4 replies to this topic

#1 KHAlice

KHAlice

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:02 PM

I am new to this site and am hoping someone who has more experience with gluten issues can offer some insight into what the symptoms I have and these blood test results actually mean.

This is how it started: I am in my mid 40s and have recently started eating clean and exercising. I went on the 17 day diet and had great results. (ll lbs shed in 17 days). During that time I had no pasta, bread, crackers etc. I upped the dairy and ate lots of veggies and nuts. I felt great! Lot's of energy.

Then I started adding in "regular" foods in small portions. My stomach started to cramp every morning. I have always had a "sensitive" stomach but this was very abnormal for me. I toughed it out most days and it would eventually go away.

The day before my worst reaction, I had one half of a turkey sandwich for lunch with a bowl of tomato soup, and a tomato sandwich for dinner. I was in agony the next morning.

The Dr. says it is either Dairy or Gluten and I should cut them both out for now. I did that and I feel better. Much better. I also decided on my own to cut the tomatoes to see if that could be the culprit. So now I am eating no wheat, dairy or tomatoes.

My doctor wants to run tons of tests but I have to pace myself due to the cost. He recommended a Lactose antibody test but it is quite pricey so I am waiting on that one. But I did take the C Reactive Protein Test and the Gluten antibody tests. The CRP was nearly 4 times what the normal is. The Gluten IGG is 4.5 with a reference range of 2.0. Gluten IGE was below detection. So what does this actually mean? He said "watch the gluten". But this is to vague for me. I need some direction. Can anyone offer insight or suggestions on what this means?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:12 PM

First - the IgA and IgG antibody tests are far less accurate if you are gluten free or even gluten lite - because if you are not ingesting gluten, your body has no reason to produce the antibodies measured in the blood tests.

Second - I'm a bit confused with regard to which Gluten Antibody Tests you had.

This is a Full Celiac Blood Panel:

Total Serum IgA
Tissue Transglutaminase IgA and IgG
Gliadin IgA and IgG
Endomysial Antibody IgA
Deamidated Gliadin Peptide IgA and IgG

I'm guessing the Gluten IgG you referred to is the tTG IgG (Tissue Transglutaminase IgG) and it was positive which indicated Celiac Disease.

The IgE is a test for allergy, not Celiac Disease - but good to rule out allergy as the cause of your reaction to gluten.

Now, where do you go?

If you are indeed gluten-free you would have to ingest gluten for a period of time if you want to attempt more accurate Celiac Blood Testing.

Have you seen gastroenterology? If not, look for one that has interest/likes to take Celiac Disease cases.

Your primary doctor could order vitamin/mineral testing as deficiency can be another indicator of Celiac Disease. My doc orders the following:

Bs, D, K, Iron, Ferritin, Copper and Zinc

I've seen others suggest the addition of:

A, Magnesium and Calcium

You do have the option to remain gluten-free without further steps. For some, getting diagnosis helps them remain 100% compliant for life and helps alleviate concern of family and friends that removing ALL gluten is absolutely a medical necessity.

I sure wish the diagnosis process wasn't so frustrating - but the good news is you are off to a good start with the realization that you feel better when not ingesting gluten.

Good luck to you :)

PS...forgot to mention the CRP indicates inflammation in the body and can indicate other autoimmune disorders. You'll need to follow up on that with your Primary Doctor or Rhuematology as there are other tests that you may want to consider.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#3 KHAlice

KHAlice

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 03:22 PM

Thanks for your reply.
The tests I had were:
Allergen-Gluten IgG That is the one that was 4.5 and had a reference rating of < 2.0.
Allergen Gluten IGE and that one was below detection.
CRP was 16.0

I am just not quite sure what this means to me. I have been searching the web but it is all so unclear.

#4 GottaSki

GottaSki

"The past is the past...I've got places to be."

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 04:30 PM

Ah...I'm don't know much about positive allergy testing...maybe someone else can chime in if this test indicates that you are allergic to gluten.

Whether you have an allergy to gluten, celiac disease or gluten intolerance - the solution is identical - remove ALL gluten.

Your CRP indicates inflammation in the body.

-Lisa

Undiagnosed Celiac Disease ~ 43 years

3/26/09 gluten-free - dignosed celiac - blood 3/3/09, biopsy 3/26/09, double DQ2 / single DQ8 positive

10/25/13 - MCAD

Health history since celiac diagnosis became too long -- moved to the "about me" section of my profile

My children and I all have multiple copies of the genes for Celiac Disease, along with large variety of symptoms/resolution gluten-free

Current tally from me, three kids and two grands: 4 diagnosed with Celiac Disease, 2 NCGS

Get PROPERLY tested BEFORE REMOVING GLUTEN.

ALWAYS independently research health related information found on internet forums/blogs.

"LTES" a Gem :)

#5 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,086 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

Thanks for your reply.
The tests I had were:
Allergen-Gluten IgG That is the one that was 4.5 and had a reference rating of < 2.0.
Allergen Gluten IGE and that one was below detection.
CRP was 16.0

I am just not quite sure what this means to me. I have been searching the web but it is all so unclear.

http://drstevenenningerdailyblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/understanding-your-igg-food-allergies.html
http://www.questdiag...084&labCode=DLO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: