9 replies to this topic

#1 Gluten_Freed

Gluten_Freed

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 08:11 PM

I'm a male in my late 20s who is trying to figure out the best way to deal with celiac disease when going on dates with women. Specifically, I was wondering what experiences people have had going on dates with people who don't have celiac disease. For example, is it best to avoid food-related first dates?
Celiac disease: diagnosed via confirming biopsy and blood tests
-------------------------------------
Gluten-free since July 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sa1937

sa1937

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 05:02 AM

There have been a number of topics posted about dating...you might want to use the Google search button in the top right corner of your screen and type in dating...you'll come up with a lot of experiences others have gone through. Personally I think it would be easier to avoid food-related first dates.
Sylvia
Positive Celiac Blood Panel - Dec., 2009
Endoscopy with Positive Biopsy - April 9, 2010
Gluten Free - April 9, 2010

#3 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

I didnt have to go through this since I was diagnosed after being engaged (it was a shocker!). But as a female your age, I have a couple suggestions. Sure, it would be easier to avoid food related dates at the beginning, just to see if you're compatible and want to take the relationship further. You also may be able to weed out who would be understanding of our situation.

But eventually food will come up, especially if you're spending more than a couple hours with her - food will be a necessity and it may seem odd if you're always mysteriously avoiding getting something to eat. My suggestion is bring it up earlier rather than later - the more casually you discuss it the less it will seem like a major issue. One thing you can do is get the app on your phone "Find me Gluten Free" or "Gluten Free Registry", and before you go on a date, look up gluten free restaurants in the area so if she asks to get food, you'll automatically know where you can go to eat. Casually ask for the gluten free menu and then begin another topic of conversation. If she asks about the gluten free menu, tell her you have food allergies (its easier to understand and tons of people have food allergies) and then if the relationship progresses then you can get into more detail about the Celiac. Just watch what she eats/drinks, cause if she starts chugging down a beer, then the kissing/cross contamination becomes a factor.

Again, from a girl's point of view, the more casual the conversation is about it the less it seems like a daunting issue. I would think nothing of a peanut or shellfish allergy, and gluten would also be the same. If she asks questions about it, definitely answer them, but keep the casual tone. There ARE girls out there who would understand, just like my fiance hopped on board as soon as he found out my diagnosis.

I hope this helps! Good luck!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#4 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:20 PM

Laser tag. Weeds out the fussy girls, too! :lol:
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 12:24 PM

It might be beneficial to work in something about not being able to suck face with someone who has been eating gluten before the situation arises.

Hate for a girl to get needlessly offended if you run away from her....or if you offer up another part for kissing...
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#6 Finally@45

Finally@45

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 04:02 AM

You may find that hanging around people (dating or not) who are open to health food/vegetarian restaurants are easier to eat with. Most places that cater to people who really think about what they eat are also great places for gluten-free eating.

Celiac & Mastocytosis

Follows a diet similar to the Paleo diet, minus high-histamine items such as

avocadoes, mangoes, papaya, berries, pork, farm-raised fish, spinach, and seeds.

No eggs or red meat either.

#7 New Community Member

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:40 PM

If you're near a Chipotle restaurant, everything there is gluten free, except the flour tortillas of course. My experiences there have been positive when I get the burrito bowls. I just kindly ask them to change gloves, and they should get you new lettuce and cheese. Of course, it's hard to avoid food on dates, but at least your food would look and be similar to your dates. As a celiac, it's my favorite restaurant. Everytime I go to a restaurant, I do some research before...is it safe, what are my options? But avoiding food altogether for first dates, could be fun, too!! There's more ways to get to know people besides sitting around a table! And a wise person once told me that if they really love you they won't care [that you have celiac, you can only eat certain foods]. There's more to us than just that. :) Good luck on your road to recovery and a full life!

#8 New Community Member

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:45 PM

Again, from a girl's point of view, the more casual the conversation is about it the less it seems like a daunting issue.

Great response. And this goes with addressing the gluten issue with anyone who asks questions. Answering the question then casually changing the topic seems like the best way. Sometimes, it's easier said than done. (I think it does take practice though.) If we make it a big deal, they will make it a big deal, and vice versa.

#9 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 03:57 PM

Just my opinion, but if I were to start dating right now, (good lawdie, let's hope not!! :rolleyes: )

I'd make dinner first at my house (where I know it's safe) and then after dessert, I'd tell the girl flat out.."I have celiac disease and this is what I have to do to stay safe....."

The girl will either run... or stay and learn.

Why beat around the bush? It's our reality. It is what it is...it's not a "catchy "
disease, for goodness sake--and certainly nothing to be ashamed of! How YOU view it--is how anyone else will view it.

My friend Skylark once said "having celiac and dating is like having a built-in Jerk-o-meter"

She's right. My hubs did not abandon me when I was deathly ill for 3 years and then DXed....and any girl worthy of you? will also be supportive, hon.

Find a "keeper".
Best wishes!

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#10 Finally@45

Finally@45

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 05:25 AM

I agree that Chipotle is a great compromise to eat with a mixed group or with someone for the first time. Be sure to visit the restaurant forum.

Celiac & Mastocytosis

Follows a diet similar to the Paleo diet, minus high-histamine items such as

avocadoes, mangoes, papaya, berries, pork, farm-raised fish, spinach, and seeds.

No eggs or red meat either.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: