkraut, pickles....

You'll get through this.

I'm very happy to hear the rash is healing.

This is good advice. I would take the probiotic more than once a day. And continue for a long time after the antibiotics have ended. I personally do not function properly without my daily probiotic.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: