22 replies to this topic

#16 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

I gotcha now...Medrol! Some implant dentists like to use that after surgery to help with swelling but my old stand-by for that is Ibuprofin. It works well for me so I always avoid the steroids. But that's an individual choice and if you want to take it to feel better, then do so. I will add one thing to think about and I hope I am not overwhelming you. You say you have strep a lot and you still have your tonsils? I had that also when I was 14 years old....and probably already a Celiac. I used to get strep about 4 times per year for 2 years and that is not good. The doctor I had thought the problem was my tonsils. They looked fine but sometimes, they can harbor bacteria like strep. If you use antibiotics repeatedly for these infections, they never quite knock it down completely and some left-over strep germs can hang out in your tonsils. The tonsils are part of the immune system, like lymph nodes.
Then the cycle starts all over again.

Well....he took out my tonsils at 14 and I never had another strep throat again and I am 53 years old. I know that sounds crazy but it worked and I think he was right. I think all your issues are connected. It's like the domino effect. You have undiagnosed Celiac and get run down. That in turn can run your adrenals down and you get sick a lot. Thyroid issues too. You have only been gluten-free for 1 year but don't despair. I went 3 years before all my symptoms went away but they did. You still might develop issues because eating gluten-free does not guarantee no medical problems but I can guarantee you that in a couple more years, things will change and you'll be healthier. Just give it time because that's the worst part....the time it takes to heal. You'll get there. :)

I don't think I really get sick a lot. I used to work in a retail store and it was around that time and when I was in high school that I got strep more. It's actually slowed down now that I work in a hospital because I'm not in close contact with patients as much. My mom asked drs so many times about getting my tonsils out because of the strep. Unfortunately I think when this was happening is when drs decided its bad to remove them unless you're being strangled by them <_< So I kinda dropped it after that. And I actually had a dr suggest using a Waterpik to clean out the crypts in my tonsils. :huh: So you're saying you want me to stick a high pressure Waterpik in the back of my throat? Really? Uuugghhh I swear lol The thought of an adult tonsillectomy scares the crap out of me. Especially now with my blood situation. But you know how I said the dr wanted me to see a hematologist well I looked at the referral they gave me and it was for an ENT dr. So maybe it was meant for me to go to both. Everything you say makes sense about the tonsils and the immune system. I used to get a lot of ear infections as a kid too.

Did you ever have problems with acne? This whole being an adult with pimples thing isn't cute anymore lol Not that it ever was cute :huh: I get cystic type acne that take forever to go away. A lot of them are along my jawline next to my tonsils! So that can make a sore throat worse when you have painful bumps in the same area. I've read that acne can be from food allergies, thyroid, hormones, adrenals. I've also read that b5 can help with it. I'm taking b12 right now and got a b complex that I took for a few days but I think it made me sleepy. I was going to take just the b5&12, but I read taking a lot of one of the other b vitamins can cause an imbalance in the other ones. Ok I'm rambling lol Any thoughts? :D
Gluteny - the 8th deadly sin

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:08 AM

I don't think I really get sick a lot. I used to work in a retail store and it was around that time and when I was in high school that I got strep more. It's actually slowed down now that I work in a hospital because I'm not in close contact with patients as much. My mom asked drs so many times about getting my tonsils out because of the strep. Unfortunately I think when this was happening is when drs decided its bad to remove them unless you're being strangled by them <_< So I kinda dropped it after that. And I actually had a dr suggest using a Waterpik to clean out the crypts in my tonsils. :huh: So you're saying you want me to stick a high pressure Waterpik in the back of my throat? Really? Uuugghhh I swear lol The thought of an adult tonsillectomy scares the crap out of me. Especially now with my blood situation. But you know how I said the dr wanted me to see a hematologist well I looked at the referral they gave me and it was for an ENT dr. So maybe it was meant for me to go to both. Everything you say makes sense about the tonsils and the immune system. I used to get a lot of ear infections as a kid too.

Did you ever have problems with acne? This whole being an adult with pimples thing isn't cute anymore lol Not that it ever was cute :huh: I get cystic type acne that take forever to go away. A lot of them are along my jawline next to my tonsils! So that can make a sore throat worse when you have painful bumps in the same area. I've read that acne can be from food allergies, thyroid, hormones, adrenals. I've also read that b5 can help with it. I'm taking b12 right now and got a b complex that I took for a few days but I think it made me sleepy. I was going to take just the b5&12, but I read taking a lot of one of the other b vitamins can cause an imbalance in the other ones. Ok I'm rambling lol Any thoughts? :D

That attitude about removing tonsils was rampant when I had mine out in the early 70's but the doctor insisted and he apparently was correct. He was an outside of the box thinker and not the norm. I also had many ear infections and problems as a kid but that has all gone away.

I did have skin problems for years which all cleared up after going gluten free. If you have acne mainly around the jaw line, as opposed to the rest of your face, it can indicate an intestinal problem. Toxins pretty much come out through your skin at some point and I could never find a solution until I went gluten free and that was one of the amazing results of healing. Dermatologists will try and give you Accutane but mine wasn't that bad and I felt it was like using nuclear weaponry to treat a mole hill. It also was a good thing I resisted because I have Sjogren's Syndrome also, which leaves me with very dry eyes and mouth. Accutane completely dries up your oil glands forever and can cause dry eye as a side effect. I would have been screwed today if I had used it. Once I researched the drug, I refused to take it.

You may see results with the gluten free diet but you need to get the other hormonal stuff taken care of because I think having adrenal issues can add to skin problems because of the hormones produced. They produce androgens and estrogen in small amounts in both sexes and any fluctuation in these can cause skin issues.

Learn as much as you can about hormones because, sooner or later, they affect your health and having a little imbalance can really make you feel bad. Knowledge is power! It'll keep the doctors on their toes. ;)

#18 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

That attitude about removing tonsils was rampant when I had mine out in the early 70's but the doctor insisted and he apparently was correct. He was an outside of the box thinker and not the norm. I also had many ear infections and problems as a kid but that has all gone away.

I did have skin problems for years which all cleared up after going gluten free. If you have acne mainly around the jaw line, as opposed to the rest of your face, it can indicate an intestinal problem. Toxins pretty much come out through your skin at some point and I could never find a solution until I went gluten free and that was one of the amazing results of healing. Dermatologists will try and give you Accutane but mine wasn't that bad and I felt it was like using nuclear weaponry to treat a mole hill. It also was a good thing I resisted because I have Sjogren's Syndrome also, which leaves me with very dry eyes and mouth. Accutane completely dries up your oil glands forever and can cause dry eye as a side effect. I would have been screwed today if I had used it. Once I researched the drug, I refused to take it.

You may see results with the gluten free diet but you need to get the other hormonal stuff taken care of because I think having adrenal issues can add to skin problems because of the hormones produced. They produce androgens and estrogen in small amounts in both sexes and any fluctuation in these can cause skin issues.

Learn as much as you can about hormones because, sooner or later, they affect your health and having a little imbalance can really make you feel bad. Knowledge is power! It'll keep the doctors on their toes. ;)

Actually I took accutane about 10 years ago. One day I drove to work and when I would get to work I usually would check myself in the mirror before going in. It's a good thing I did! In the 15 minutes it took me to get to work my face looked like I had just gotten over a sunburn! It wasn't red but it was peeling like crazy! :o I got to where I'd get tape and roll it around my fingers inside out and go over my face like a lint roller! Lol :lol: My face got better to an extent but I still get pimples still have large pores on my chin and upper cheeks. :( my pimples now a lot of times are I guess cystic acne. Just big bumps that hang around for weeks. Lately my chin has been getting small pimples and cystic ones on my jawline. And I seem to be getting a pimple like rash on part of my nose. I'm wondering if it's my b12 :( I actually just started taking a new brand so I'm switching back and praying.

Is there a dr that would handle the adrenal issue and my low estrogen? Or would I need to see a different dr for each? They need to open up an celiac/autoimmune school or something to teach us about all of this lol Sorry I keep asking so many questions. I want to take care of all of this before any permanent damage happens :( And yer so smart! :)

#19 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 06:47 AM

Actually I took accutane about 10 years ago. One day I drove to work and when I would get to work I usually would check myself in the mirror before going in. It's a good thing I did! In the 15 minutes it took me to get to work my face looked like I had just gotten over a sunburn! It wasn't red but it was peeling like crazy! :o I got to where I'd get tape and roll it around my fingers inside out and go over my face like a lint roller! Lol :lol: My face got better to an extent but I still get pimples still have large pores on my chin and upper cheeks. :( my pimples now a lot of times are I guess cystic acne. Just big bumps that hang around for weeks. Lately my chin has been getting small pimples and cystic ones on my jawline. And I seem to be getting a pimple like rash on part of my nose. I'm wondering if it's my b12 :( I actually just started taking a new brand so I'm switching back and praying.

Is there a dr that would handle the adrenal issue and my low estrogen? Or would I need to see a different dr for each? They need to open up an celiac/autoimmune school or something to teach us about all of this lol Sorry I keep asking so many questions. I want to take care of all of this before any permanent damage happens :( And yer so smart! :)

The choice in doctors is a difficult one. Mainstream physicians that you would see are endocrinologists but they tend to not treat a problem unless it gets really bad. I don't know if they believe the concept of adrenal exhaustion vs. out and out failure, like Addison's Disease. This is why so many people walk around feeling like crap. Their doctors tell them they are fine when they really aren't.

I use an alternative physician to manage my thyroid and hormone issues because she has been the only one to think outside the box and actually give me relief. She is an MD, make no mistake about that. I don't make the mistake of going to a chiropractor for adrenal issues....they are not qualified to diagnose or treat that. They are extremely useful for back problems but not adrenal problems. You have to find a physician who will make use of saliva testing. My experience has been the opposite of what mainstream docs will tell you. I had symptoms of menopause for YEARS, in-your-face symptoms, yet the blood work from my PCP "wasn't too bad." So, guess what? They looked at me like I was crazy. However, my saliva testing showed low progesterone and estrogen...which matched my symptoms. So, for me, blood testing isn't always indicative of true levels of hormone. You have to utilize both, but if you have symptoms of something which points in the direction you are suspicious of, don't discount saliva testing.

Maybe you could post which state you live in and someone can help recommend a good doctor who could help you. All of your symptoms are connected....I've heard all this many times before. I have spent a lot of time in the past and now, educating myself to make sure that the doctors wouldn't mess up. You have to be an informed patient, especially when you seek real answers to your problems. Try posting, if you feel comfortable about it, in the doctors section. Good doctors are heard through word of mouth so maybe you will have some luck finding a good one!

Never apologize for asking questions!

#20 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:22 AM

The choice in doctors is a difficult one. Mainstream physicians that you would see are endocrinologists but they tend to not treat a problem unless it gets really bad. I don't know if they believe the concept of adrenal exhaustion vs. out and out failure, like Addison's Disease. This is why so many people walk around feeling like crap. Their doctors tell them they are fine when they really aren't.

I use an alternative physician to manage my thyroid and hormone issues because she has been the only one to think outside the box and actually give me relief. She is an MD, make no mistake about that. I don't make the mistake of going to a chiropractor for adrenal issues....they are not qualified to diagnose or treat that. They are extremely useful for back problems but not adrenal problems. You have to find a physician who will make use of saliva testing. My experience has been the opposite of what mainstream docs will tell you. I had symptoms of menopause for YEARS, in-your-face symptoms, yet the blood work from my PCP "wasn't too bad." So, guess what? They looked at me like I was crazy. However, my saliva testing showed low progesterone and estrogen...which matched my symptoms. So, for me, blood testing isn't always indicative of true levels of hormone. You have to utilize both, but if you have symptoms of something which points in the direction you are suspicious of, don't discount saliva testing.

Maybe you could post which state you live in and someone can help recommend a good doctor who could help you. All of your symptoms are connected....I've heard all this many times before. I have spent a lot of time in the past and now, educating myself to make sure that the doctors wouldn't mess up. You have to be an informed patient, especially when you seek real answers to your problems. Try posting, if you feel comfortable about it, in the doctors section. Good doctors are heard through word of mouth so maybe you will have some luck finding a good one!

Never apologize for asking questions!

Hi :) just wondering if you got your results back and wanted to see how everything is going :)

#21 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 09:17 AM

Hi :) just wondering if you got your results back and wanted to see how everything is going :)

Hi SleepyBunny!

Sorry for the delay but life has been busy and thank you for reminding me!

The results of my adrenal tests were that I am low, low, low in the morning but my noon and afternoon levels are optimal. I do a good job of making up from the low cortisol in the morning. The late night numbers are slightly elevated but not that much at all. It's the morning levels that are the problem, which matches my symptoms perfectly. How to correct that? Well...I already knew what I had to do but don't like the answer.

Cortisol is produced at night from restful sleep. However, the catch is that it's the sleep that is done before midnight that is crucial to cortisol production, so even if you go to bed at midnight and sleep for 8 hours, that doesn't count. I think it has all to do with the circadian rhythm and the way we are supposed to operate. Years ago, people went to bed when it got dark and woke up with the morning light. I don't do that very well.
My opinion has always been that I will have plenty of time to sleep when I am dead. I hate wasting too much time in bed, except for when I am really tired and can go right to sleep. I am supposed to be pushing back my bedtime by an hour and the doc wants me to get 8 hours of sleep, starting at least an hour before midnight. I get about 6 1/2- 7 hours per night, otherwise. I am not doing very well with it because I am busy and I normally don't get home from work until 7:30 so cannot go to bed by 10:30! I am so not a morning person and not so sure I can change that without being annoyed about the whole thing. I am not an easy patient. This is one set of instructions that I find extremely difficult.

I also am low on DHEA so am supplementing with that and that will help with cortisol production also. I am going to try and get to bed earlier but it isn't going to happen every night. I do the best I can. Otherwise, I am OK. I feel a little better in the a.m. so maybe my minimal efforts are helping a bit.

How have you been?

#22 SleepyBunny

SleepyBunny

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 11:26 PM

Hi SleepyBunny!

Sorry for the delay but life has been busy and thank you for reminding me!

The results of my adrenal tests were that I am low, low, low in the morning but my noon and afternoon levels are optimal. I do a good job of making up from the low cortisol in the morning. The late night numbers are slightly elevated but not that much at all. It's the morning levels that are the problem, which matches my symptoms perfectly. How to correct that? Well...I already knew what I had to do but don't like the answer.

Cortisol is produced at night from restful sleep. However, the catch is that it's the sleep that is done before midnight that is crucial to cortisol production, so even if you go to bed at midnight and sleep for 8 hours, that doesn't count. I think it has all to do with the circadian rhythm and the way we are supposed to operate. Years ago, people went to bed when it got dark and woke up with the morning light. I don't do that very well.
My opinion has always been that I will have plenty of time to sleep when I am dead. I hate wasting too much time in bed, except for when I am really tired and can go right to sleep. I am supposed to be pushing back my bedtime by an hour and the doc wants me to get 8 hours of sleep, starting at least an hour before midnight. I get about 6 1/2- 7 hours per night, otherwise. I am not doing very well with it because I am busy and I normally don't get home from work until 7:30 so cannot go to bed by 10:30! I am so not a morning person and not so sure I can change that without being annoyed about the whole thing. I am not an easy patient. This is one set of instructions that I find extremely difficult.

I also am low on DHEA so am supplementing with that and that will help with cortisol production also. I am going to try and get to bed earlier but it isn't going to happen every night. I do the best I can. Otherwise, I am OK. I feel a little better in the a.m. so maybe my minimal efforts are helping a bit.

How have you been?

