22 replies to this topic

#1 buckwheat

buckwheat

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

There are several ones out there that claim to be gluten free. Anyone have any problems with any of the major brands CC?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 12:52 PM

I use Mission white corn tortillas, marked gluten-free on the back. No problem.

I use Tostitos restaurant (white corn) chips and Tostitos organic blue corn chips, both marked gluten-free.

I also buy another brand of blue corn tortilla chips, but can't remember the name, but it is marked gluten-free.

I have had good luck with corn tortillas and chips so far.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 01:00 PM

I stick with Mission brand.

#4 jebby

jebby

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 177 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 05:12 PM

I have never gotten sick from the Mission White Corn ones. I have gotten sick from La Banderita.

#5 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

So is it ok to still eat tortillas and tortilla chips, even though they are sometimes overly processed? This is the only thing in my diet I was adamate about keeping, but I'm afraid it is what might be causing the pounds to slowly but steadily creep on (I'm on day 16 of gluten-free diet, gained 5 lbs in a week).
lymphocytic colitis 8/1/12
diagnosed w/celiacs 8/14/12
gluten-free 8/14/12
dairy free, grain free, corn free 10/9/12

#6 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,308 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:27 AM

You can keep them in your diet. The amount of calories you choose to consume is your choice.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#7 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:32 AM

I'm lucky if I get in 1200 calories, but tortilla chips are like a staple in my life - I use them to replace croutons on my salads. Just wasn't sure if that was ok :)
gluten-free 8/14/12

#8 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,308 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:41 AM

I'm lucky if I get in 1200 calories, but tortilla chips are like a staple in my life - I use them to replace croutons on my salads. Just wasn't sure if that was ok :)

I like them on salad, too. Just check the brand you are buying for ingredients. I once saw a brand with "wheat" flour in it.

If you live in the US, here is a list of the ones that Frito Lay will say are gluten-free. Other may be but these are the ones they test. I get Santitos all the time and my fat behind loves them. :P

http://www.fritolay....ngredients.html

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#9 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:06 AM

Who knew Cheetos were gluten free! Too funny. I recently found a brand called Garden of Eatin' that has blue corn chips made with "organic blue corn" that I'm inlove with. Like every other chip though, they are processed. Everything else I eat is super clean, except the chips! ;)
gluten-free 8/14/12

#10 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 10:08 AM

Who knew Cheetos were gluten free! Too funny. I recently found a brand called Garden of Eatin' that has blue corn chips made with "organic blue corn" that I'm inlove with. Like every other chip though, they are processed. Everything else I eat is super clean, except the chips! ;)

Tortilla chips are my crack.

Used to be Junior Mints, but we had a falling out...

Look, eating "clean" and "whole" isn't a strict rules-based ideology. Well, at least for me. Some people have rules - I just eat what works. My "guideline" is very little processed stuff and very little gluten-free grains.

Of course, I can't control myself if tortilla chips are in the house so I don't BUY them very often. And when I do, I pig out. Zero control. It's embarrassing.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#11 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,159 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 11:33 AM

Some other things you could try are Food Should Taste Good sweet potato chips or olive chips. Once you have been on the gluten-free and whole food diet a while and gotten better, you can try adding some processed foods back in. Look for foods that have minimal ingredients and no chemicals. Mission brand is good. There is also a new Rudi's brand tortilla wrap coming out but I haven't tried it.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#12 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

Mission brand doesn't state they are gluten free? They had always been my "crack" until a few weeks ago, and I was afraid to continue eating them not knowing. I did however find a Tostito's Simply Natural brand today with only 3 ingredients - organic yellow corn, sunflower oil and sea salt. ;) They are good!
gluten-free 8/14/12

#13 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:12 PM

Mission brand doesn't state they are gluten free? They had always been my "crack" until a few weeks ago, and I was afraid to continue eating them not knowing. I did however find a Tostito's Simply Natural brand today with only 3 ingredients - organic yellow corn, sunflower oil and sea salt. ;) They are good!

A lot of us do use Mission Brand corn tortillas and they are made on dedicated lines. This from their FAQs:

Are wheat flour tortillas produced in the same lines as corn products?
No, our corn production lines are dedicated to corn products only. Wheat Flour tortillas are produced in dedicated lines.

http://missionfoods.com/Faqs.aspx

Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#14 luvrdeo

luvrdeo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 01:15 PM

A lot of us do use Mission Brand corn tortillas and they are made on dedicated lines. This from their FAQs:

Are wheat flour tortillas produced in the same lines as corn products?
No, our corn production lines are dedicated to corn products only. Wheat Flour tortillas are produced in dedicated lines.

http://missionfoods.com/Faqs.aspx

Ahhh thank you for that information!
gluten-free 8/14/12

#15 sa1937

sa1937

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts