Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Dang! Tomato Paste

25 posts in this topic

I am just recently diagnosed and 6 weeks gluten-free, so I am still learning. My friend's homemade soup last night made me soooo sick so she fished the can out of the garbage and there it was, right on the label: "wheat gluten."

I couldn't believe it! I thought I was a hard-core label checker, but didn't think to bug her about tomato paste after she told me she hadn't used any bullion.

I checked Contadina's website for their "Italian paste with Italian Herbs," and there it is in the ingredient list.

So I'm gonna be sick for another day or two :(

Who knew?

Crazy, ain't it?

"Ingredients List:

Tomato Puree (Tomato Paste, Water), High Fructose Corn Syrup, Salt, Dried Onions, Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil (Soybean And/Or Cottonseed), Spices, Hydrolyzed Corn Gluten, Soy & Wheat Gluten Proteins, Grated Romano Cheese Made From Cow's Milk (Cultured Milk, Salt, Enzymes), Garlic, Citric Acid, Yeast, Soy Flour. Contains Soybeans, Wheat, Milk."

http://contadina.com/products/paste-italian-italian-herbs.aspx

That sucks! I grab Hunt's off the shelf without even reading the label. I trust them, but this serves as a reminder for ME to always check and re-check labels. (When I do buy a different brand, I always do read the ingredients )

Hope you won't feel too badly. :)

So, to be clear, we are not actually talking about something labeled simply as "Tomato Paste."

We are talking about a certain brand of tomato product described as "Italian Paste with Italian Herbs.

That doesn't sound the same to me. I expect "Tomato Paste" to not have herbs and other things added. To me, this is a quite different product--which happens to have tomato paste as one of the ingredients. It does use the words "Tomato Paste" as part of the label description.

I don't even see the "herbs" in the ingredient list, unless they are hidden in "spices." There are a lot things in there that are neither herbs nor tomatoes: cheese, garlic, onions, salt, corn syrup, yeast, soy flour, etc. This is clearly not ordinary tomato paste.

Does anyone know of a product that is described just as "Tomato Paste" that has anything other than tomatoes and possibly water? I don't.

Peter, to be fair, this is one that can throw you, and it IS labeled tomato paste. Look at the cans, they look EXCEPTIONALLY similar (though different) and I don't think you'd first expect the ingredient list to be so different between the two of them. This is a reason to be very critical (in the "observant") sense of what we buy.

Regular tomato paste:

170x245_t_paste.png

Italian Herb tomato paste:

170x245_t_paste_herbs.png

When you compare that to a number of similar products in the same aisle - specifically the other preparations of canned tomatoes (stewed, diced, sauce, etc.) - that DO have "with italian herbs" and other such labels and really do have just herbs added... Well, I think that it's a pretty easy mistake to make if you haven't yet convinced yourself not to assume ANYTHING.

Tiffany, thank you for the photos. The appearance is very similar, even though the products are very different. Bah! "Tomato Paste product with Italian Herbs is in small print. :angry:

Thanks, those photos really show it...

Yes, as you suggest Peter, I expect tomato paste to be made of something simple, like, oh, tomatoes and salt. Never heard of "tomato paste product." Silly me.

Live and learn. I'm hurting and the intestinal "gurgles" were so loud today, I had to walk out of work till they settled down! This from one bowl of soup. Sigh.

Wheat ...... is not an herb. It is not an Italian herb, either.

That was my brand of tomato paste until they started doing that. I think they've managed to increase the number of ingredients to "Frankenstein's bride's made status," since the last time I looked at the label. It is just easier to train the spouse to select another brand which is less likely to be booby-trapped. I still have to read all the labels, but it's less likely to make it past the cash register and then into the pantry. But he has tried picking that up a time or two, and I caught it. I've accidentally picked it up, and put it right back on the shelf.

As someone who has been making traditional spaghetti sauce for decades, recipe from my mother who learned it from her Italian neighbors as a young adult, that mish- mash of cottonseed oil is so deeply offensive... corn syrup... soybeans... in pasta sauce.... that is so gross. And then the wheat in it. <_<

And by the way, I just found out it's not only that Contadina product. My friend checked other "tomato paste" in her cupboard and the ingredients were almost the same. This time it was one of those off-label cheap-o brands called Western Family. No "Italian herbs" but yes wheat gluten.:(

The lesson here is read the labels. I recently picked up a can of turnip greens, got home and read the label. Yep. Wheat. Why is wheat in turnip greens? Or roasted peanuts? Or a host of other things. That is why we have to read the labels, always.

I rarely buy tomato paste. Unless I need a larger amount for a recipe, I just use a tube of stuff imported from Italy. Since I use so little, I usually wind up throwing it out and replacing it every couple of years. I do not buy the tomato products from Trader Joe's or the Walmart brand because they are on shared lines with a lot of things we can't have. I believe wheat or gluten is among those things.

If I read this right then your saying that I can't use tomato paste? Very new to this.

If I read this right then your saying that I can't use tomato paste? Very new to this.

No hon, if you read the entire discussion,

you would have seen that SOME tomato pastes MADE WITH ITALIAN HERBS contain wheat (not sure why they do, but that's another story)

Tomato paste, in general, does not. I use Hunt's tomato paste all the time- no problem.

Checking the label is always a good idea.

Hope this clears it up for you?

Welcome to the forum!

No hon, if you read the entire discussion,

you would have seen that SOME tomato pastes MADE WITH ITALIAN HERBS contain wheat (not sure why they do, but that's another story)

Tomato paste, in general, does not. I use Hunt's tomato paste all the time- no problem.

Checking the label is always a good idea.

Hope this clears it up for you?

Welcome to the forum!

Thank you so much it did help. I want to make my own sauce so I know what in it. Still have brain frog.

Thank you so much it did help. I want to make my own sauce so I know what in it. Still have brain frog.

I know this is just a typo and you're understandably fatigued, but I cannot resist..."brain frog". :)

Linda, welcome to the family. We ALL had brain frogs.

( and sometimes, they return)

You're going to be okay, hon!

I know this is just a typo and you're understandably fatigued, but I cannot resist..."brain frog". :)

Linda, welcome to the family. We ALL had brain frogs.

( and sometimes, they return)

You're going to be okay, hon!

LOL.....Yep that is me....I know that it is going to be slow, I have been on here reading a lot and learn so much....more then what the dr told me. Plus I have Lupus so that doesn't help.

Have Great Day!

LOL.....Yep that is me....I know that it is going to be slow, I have been on here reading a lot and learn so much....more then what the dr told me. Plus I have Lupus so that doesn't help.

Have Great Day!

Lupus is a difficult disease, I know. Sorry, hon. I hope that you are finding all you need on here. I will PM you rather than go too far off topic. I have some suggestions for you--to get you started. :)

Saw this post - reddit reddit

:lol: :lol: :lol:

in the US, it would be Ribbit RIbbit

UK frogs must have an "accent" ;)

Who knew that a simple post about tomato paste could crack me up on a VERY LONG Friday afternoon? Brain Frog...hilarious! What's sad/funny, is that I didn't even catch the typo until someone else pointed it out. Maybe I have brain toad instead.

When I was younger, I used to eat tomato paste straight out the can - yep, I'm weird. My mom would leave a little in the cans she would use for me. I suppose there are worse things I could eat though right? :-)

Sorry, a bit obscure.

A frog went into the library. The librarian pulls out a book. The frog say reddit. Librarian gets out another book. Frog says reddit.

My brain managed to read that as brain toast! Brain frog and my dyslexia are apparently a recipe for bad jokes.

Good news about the tomato paste though x

Sorry, a bit obscure.

A frog went into the library. The librarian pulls out a book. The frog say reddit. Librarian gets out another book. Frog says reddit.

My brain managed to read that as brain toast! Brain frog and my dyslexia are apparently a recipe for bad jokes.

Good news about the tomato paste though x

Oh it's a good joke and I got it--reddit reddit. :lol:

Humor heals and of course, we are not laughing AT linda and her frog, we are laughing with her.

I did not just have brain fog (or even a frog), I had brain vaseline. It was not funny at all back then, :( but I do try to laugh about it now.

As for tomato paste out of the can? sure, why not! You should have seen me with the remnants of the can of condensed milk...yum yum

Ribbit, Ribbit - Linda is not alone and the typo sure made me smile.

We could start the froggy club - so much more fun to say "I'm a bit froggy today" rather than "I've got brain fog - again".

oops...off topic :D

Ribbit, Ribbit - Linda is not alone and the typo sure made me smile.

We could start the froggy club - so much more fun to say "I'm a bit froggy today" rather than "I've got brain fog - again".

oops...off topic :D

well, here's a warning.....CROAK! CROAK! :lol: :lol:

frogs like tomato paste.