I know what you mean about not wanting to go to bed early lol it's easier for me to stay up all night cos I know no matter how early I go to bed I'll wake up late either way so I just stay up so I can have a "daytime". I went on a trip a few weeks ago and the friend I stayed with had windows and skylights everywhere. I woke up at 9 lol something I may need to look into. Our house doesn't have many windows and I keep telling my husband we should add windows and skylights but he's not too excited about it. If it helps me wake up earlier I may have to surprise him :D What supplement are you taking for the dhea? Is that all the dr is having you do? I told my regular dr about the whole adrenal fatigue thing me he looked at my saliva tests from the chiro an said he wasn't sure how accurate they were. He drew blood to see where my cortisol was. Surprise surprise it was normal. He took it in the afternoon when it's normal. That's good to hear that you feel a little better in the morning :) Hopefully it'll get better with time :) I can't adopt those sleeping patterns quite yet. I don't get out of work till midnight :( and my schedule rotates every other weekend :(

I've been feeling a little worse lately. I've been sleeping quite a bit. :( I've been depressed about food. If I eat something good (gluten-free and df) but its processed or something like beans chips pasta or rice I feel like crap. I feel heavy and slow. I haven't been eating as often but when I do I've been stuffing myself and have gained a few pounds :( I really feel I have no control sometimes. My stomach rarely growls but my brain says eat sugar, salt, and carbs and once I get going its hard to stop :( I'm trying to eat the way I was before again. I haven't wanted to exercise.. I know ll of this is related. I just have no idea where to start or what to do. I kinda wish I would have gone to the hospital. When I eat the stuff that's not so good I feel better sugar wise even though its probably high when I eat like that. The dr's office actually called last week and said the dr ordered a sugar monitor for me to wear for a week. It's supposed to test my sugar every 5 minutes. I just thought it was odd that I told them about my sugar like a month and a half ago and they're just now calling about this. I'm scared to have a needle stuck in my tummy :(

I'm bald to hear you're doing well. :) Did the dr make any other suggestions? I need to get some determination like you! :) I got some cleaning done tonight so it's a start lol

#23 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,152 posts

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:44 AM

The problem with doing blood cortisol testing is that they do one blood draw only. How is that supposed to check the rhythm of cortisol over an almost 24 hour period? Well.....it's not. They would have to do 4 blood draws at the correct times and they don't believe in that so their method of testing is useless, unless you have Addisons Disease and your cortisol is completely caput. When a doctor states that they aren't sure if the saliva testing is accurate, then I know that doctor does not think outside the box and that's the end of them for me. So called modern medicine does not do well with chronic disease...they keep you sick.

What may be helping me is I am post menopausal and it's a known fact that as you age, and especially after menopause, you require less sleep and will sleep less. I'm not growing anymore like the younguns' so sleep is not needed as much. I am trying to comply with the doctors wishes but I am not getting to bed earlier every night....that just isn't going to happen.
I work full time , have a long commute and work out in the gym 2 nights after work so really! I do have more energy from all the exercise I do and I sleep better because of the exercise so I am trying. What you will have to do is start slow. Really try to change your eating habits at first and then tackle getting to bed a bit earlier on some nights. It isn't easy but you have to at least try. Then when you feel better, try for some exercise or just get out and take a nice walk somewhere. Little bits help.

I take a sublingual DHEA tablet and it's 5 mg. DHEA levels get lower as you age but mine was out of range low. This all plays with the thyroid also....it's all connected. So, by getting to bed earlier at least 3 times per week and taking the DHEA, I should have better luck making my thyroid a little happier. My T4 levels have been a little low but the T3 is fine.
It's work getting everything in balance but if you make your endocrine system work together well, that's more than half the battle with feeling good. I am also a total Type A personality so feeling bad is not an option! :D

Have your blood sugar testing done so you can make sure that is in good working order....that is very important. Needles today are very small so I bet it won't be bad at all. Maybe your chiro can test your DHEA to see if you are low. I doubt your regular doc will do that. Do not supplement unless you know you are low. and yes, getting more light in the morning does help with waking up....its God's little alarm clock. I used to work second shift so know what you mean about getting home at midnight and not jumping right into bed. I loved second shift...it felt very natural to me.

Hang in there but start to think about changing some of your habits, slowly. Read a book in bed before sleep because that usually makes people sleepy. Take a walk. But, above all, work on that diet and get your blood sugar checked because if it's off, you will have great difficulty functioning and feeling well!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: