Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Coconut Flour Nutritional Value

4 posts in this topic

I use coconut flour and oil in cooking. My Dr just told me it's high in fat and should be avoided since my household is eating healthier . I always understood it to be low Glycemic, high fiber and low/moderate fat .

What do you know ?

Ads by Google:

If you follow the theory that high fat foods should be avoided fairly strongly, then yeah, you probably wouldn't eat it. But you also wouldn't have much to do with nuts, butter, avocados, oils, etc. The "coconut is high in fat, so it's bad for you, and it's high in saturated fat so it's really bad for you" idea is an over simplification at best. I use it, and I use coconut oil and coconut milk, in moderation with everything else.

Ifyou like Dr. Mercola, he did a little article that might help you understand where the doctor is coming from. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/dr-mercola/coconut-oil-benefits_b_821453.html

Great article - I knew coconut oil was beneficial, but this article explains the benefit/detriment of all oils very simply.

Thanks for sharing pricklypear!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Topics

• Hi everyone! I'm feeling very frustrated. I have been dealing with GI upset, bloating, very painful gas(that is hard to release), alternating from constipation to diarrhea for a long time now:(... my symptoms seem to be getting worse. Sometimes I get painful spasms located on my upper right quadrant of my stomach and low grade fever. I recently went to a GI doctor and he put me on a lactose free diet. He said I might be lactose intolerant and may have IBS. He did not think I would have celiac. I did relatively well on the lactose free diet for 2weeks.This diet alleviated some of my gas discomfort. Also, he had me get blood work for celiac, ulcerative colitis and H pylori. My bloodwork was positive for celiac disease. The antibody TTG was high 36.6, which is specific for celiac. My C-reactive protein was high as well 13.4--Norm is 2-7(C-reactive protein checks for inflammation anywhere in the body). They called me and told me I had to get an upper endoscopy, which biopsy showed up normal. So should I just leave it like that, or go to a different doctor and get a different opinion? I'm just wondering why TTG antibody-A  was elevated. I'm so frustrated and I really don't want my symptoms to get worse... is there a lot of false negative biopsy? What should I do:(??? Should I just give up...
    • It's all very frustrating.  I had the skin prick tests done last year and they told me I had no allergies, but I have reactions all the time, such as itching, watery, runny, itchy eyes, digestive issues, stomach cramps, IBS-type symptoms,  mental fogginess, etc.   I had blood tests done by a naturopath a few years ago and my worst food intolerance was wheat/gluten by far.  The naturopath found several other reactive foods but said most of them were mild compared to my reaction to gluten.  I looked online at the ingredients for both products, but it's confusing, the main ingredients shared by these two products were brown rice flour and potato starch.  I've used brown rice in baking with no problems, it could be the potato starch, which I don't often use, but I don't have any reaction to eating real potatoes.  
    • It starts as a piercing itch and the skin turns reddish with a few tiny red bumps. Then tiny watery vesicles appear and itch like crazy. The whole process from start to finish is about 3 weeks and the lesions leave a purplish skin tone and scab. I get them on the back side of both knees near the bend.  Sometimes it's just a few scattered vesicles in the same area. I've had Drs say eczema or herpes. My next step is to find a dermatologist familiar with dh. Thanks for the input.
    • DH can look like that but other things can as well. It would help if you described the way it acts/presents. You can get a dh biopsy. Read threads in this section to find out how the biopsy is done correctly. 
    • my celiac was triggered by pregnancy.  had no clue.  symptoms creeped up (started with indigestion, deemed as 'colitis' or 'ibs') but eventually all the ones you mentioned above all joined the party.  sounds like you are headed in the right direction.  one of the points of diagnosis is the reaction to the gluten-free diet.  keep digging.  half the people on here don't have a firm diagnosis (science really needs to catch up with this disease)  and a false negative blood test is fairly common, for whatever reason - if you've not been eating gluten every day for like 8 weeks, it may not detect antibodies, which is what these tests are measuring.  sorry you're having this dilemma!  hope you find some answers.
  • Upcoming Events

• Blog Entries

• Recent Status Updates

• Who's Online (See full list)

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Carmen30