This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Else Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, And Soy-Free?

freedomseek00

freedomseek00 Rookie

Hi everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with celiac 3 weeks ago and also told by my doctor to completely avoid all dairy and soy for the next year or so until I can try reintroducing them again. The problem I'm having right now is that my cravings for the foods I used to eat before being diagnosed are getting stronger every day that I am on my new celiac diet. I tried looking through the supermarket in addition to the natural health food stores I have in my area (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Sunflower/Sprouts) and every gluten free product out there seems to still contain dairy and/or soy! I don't even have options for when I'm getting a craving to safely try to satisfy it nor have my boyfriend and I found any restaurants we can go on dates too. