Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Celiac disease immunotherapy that would replace a gluten-free diet begins ... - MedCity News

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 admin

admin

Administrator

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,288 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:32 AM

Celiac disease immunotherapy that would replace a gluten-free diet begins ...
MedCity News
The lead product from Cambridge, Massachusetts drug company ImmusanT is Nexvax2, an immunotherapy that uses a series of peptides to reprogram T cells triggered by gluten, a protein found in wheat, barley and rye, in patients with celiac disease.

View the full article
Scott Adams
Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator
Founder Gluten-Free Mall
Founder Celiac.com

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:04 AM

"Along with the drug, ImmusanT has developed a companion blood test to identify HLA-DQ2 celiac patients. ďItís a fairly common genetic subtype, and it doesnít mean that a patient definitely has celiac, but itís a rule-out test,Ē Williams said. ďIf they donít have the gene, they donít have celiac disease. That is one of the key things that we want to bring to attention"

I don't have DQ2 so I guess that means I can go back to eating gluten. Yippeee!!!!!!!! Guess my recovery on the diet and extreme reactions to gluten are 'all in my head'.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:38 PM

It sounds good, but the side effects from the early trials included nausea for almost half of the test subjects. I guess it's easy to live a full gluten lifestyle if you're too nauseous to eat anything.

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:04 PM

"Along with the drug, ImmusanT has developed a companion blood test to identify HLA-DQ2 celiac patients. ďItís a fairly common genetic subtype, and it doesnít mean that a patient definitely has celiac, but itís a rule-out test,Ē Williams said. ďIf they donít have the gene, they donít have celiac disease. That is one of the key things that we want to bring to attention"

I don't have DQ2 so I guess that means I can go back to eating gluten. Yippeee!!!!!!!! Guess my recovery on the diet and extreme reactions to gluten are 'all in my head'.

I would really like to see the research Williams is using for that.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:42 PM

Hmmm reprogramming my T cells so that I can "safely" ingest gluten -- interesting, but I'll stick with living gluten free.

Zonulin research to possibly aid in healing of our highly permeable small intestines along with research to produce enzymes that can aid in protecting our system from small amounts of gluten/CC while dining out are both more interesting to me than genetic manipulation for now.

My wish list for Celiac Disease research would include accurate testing for both Celiac Disease and Gluten Intolerance AND that those accurate tests be ordered by doctors in EVREY case that presents with gastrointestinal and autoimmune symptoms. It would have been very beneficial to have been diagnosed a few decades earlier. I remain hopeful that early diagnosis will come for others in the future -- of course prevention does not provide avenue for the production of new pharmaceutical products - so I may be waiting a very long time.

Guess I'll choose to focus on the fact that all research with regard to Celiac Disease adds some information to the puzzle and try to find a patience tree to pick some fruit off of - my supply seems to be running a bit low ;)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: