20 replies to this topic

#1 bossley

bossley

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:16 PM

I've been gluten free for four months, whole foods for the past two weeks. No change. Still as bloated as when I first started. It's depressing. It's always the same no matter what I eat or don't eat. I have had bloating for the last 6-7 years with not one hour of relief. Blood test for celiac was neg, colonopscopy was perfect. Dr. just said IBS and sent me on my way. I asked to go to an allergest, he said I didn't need to,he could do it with a blood test. That also came back neg. I have to say, He didn't really try too hard. I'm going to just keep eating whole, I don't know else to do.(And start wearing maternity shirts)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

You just have to be patient. Also you may need to cut out dairy. It could be worse trust me :( I know it's frustrating but your tummy needs time to heal from all the damage. I hope it gets better for you soon!
Gluteny - the 8th deadly sin

#3 bossley

bossley

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:05 PM

You just have to be patient. Also you may need to cut out dairy. It could be worse trust me :( I know it's frustrating but your tummy needs time to heal from all the damage. I hope it gets better for you soon!

Thank you, I cut out dairy when I started the whole food diet, soy too. At least my face doesn't swell any more.

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 07:15 PM

Thank you, I cut out dairy when I started the whole food diet, soy too. At least my face doesn't swell any more.

Well, if you keep up with an elimination schedule surely you'll stumble across what triggers your bloating.

Corn is a big culprit. I've heard quite a bit about swelling regarding salicylates and amines. Nightshades are a common group.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 bossley

bossley

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:29 PM

Well, if you keep up with an elimination schedule surely you'll stumble across what triggers your bloating.

Corn is a big culprit. I've heard quite a bit about swelling regarding salicylates and amines. Nightshades are a common group.

I know I read it before, but again...what are salicylates,amines,and night shades. thanks

Also does corn go as any other names in ingreds.

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

I know I read it before, but again...what are salicylates,amines,and night shades. thanks

Also does corn go as any other names in ingreds.

Bartfull is the corn expert. I think there was a corn post earlier, check there.

Google salicylates for lists. Here's one I think us decent. http://fedup.com.au/...ets/salicylates

Amines - I don't have a link. Search this site for it. I know there were lots of posts at one time.

Here's a link about nightshades - it's about arthritis but the list should work. http://arthritis.abo...shade-foods.htm

Some of these eliminations are pretty intense. You can't drop all of them at once (I wouldn't think) and still have much to eat. Think about how you want to proceed.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#7 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:40 PM

It is extremely frustrating, but it will get better. You are doing what you can. By adjusting your diet and asking questions you will figure this out. That your face isn't swelling is a big improvement...give your gut time - it has been bloating for a long time, it may take some time to heal.

You are not alone - it took many months for my digestive symptoms to improve - it was nearly a year before I had a reduction in my joint/muscle pain, fatigue, brain fog, etc. It is often tiny improvement followed by no improvement for a long time. Eventually the tiny improvements add up - make a list of any improvement - changes in skin, hair, nails, gums were some of my first improvements and I had pretty good skin, hair and nails before diagnosis, but poor gums no matter how much care they received over the years.

Hang in there - I'm hopeful your symptoms subside sooner rather than later :)

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#8 bossley

bossley

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:45 PM

Bartfull is the corn expert. I think there was a corn post earlier, check there.

Google salicylates for lists. Here's one I think us decent. http://fedup.com.au/...ets/salicylates

Amines - I don't have a link. Search this site for it. I know there were lots of posts at one time.

Here's a link about nightshades - it's about arthritis but the list should work. http://arthritis.abo...shade-foods.htm

Some of these eliminations are pretty intense. You can't drop all of them at once (I wouldn't think) and still have much to eat. Think about how you want to proceed.

You have been very helpful, I found a pretty good link on night shades, now I'll check out the rest. I wonder if I'm intolerant of air and water.

#9 MitziG

MitziG

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

Dairy is possibly the biggest culprit. That you noticed decreased facial swelling in two weeks is significant. I would go another 2 -4 weeks and see where the bloating stands before eliminating another food group though. It can take up to 6 weeks to clear casein protein from your body I have read, and I know for me that was the case.

#10 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 08:50 PM

You have been very helpful, I found a pretty good link on night shades, now I'll check out the rest. I wonder if I'm intolerant of air and water.

Surely not :). Hang in there, you'll figure it out.

Hashimoto's DX 2005.

#11 frieze

frieze

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

stick to whole foods, weeding out ANY processed foods at all.! AND digestive enzymes, bloat could be the food not being digested properly and sitting there and "fermenting", and what do ya get when someting ferments? think beer/bread, GAS!

#12 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:52 AM

Bossley, here is something I posted on a different thread just yesterday. If you need any more advice about corn I'll be more than glad to help.

"Corn has been a real problem for me. It is in EVERYTHING! There are several corn allergy forums on the web that you should research. Even though we have an intolerance to corn rather than a true allergy, there are a lot of intolerant folks on their forums, and you will find lists of foods and ingredients to watch out for.

Corn is not one of the "top eight" allergens so they don't have to disclose it when corn is used in processing something. It might be used for example (IS used actually) to vitamin fortify things like milk and cereal and rice. It is called a "carrier". It is also the usual carrier for "flavoring", "natural flavor", and often "color".

Corn is in the vegetable wash they use on bagged ready to eat salads and those baby carrots you see in bags at the store. Corn starch is the filler in almost all medications. (I have to have meds made at a compounding pharmacy.) The clear plastic bottles individual servings of water comes in are now made with corn.

If you have skin problems, be careful because some toilet paper, paper towels, facial tissue, and even paper plates have corn in them. Tea bags usually have corn in them. (They use it to help dry the wet paper and to keep it from sticking together.)

After 14 months gluten-free and corn free, I finally got corn starch back. I still couldn't tolerate corn meal and I never even tried corn syrup or corn oil. But then I got glutened by some cross contaminated rice, and it has set me back to square one. As crummy as getting glutened made me feel, the fact that I have lost corn again is the worst part, simply because it is so hard to avoid."

Another thing I forgot to mention in yesterday's post is that those soaker pads you find underneath meats from the grocery store are full of corn starch so you need to wash the meat well before you cook it. Of course you can't wash hamburger, so if you can't find it packaged differently, your best bet is to find a source of ground bison. It's much better for you than hamburger anyway - no hormones, antibiotics, nor any of the other garbage you find in beef nowadays.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#13 bossley

bossley

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:38 AM

Bossley, here is something I posted on a different thread just yesterday. If you need any more advice about corn I'll be more than glad to help.

"Corn has been a real problem for me. It is in EVERYTHING! There are several corn allergy forums on the web that you should research. Even though we have an intolerance to corn rather than a true allergy, there are a lot of intolerant folks on their forums, and you will find lists of foods and ingredients to watch out for.

Corn is not one of the "top eight" allergens so they don't have to disclose it when corn is used in processing something. It might be used for example (IS used actually) to vitamin fortify things like milk and cereal and rice. It is called a "carrier". It is also the usual carrier for "flavoring", "natural flavor", and often "color".

Corn is in the vegetable wash they use on bagged ready to eat salads and those baby carrots you see in bags at the store. Corn starch is the filler in almost all medications. (I have to have meds made at a compounding pharmacy.) The clear plastic bottles individual servings of water comes in are now made with corn.

If you have skin problems, be careful because some toilet paper, paper towels, facial tissue, and even paper plates have corn in them. Tea bags usually have corn in them. (They use it to help dry the wet paper and to keep it from sticking together.)

After 14 months gluten-free and corn free, I finally got corn starch back. I still couldn't tolerate corn meal and I never even tried corn syrup or corn oil. But then I got glutened by some cross contaminated rice, and it has set me back to square one. As crummy as getting glutened made me feel, the fact that I have lost corn again is the worst part, simply because it is so hard to avoid."

Another thing I forgot to mention in yesterday's post is that those soaker pads you find underneath meats from the grocery store are full of corn starch so you need to wash the meat well before you cook it. Of course you can't wash hamburger, so if you can't find it packaged differently, your best bet is to find a source of ground bison. It's much better for you than hamburger anyway - no hormones, antibiotics, nor any of the other garbage you find in beef nowadays.

I think I'll just stick to ice cubes.I don't like food any more.

#14 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:25 AM

I know how you feel! I have often wished I could just get my nutrition intraveinoulsy so I never had to eat at all. But right now I'm living on organic sweet potaotes and well washed meat. Those two things are where most of my nutrition is coming from. I used to really love sweet potatoes but when you eat them every single day you tend to get sick of them.

So I keep reminding myself that eating is a necessary bodily function. I try to forget that it was once a pleasurable experience. I just eat what I must, get it out of the way, then get on with the parts of life that still ARE pleasurable.

And I am thankful that eating such a restricted diet ALLOWS me to feel well enough to enjoy the other good parts of being alive. (Big talk from someone who feels like crying right now. Maybe we can hold each other up through this.)

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#15 bossley

bossley

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:56 AM

I know how you feel! I have often wished I could just get my nutrition intraveinoulsy so I never had to eat at all. But right now I'm living on organic sweet potaotes and well washed meat. Those two things are where most of my nutrition is coming from. I used to really love sweet potatoes but when you eat them every single day you tend to get sick of them.

So I keep reminding myself that eating is a necessary bodily function. I try to forget that it was once a pleasurable experience. I just eat what I must, get it out of the way, then get on with the parts of life that still ARE pleasurable.

And I am thankful that eating such a restricted diet ALLOWS me to feel well enough to enjoy the other good parts of being alive. (Big talk from someone who feels like crying right now. Maybe we can hold each other up through this.)

I'm still sort of new to this and you know so much, but I,m there for you if you just want to vent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: