27 replies to this topic

#16 RonSchon

RonSchon

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

If you haven't tried the Applegate Organic Grass Fed beef hot dogs, I highly recommend them... They are pretty unbelievable for a hot dog...

ingredients: Organic Grass-Fed Beef, Water. Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Sea Salt, Organic Spices, Organic Dehydrated Garlic, Organic Dehydrated Onion, Organic Paprika, Celery Powder.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

I've been considering trying them, ever since you posted that if they were taken away from you we would see a grown man cry. I took that as a pretty good Hot Dog recommendation. I haven't had a hot dog in a long time but seeing your raving about them sure makes me want one, and since I'm Paleo/Primal they would be on my list! :D

They prolly cost $95 a package though. :ph34r:
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#18 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 04:53 AM

I bought some Applegate dogs for my mother when she was here visiting. I had one. Not bad--except I found them rather salty.
Could just be my taste buds, though.

She liked them a lot. I have wrapped and baked them in CHEBE dough (no grains in that mix, just tap starch) --as JNBUNNIE suggested--and Hubs liked them.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#19 Bubba's Mom

Bubba's Mom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 02:03 PM

If you haven't tried the Applegate Organic Grass Fed beef hot dogs, I highly recommend them... They are pretty unbelievable for a hot dog...

ingredients: Organic Grass-Fed Beef, Water. Contains Less Than 2% Of The Following: Sea Salt, Organic Spices, Organic Dehydrated Garlic, Organic Dehydrated Onion, Organic Paprika, Celery Powder.

Hmmm..could the paprika be bothering you? I think it's a nightshade? When I was first DXed I couldn't tolerate it at all, but can now.

#20 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:47 PM

A couple of others have reported paprika problems recently. Nightshades were the cause for one, and only paprika was the intolerance for the other who could eat potatoes.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

#21 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:17 PM

If the banana was what got you and you don't believe it's gluten, I can think of a couple possibilities you could check out, although neither seems perfect.

If you react to corn or to sulfites, the bananas can make you sick. Numerous people with either of these conditions report reacting to bananas (I'll say why in a sec). I react to gluten and sulfites and my reactions to both include brain fog and exhaustion. I don't have gastro reactions, but they are fairly common to sulfite reactions, as is joint pain. Some sulfite allergic folks I know report vision problems.

The two processed foods you eat don't have any major corn or sulfite ingredients, it looks like:
The hot dogs don't contain any corn based ingredients, but the sulfites in hot dogsmight not track as well, because the many (although not all) of sulfite sensitive folks can have trouble with garlic and/or onions.

The Ocean Spray Cranapple juice labels I've seen lately list sugar rather than corn syrup, so that would track with not having corn, but the citric acid and vitamin C might be on the 'iffy' side for corn problems - it depends on whether they are corn contaminated. For sulfites, it would be the same potential ingredients that might not match up.

Oh, I suppose it depends on where you are, too! :-)

In the USA, both organic and conventional bananas are gassed with ethylene gas. This penetrates the peel and into the flesh, so it can't be washed off. The production of this gas seems to make it problematic for those with corn and/or sulfite issues.

A good forum for checking out corn issues is this one: http://forums.delphi...m/avoidingcorn/

A blogger who has a ton of information on sulfite issues is this one: http://holdthesulfites.com/

A couple things that would be major problems for the sulfites would be wine and molasses.

The main thing that would be an issue for corn sensitive folks would be, well, corn, yeah? ;-)

Don't know if this would jive with the food you have trouble with or not, but thought it might be worth checking out.

Much sympathy from over here. About 2 years ago I was in the same place, eating about 6 foods, if you include my sea salt, and unable to figure out why it seemed like freaking everything made me react. Mine turned out to be super sensitivity to gluten, food allergies, and a reaction to sulfites. It took me about 3 years to figure it all out, but it keeps getting better now. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

#22 anti-soprano

anti-soprano

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:15 PM

I have no idea how I can go forward.

I'm eating almost nothing, and came up poisoned by something.

Since I'm only eating about 4 things, the one thing that seems most logical since I don't have it every day would have been the banana I had.

When I was in deep fog and pain over the rest of yesterday, I totally forgot I ate one, but last night I remembered that I did eat a banana.

So I google'd banana intolerance and came up with this whole "histamine" class of food that I had no idea even existed.

When I look at the list of foods - many of them are things I have known I was intolerant of - this is the first time I've ever had a problem with a banana.

My reaction to the banana was the same as my reaction to gluten - brain/vision fog, severe joint pain, very tired, bloat, constipation.

I had an allergy test about a month ago - in that test I was pricked for about 40 food items. Non-reactive to all of them, and many on the list are on the histamine "avoid" lists.

I don't know what to do with this new issue.

I read some posts that suggest my intestinal system could recover and these foods might become tolerable once again.

I don't know what bothers me more, just being poisoned again or having another full set of items I have to avoid.

Have you considered yeast overgrowth, especially with the reaction you had to starch in the potatoes and sugar in the bananas? I came across this blog when I was first researching Celiac a few weeks ago. I hope it proves helpful to you!
http://well.blogs.ny...ystery-illness/

Best of luck!!!

#23 Free-form07

Free-form07

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:35 PM

You may look into fungal candida. You will usually find fungal candida present with celiac disease, esp if you have ever taken an antibiotic in your life.

I suffered a full year, gluten free, not knowing why eating fruit, etc was causing brain fog, etc. Fungal candida feeds off of sugars and spreads. When the yeast eat the carbs we consume, we become more malnourished and they simply multiply. There waste is actually alcohol, which contributes to the feeling of brain fog or even being drunk. Fungal candida also is responsible for joint pains, etc. Candida and celiac disease symptoms are so similar, it's easy to get confused.

#24 New Community Member

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

Have you tried looking into other 'diets'? I started the specific carbohydrate diet 6 days ago and I have noticed major changes, already. From 5 or 6 BM's a day to 1 or 2. Basically, you introduce one different type of food every 3-4 days to see what your GI system can or cannot tolerate. The SCDiet allows you to slowly introduce foods, thereby allowing your digestive system to rest so it's not working so hard digesting.

Bananas area really sweet. That could be causing the reaction. I don't react well to them, either.

Anyways, that's my two cents. You've got a lot of opinions of what it could be on here based on others' experiences. Hope you figure out what works for you soon.

#25 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:23 PM

Just an update....

Another thing from the short food list is now on the long list of things I can't have...

Ocean Spray (as well as every store knockoff brand) CranApple switched from HFCS to Cane Sugar.

I was totally getting reactions from Hansens All Natural Cane Soda, and thought it must be the natural flavors or caramel coloring.

I've drank Ocean Spray with no problem for 25 years, the change to Cane Sugar was just recently and that an immediate poison to me.

After the Ocean Spray got me, and I saw the cane sugar on the ingredient list I searched on cane sugar intolerance and found a plethora of sites discussing this. Evidently cane sugar is very similar to wheat.

Slowly I'm getting a good definition of all of the things besides gluten that affect me.

I checked the website "LabelWatch" for Ocean Spray and they still listed them all as HFCS, when in fact they are all now Cane. I sent them an email about the change but they never responded.

#26 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:25 PM

I've drank Ocean Spray with no problem for 25 years, the change to Cane Sugar was just recently and that an immediate poison to me.

After the Ocean Spray got me, and I saw the cane sugar on the ingredient list I searched on cane sugar intolerance and found a plethora of sites discussing this. Evidently cane sugar is very similar to wheat.

I have never had a problem with Ocean Spray, ever.

Could you please direct me to your information?
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#27 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,070 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 06:17 PM

Cane sugar is derived from sugarcane, which is closely related to maize (corn). They are species in the same tribe, Andropogoneae, the sorghum tribe.

Wheat is not in the same tribe, and is in a different subfamily. All belong to the poaceae family (grains).

The sugar in cane sugar is sucrose (C12H22O11) which is quite different from fructose (C6H12O6). You may have an issue with the sugar itself, rather than the plant from which it is sourced.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#28 T.H.

T.H.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 07:23 PM

I wonder if you might have a problem with the entire grain family, an intolerance or mild allergy? Like Peter said, Sugarcane is in the grass family like all grains. And you have to avoid all grains at the moment, yes?

If this is the case, I believe that sugar cane and bamboo are the only two foods in that family that aren't grains.

But buckwheat ISN'T in the grass/grain family, so that might be promising news, if this turns out to be the case. :-)

T.H.

Gluten free since August 10, 2009.
21 years with undiagnosed Celiac Disease

23 years with undiagnosed sulfite sensitivity

25 years with undiagnosed mast cell activation disorder (MCAD) 

Daughter: celiac and MCAD positive

Son: gluten intolerant
Father, brother: celiac positive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: