arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Celiacs, Have You Tested Repeatedly For Trace Of Blood In Urine?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 04:58 AM

When I have had urine tests, I have had a trace of blood in my urine. I think as far back as high school, and perhaps before. That would be more than 30 years.

The MD would always figure it was a trace and not getting worse. It might have to do with my period which was coming or going in a week or so. My anemia was thought perhaps a result of this small amount of consisten blood loss.

Has anyone else experienced this symptom? Did it go away when you went gluten free?

Over the past 5 , when I was testing every month or two, twice my urine tested negative for trace of blood. I am working up my curiousity now, because I have not had it tested since going gluten free.

DT

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 missmellie

missmellie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 05:12 AM

The only thing I can for sure is you're not the only one. I have experienced the same thing and have had multiple tests to find the cause. They finally said "well, some people just have little amounts of blood in their urine and we don't know why." I guess the important thing is to rule out potential serious causes.

Miss Mellie

Aug. 2010 IgA+ Gliadin; IgA+ Casein; IgA+ Egg; IgA+ Soy.
Sept. 2010 IgG+ for cow's milk, peach, yeast, chili pepper, egg white & yolk, lentil, soy, cola nut, coriander/cumin/dill, nutmeg/peppercorn, sesame seed, turkey, and wheat

Hypothyroidism, arthritis, GERD, overweight, chronic sleeping issues

#3 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:26 AM

. They finally said "well, some people just have little amounts of blood in their urine and we don't know why."

Yeah, I have heard that too.

#4 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,711 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 06:58 AM

Yes to blood and in my case also protein. Since I had extreme edema before diagnosis I figure it is from some kidney damage. I don't worry about it since it has been a finding for years.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#5 lynnelise

lynnelise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:40 AM

Do you take asprin or advil? I was told by my doctor that occassional use can cause traces of blood in your urine.

#6 heather806

heather806

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

Yes! For years...was even sent for ultrasounds of the kidneys etc. No cause found. My brother and father have it too. They haven't been tested for celiac though.

#7 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:52 AM

Do you take asprin or advil? I was told by my doctor that occassional use can cause traces of blood in your urine.

I don't think I have since my pregnancies began 24 years ago!

#8 tennisman

tennisman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:09 AM

I did about 5 urine tests last year and all had traces of blood , my gastro doctor thinks I have kidney stones . I did also read a vitamin k deficiency can cause traces of blood in the urine and my GP doctor told me sometimes celiac's have a vitamin k deficiency .
Diagnosed with Coeliac disease in 2003

#9 Finally@45

Finally@45

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 05:49 AM

Frequent urinary tract infections and cystitis are problems for women with Celiac.

Celiac & Mastocytosis

Follows a diet similar to the Paleo diet, minus high-histamine items such as

avocadoes, mangoes, papaya, berries, pork, farm-raised fish, spinach, and seeds.

No eggs or red meat either.

#10 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:53 PM

I did about 5 urine tests last year and all had traces of blood , my gastro doctor thinks I have kidney stones . I did also read a vitamin k deficiency can cause traces of blood in the urine and my GP doctor told me sometimes celiac's have a vitamin k deficiency .

Interesting. Thanks, I am considering this.

#11 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,127 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

Frequent urinary tract infections and cystitis are problems for women with Celiac.

I was tested for infections, but it was negative.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: