This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Getting Worse

bartfull

bartfull Rising Star

This is going to be a quick one. I can't stay out of the bathroom. I just ate a little chicken and a sweet potato and it has gone right through me. I never had these kinds of symptoms before. Is it STILL from the CC'ed rice I had a couple of weeks ago? And why is it getting worse now? I haven't eaten anything BUT chicken and sweet potatoes for several days now. Why am I getting sicker by the minute?

I have a full lesson schedule today. I can't AFFORD this!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I got glutened about a month ago and still feeling the effects pretty hard, so this could be from the "bad" rice?

Sweet potatoes have salicylates. I can't tolerate them at all when my system is upset. Could they be bothering you now?

I hope this passes soon!

(((hugs)))

kareng Grand Master

Sounds like the stomach virus that just went thru a school here.

Lolli Newbie

Oh god. Please no stomach viruses.

Bartful

Please hang in there.

Here's my list

New Foods Dr Fuhrman

Nutritarian

lovegrov Collaborator

Most people with celiac would NOT still be suffering two weeks later. It could be something else. I can be very hard to determine whether you're having a gluten reaction, food poisoning or a stomach bug.

richard

jerseyangel Proficient

This is going to be a quick one. I can't stay out of the bathroom. I just ate a little chicken and a sweet potato and it has gone right through me. I never had these kinds of symptoms before. Is it STILL from the CC'ed rice I had a couple of weeks ago? And why is it getting worse now? I haven't eaten anything BUT chicken and sweet potatoes for several days now. Why am I getting sicker by the minute?

I have a full lesson schedule today. I can't AFFORD this!

If it's getting worse now, after 2 weeks glutened, it may well be a virus. I don't know where you live, but here in NJ, there has been a nasty stomach virus going around. My non-Celiac son came down with it.

Hope you feel better soon!

Persei V. Enthusiast

I'm with the "virus" theory here. Two weeks and getting sicker by the minute means it's something you cannot heal like it is when the small intestines are damaged by gluten. Seeing a doctor, though, would be the best thing to do.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bartfull Rising Star

I don't feel sick to my stomach or anything, just running to the bathroom every few minutes. I remember now that sweet potatoes from the grocery store used to do this to me. Organic ones did not. This one was from the grocery store. :angry: It looks like the glutening I got a couple of weeks ago has knocked me back to square one. That means I will be eating Uncle Bens, cheese, meat, and cauliflower. Oh yeah, and bananas if I can find decent ones. For some reason half the time I buy bananas here, even if they are green, they rot before they ripen. I have actually opened a mostly green banana and it was LIQUID inside.

One more lesson to get through and then I can go home.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular

Much as I hate to live on drugs, God created Imodium for a reason( ;) ). If you've been having this problem this long you might want to consider dosing yourself at least once to prevent dehydration.

bartfull Rising Star

Thanks, JNBunnie. I just looked up their ingredients and it looks like the original caplet does not contain corn. I'm going to go get some when I close the shop tonight.

IrishHeart Veteran

Barty, I am sorry you are still feeling lousy. I have to agree that getting sicker my the minute does not seem like a continuation of a glutening. Even my bad bout --and we got "hit" at the same time--has cleared up.

Sounds like it could be a bad bug causing the D and Bunz is right...use some Immodium to get it to calm down and drink a lot of fluids. I am concerned about your electrolytes.

Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

bartfull Rising Star

I assumed it was something food related because my psoriasis keeps flaring too. I felt better this morning and I vowed to eat nothing all day. Then I remembered the healthfood store has Stoneyfield yogurt that I can eat. I had a friend run down and pick up two large containers for me. I ate half a container and still felt OK. But later I got really hungry, and as I was supposed to go to a party after work, I knew I'd better eat SOMETHING. So I had a very small bowl of rice with a little cheese and chicken. An hour and a half later it started again. Running and terrible gas pains.

I ate some more yogurt a little while ago and now I feel better again. I've been taking a probiotic but I stopped when I got glutened two weeks ago because it has corn starch in it. Could it just be that I need more good bugs? I still have a container of yogurt for tomorrow and I'll get more Monday. Maybe if I just keep eating it this'll stop?

Oh yeah, I decided not to go to the party anyway. It's not because I won't be able to eat, but it's a music party and I played all day with my friends here. My fingers hurt! (But it's a GOOD kind of pain.) :)

Hmmm, perhaps a yeast overgrowth/dysbiosis that the rice exacerbates (starchy carb) and the yogurt makes you feel better by killing the bad guys? I say find a probiotic you can take, because it's clearly beneficial for you.

ciamarie Rookie

Since you started having issues again after the rice with cheese and chicken, I'd try to isolate which one of those it might be? The probiotic angle may be right on, also... thought I'd throw that out as a possibility.

Chad Sines Rising Star

You may have issues with all grains. This is something the Specific Carbohydrate Diet addresses. I did not begin to see significant improvement until I started this and eliminated all grains. Anytime I add one back, whammo.

bartfull Rising Star

I ate the rice yesterday because the sweet potato the day before made me sick. I never had any trouble with Uncle Ben's rice before. I have been eating it regularly for the past 15 months.

I'm leaning toward candida. The yogurt made me feel better and I haven't had any problem since I ate it yesterday. Today I am going to eat a bit of yogurt before trying some chicken again. Then I will wait to see if I start getting gassy again. If I do I'll eat more yogurt.

I was taking a probiotic all along but it was a non-refrigerated one. It was the only one I could find that didn't have corn in it. It didn't seem to do much for me but I took it anyway. After I started tolerating corn starch I decided to get a refrigerated one because I know those are better. But I lost corn starch again after that glutening so I stopped taking it.

So this is what I'm thinking: If it is indeed candida, I can stop eating any sweets except that yogurt. I can stop eating carbs except the few carbs in cauliflower and maybe some occasional broccoli. I will just eat lots of meat and yogurt. I know I won't be getting the nutrition I need, but if it is candida I need to get rid of it. Maybe after a few months I can add some things back.

I have read so much conflicting info about candida diets. I know sugars and carbs feed the little buggers, but other than that, I'm not sure. Some folks claim a few months will do the trick. Others go to the other extreme and say one can NEVER eat sugars and carbs again or it will come right back. Why is it so hard to get good solid information?

dilettantesteph Collaborator

If it is glutening, then it would have to be something that you are still eating after so long, I think. Have you recently changed your source for any of those things? Someone else mentioned eating the things separately to figure out which one it is. I think that's a good idea. I hope you feel better soon.

Takala Enthusiast

After reading this thread and thinking about it, I would hazard a guess you have a problem with something in your current batch of cooked chicken. How frustrating.

You can't eat just a lot of yogurt and meat and expect to get rid of candida - that isn't a balanced diet, and a lot of dairy, even in yogurt form, even with sugar taken out, can cause candida to flare up- which I don't think is your problem, anyway. :( But a flare up isn't necessarily going to give you D, it just might give you some itching. I suspect this is partially a reaction to the antibiotic you had to take to get the tooth thing under control, which has wiped out some of your good gut flora, which the yogurt would then be helping, but you either have germs or cross contamination somewhere in your line of food as it comes from the farm and ends up on your plate.

I have seen a lot of so- called "candida" friendly diets on the internet, such as wildly loose interpretations of "paleo," that have recipes which are so loaded with alternate sugars and an awful lot of palm fat, I want to laugh, plus they are doing all these strange rules to avoid certain vegetables, but I bet they taste really good. Sorry, folks, but cave men did not eat cupcakes ! :P

Others go to the other extreme and say one can NEVER eat sugars and carbs again or it will come right back. Why is it so hard to get good solid information?

Because everybody is different. A person who actually couldn't eat sugars again is likely extremely insulin resistant, borderline type II diabetic, or isn't acknowledging that fruits have sugars. They are not also acknowledging that vegetables have some carbohydrates, that a little vegetable carb isn't going to kill them, and that even if they are eating a whole bunch of supposedly low carb vegetables like carrots, they are really loading themselves up with sugars. I have made this mistake of using a lot of carrot juice in recipes, it literally made me sick because it is too sweet.

You aren't doing Splenda, are you ? I had to stop that.

luvnascar29 Newbie

I feel your pain all to well. I too, am getting worse everyday. I can not stop running to the bathroom. I can go about 1/2 to an hour before running and i really got to go. It does not matter what I eat. It all runs through me quickly and explosively. I am gluten intolerant, allergic to casein and I believe soy. I can not have nuts or seeds or corn products. I have switched to all natural chicken, organic products and have also cut out nitrates and nitrites, as well as high fructose corn syrup. It's been really tough. I am seeking a second opinion. Been is hospital all weekend for painful cramps and abdominal pain and all my bloodwork is normal. Go figure. I do not think that it is a virus or still from your glutening. Seek your doctor and a second opinion. It's awful to have to deal with this and daily life, but i really understnd you.

bartfull Rising Star

Steph, I got glutened almost three weeks ago now by a different brand of rice which turned out to be cross contaminated. I haven't been right since. It has been getting progressively worse instead of better no matter what I eat (except for the yogurt).

Takala, I've been eating chicken lately but I had pork chops before that and they did the same thing so I don't think I got a bad batch of chicken. But I have good news (I think). I ate some of the chicken and some organic cheese a little over an hour ago, and although I hear my stomach gurgling, so far I'm feeling OK. In a lttle while I'm going to eat some more yogurt. It seems that the probiotics in the yogurt settle things right down for me. They did yesterday. I was running and had terrible gas pains yesterday and after eating quite a bit of yogurt it stopped and didn't come back all night. It probably IS leftover from the antibiotics. I think with the help of all of you good people here I am finally on the right track.

THANK YOU ALL!!!

bartfull Rising Star

Luvnascar, welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear you are so sick. When I first started I develpoed a severe intolerance to corn too. And soy. And nightshades. And salicylates. AND pesticides and chemical fertilizers. You are on the right track eating organic. Your system is, as my nutritionist put it, "in hyperdrive". You are reacting to almost everything just as I was.

Stick with organics, read as much as you can about hidden corn, be scrupulous with your diet, and read every label. Whole foods (nothing processed) is the way to go, but even whole foods are not safe from corn. If you need help finding hidden sources of corn, PM me. I'd be happy to help as much as I can.

I hope you start feeling better SOON. ((((HUGS))))

I take PB8, a refrigerated probiotic thats veggie caps, it says capsul- cellulose, water, silica. Dunno if that's ok for corn, as i have not had to avoid corn, but this probiotic works very well on me.

IrishHeart Veteran

Well, Barty (and everyone :lol: ) you have heard my spiel on probiotics, but I'll say it again: take them!! The small amount of them in a container of yogurt is doing squat to replenish your gut "good guys". You need some big guns.

Custom Probiotics (powder form) are free of gluten, dairy, soy and corn. I asked him when I started using them.

They are expensive, yes, but they are broad spectrum, multi-strain and completely turned around my "negligible beneficial gut bacteria" test results that I had at DX.

I hope you feel better soon, hon.

• 2 months later...
Rachelcooks Newbie

Hi, I hope you are feeling better! I don't think it should continue to get worse but when I'm glutened I do think it damages everything and i lose the good gut bacteria. I would try a good probiotic. I know some people think they are balogna but I have found a lot of success with them. Ive used phillipscolon health but I believe there are some more effective ones that are live. Just make sure the one you are buying is gluten-free and if you have trouble with dairy double check that as well. Whole foods usually has a large selection. I also use ginger water to get things leveled out again (just peel fresh ginger, cut it up and toss in hot or cold water) this has always helped but I don't know if it will change anything about your frequency to the bathroom.

Hope this helps!!!!!

Archived