5 replies to this topic

#1 kittty

kittty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 07:31 AM

After after having blood work done a couple of weeks ago, and coming back negative for celiac (because I've been off gluten for months before the test was done), I'm wondering what else I should explore with my doctor. I have a follow up appointment in two weeks. She has already said that she considers me gluten intolerant because of the evidence of switching to a gluten-free diet. But should I ask for more tests to see if I'm low on some nutrient levels? Is there a specific test or panel of tests I should ask for?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 08:54 AM

Hi Kitty-

These are the tests my Celiac Doc recommended in additional to Full Celiac Panel - at Dx, at 6 months then annually thereafter:

Bs, D, K, Iron, Ferritin, Copper and Zinc

I've seen others suggest adding vitamin A to the list.

Good luck to you!

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hi Kitty-

These are the tests my Celiac Doc recommended in additional to Full Celiac Panel - at Dx, at 6 months then annually thereafter:

Bs, D, K, Iron, Ferritin, Copper and Zinc

I've seen others suggest adding vitamin A to the list.

Good luck to you!

Thanks a lot!

I had blood tests done a few years ago that pointed towards possible iron, magnesium, and B6 deficiency. I'm interested to see how different things are now.

#4 heather806

heather806

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 06 September 2012 - 09:48 AM

Along with the others GottaSki mentioned, have them check calcium and magnesium too. I've had major calcium problems. (hopefully soon to be resolved since I was diagnosed in June and have been gluten-free since then!) Good luck! Let us know how your tests come out.

#5 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:27 AM

A thyroid check might be a good idea; TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), T4 and TPOAb (thyroid peroxidase anibodies) will give you an idea if you have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, which can show up in celiacs and has many of the same symptoms. A hypo result would be high TSH, low/normal T4 and high TPOAb.

Best wishes.
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#6 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:42 AM

A thyroid check might be a good idea; TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone), T4 and TPOAb (thyroid peroxidase anibodies) will give you an idea if you have Hashimoto's hypothyroidism, which can show up in celiacs and has many of the same symptoms. A hypo result would be high TSH, low/normal T4 and high TPOAb.

Best wishes.

My mom had thyroid problems (hyperthyroid) so they check me for thyroid pretty much every time I have bloodwork done, whether I ask for it or not. It always comes back normal, thankfully!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: