14 replies to this topic

#1 WitsEnd

WitsEnd

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 08:26 PM

I found a recipe for a super easy pumpkin cake, and it's egg free too. I don't know how to link since I'm on my phone, but it is bigredkitchen.com. Two ingredients pumpkin cake with apple cider glaze. The blog post was old so this may be old news to some but I thought it was worth sharing.

While this is not from a gluten-free blog, I simply substituted gluten-free cake mix for regular mix. It is so simple..one box of cake mix (I used bisquick) and one can of pumpkin puree. Mix together, pour into a cake pan and bake at 350 for about 24 minutes. I made a cream cheese frosting instead of the apple cider icing and it was delicious!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sora

sora

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:04 AM

I found a recipe for a super easy pumpkin cake, and it's egg free too. I don't know how to link since I'm on my phone, but it is bigredkitchen.com. Two ingredients pumpkin cake with apple cider glaze. The blog post was old so this may be old news to some but I thought it was worth sharing.

While this is not from a gluten-free blog, I simply substituted gluten-free cake mix for regular mix. It is so simple..one box of cake mix (I used bisquick) and one can of pumpkin puree. Mix together, pour into a cake pan and bake at 350 for about 24 minutes. I made a cream cheese frosting instead of the apple cider icing and it was delicious!

Sounds good, I love anything pumpkin. I am going to go have a look.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#3 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:09 AM

Here it is.

http://www.bigredkit...le-cider-glaze/

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

#4 WitsEnd

WitsEnd

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for adding the link!

#5 Junior Chef

Junior Chef

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:35 PM

So I tried this today... I was very hopeful that it would work, provided the reviews in the comments of the recipe and also the picture. I used Hodgson Mill yellow cake mix, added a 15 oz. can of pumpkin (not pie filling), and some vanilla and cinnamon. Put it in a greased 9 x 11 pan, baked it for a while at 350 F. It didn't rise at all. I couldn't get the toothpick to come out clean no matter how long I baked it, and it wasn't at all springy, so I started getting nervous. I put a powdered sugar glaze on it (powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla), and let it cool. When I started cutting it, it was really tough, and it was very dense (think pumpkin brownies). My dad and brother deemed it rubbery, and when my dad doesn't like something, that's saying a lot. I wasn't even brave enough to try it.
At least I was only out about $3 for the cake mix... Did I do something wrong or is this just a failed recipe?

#6 nlindsey

nlindsey

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:52 PM

If you want a good pumpkin cake, try Really Great Food Company. They are the absolute best! Their great products include banana bread, pumpkin spice bread/cake, lemon poppy seed bread, corn muffins, Aunt Tootie's devil's food cake mix. I have been celiac for 8 years, and trust me, these are the very best. It is worth the shipping. You won't be disappointed.

#7 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:19 AM

So I tried this today... I was very hopeful that it would work, provided the reviews in the comments of the recipe and also the picture. I used Hodgson Mill yellow cake mix, added a 15 oz. can of pumpkin (not pie filling), and some vanilla and cinnamon. Put it in a greased 9 x 11 pan, baked it for a while at 350 F. It didn't rise at all. I couldn't get the toothpick to come out clean no matter how long I baked it, and it wasn't at all springy, so I started getting nervous. I put a powdered sugar glaze on it (powdered sugar, milk, and vanilla), and let it cool. When I started cutting it, it was really tough, and it was very dense (think pumpkin brownies). My dad and brother deemed it rubbery, and when my dad doesn't like something, that's saying a lot. I wasn't even brave enough to try it.
At least I was only out about $3 for the cake mix... Did I do something wrong or is this just a failed recipe?

I am thinking it might be because the recipe is for a standard gluten cake mix which is bigger than a gluten free cake mix?

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

#8 Junior Chef

Junior Chef

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 06:02 AM

The cake mix was supposed to make two 8" or one 9x13" cake. I thought that's what the 'regular' cake mixes are supposed to make, too.

#9 WitsEnd

WitsEnd

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:41 PM

I made it with gluten free bisquick. Maybe your mix was too high quality? (I am not familiar with that brand). Sorry it didn't work for you.

#10 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 12:39 PM

ok gluten free bisquick has more baking powder to make it rise more.
did you use a whole box of gluten-free bisquick?
Michigan

#11 WitsEnd

WitsEnd

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:19 PM

Yes, the whole box. But to clarify, it is a box of gluten-free bisquick cake mix, not just regular gluten-free bisquick. But I do agree with you...the extra baking powder probably made the difference.

#12 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

Yes, the whole box. But to clarify, it is a box of gluten-free bisquick cake mix, not just regular gluten-free bisquick. But I do agree with you...the extra baking powder probably made the difference.

they make a cake mix? Link please :3

#13 mommida

mommida

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:14 PM

I didn't know there is a gluten-free bisquick cake mix either! I want to compare the ingredients side by side too.
Michigan

#14 WitsEnd

WitsEnd

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:54 PM

:( I am so sorry! Betty Crocker, not Bisquick. Both yellow boxes...I should have paid more attention.

#15 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,766 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Ah i've had that one before then.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: