6 replies to this topic

#1 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

It's almost fall here in Northern Maine, leaves are changing, the air is crisp, nightfall comes earlier, and I've managed to get tonsilitis, yet again...it should be a national holiday after all of these years, my contracting tonsilitis marks the beginning of fall and spring each year, how awesome...not. 😳😳 Anyone noticing any fall changes where they are?? I refuse to decorate for another week, or so, well perhaps when I feel better lol (a week or so lol) I <3 fall, it might be my favorite season. If you've never seen Maine in the fall I highly reccomend it, it's absolutely amazing! Mt. Katahdin is absolutely breath taking this time of year! Happy almost Fall to you all!! ☺☺☺
~**caselynn**~

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:36 AM

Other than the food (especially seafood) and my friends, the thing I miss most about New England is the leaves in the fall. Not only the color, but what I miss most is the SMELL. A friend actually sends me a box of leaves each fall so I can smell them!

It won't be fall here in South Dakota for quite a while yet. It's still HOT!! Today it's only in the high 70's but it's supposed to go to 90 again later this week. The fire danger is still high. It's unusual for this time of year, but nothing we can do about it.

When fall DOES come it is beautiful. We don't get a lot of reds, mostly every shade of yellow you can think of, from deep gold to bright, almost florescent yellow. The Needles Highway and Spearfish Canyon are a lot like the Kankamangus Highway in New Hampshire - it's where all the leaf peepers go, but the traffic isn't nearly as bad.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 11:04 AM

I noticed a bit of red and yellow in the trees yesterday, when out for a drive. Of all the season transitions, this is both my most favorite and my least fvorite. It's the prettiest, best weather, and the SMELL! I'm so with you caselynn. I love walking in the fall so much. But it's also a transition to cold, my least favorite season. Blechh... Stupid CT snow. I know they get more snow in Maine, but at least in Maine they know how to plow.....
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:22 PM

We've had leaves changing for quite awhile already. Our night lows are getting down to only 6-7 Celsius. And you think Maine and Conneticut winters are bad - they are nothing like ours here in Alberta! We have snow on the ground for a good six months and the temperatures are often -40C OR -40F for weeks on end. Our vehicles have square tires, even when in the garage, and our eyelashes freeze in 90 seconds. It is just not right! :angry: But I am enjoying Autumn while I can. We go to Croatia for a month soon - when we return it will be winter here. Double :angry: . Oh, well. At least our winters kill off many insects! :D Have to look at the bright side...
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#5 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

2 reasons CT winters are bad: because of the deplorable disorganization of the plowing system. And, I used to work in the industry of wrecked accident vehicles. Yeah, people in CT have NO IDEA HOW TO DRIVE!!!! You're taking your life in your hands to drive from late November to early April. Well, anytime really, but boy does it get worse in the weather...

So, it's really got nothing to do with the weather. You totally win there.
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#6 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,605 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:37 PM

Bunnie, I WISH our roads here were plowed as well as they were in Connecticut! In my town they don't plow if there is less than four inches on the road, and if it falls on a weekend they don't plow at all! (They don't want to pay the overtime.) The state roads get plowed, but none of the city streets. And they don't use salt at all. That's good for the cars and the environment, but really bad when you get to the stop sign at the bottom af the hill and it is glare ice. They don't even drop some sand! (too expensive) I have many times, slid right through that stop at the end of my street and right into traffic. And I can't tell you how many times I have slid down the big hill on the way to my house, backward or sideways, while cars climbing up it steer around me.

I'm fortunate that we don't get much snow here. In the eight years I have lived here we have only had one major storm. It dropped two feet of snow on a Sunday, and by Tuesday it had all melted. But we do get two or three inches frequently and every year I swear I'm going to get studded snow tires. And every year something else comes up so I can't afford them.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#7 ~**caselynn**~

~**caselynn**~

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

Haha oh you guys are cracking me up! Plowing is a disaster everywhere I think, but I must admit, most people know how to drive in the snow here...after the first couple storms that is! I only like snow for the first couple storms, I guess until Christmas is over, then I'm ready for spring lol so I pack up and visit my brother in Tampa! It's a pretty decent winter getaway, if I may say so myself! As for the cold, we get -40F from time to time, most days are 0- -20 or so, theres always a flippin wind chill 😖last winter was rather warm, 20's a lot...heat wave!! Haha it usually lasts around 6 months,Nov - April, but I prefer less haha! As for right now, it's still 70ish during the day and 50's at night....winter is coming, ereekkkkkk!!!!!!
~**caselynn**~

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: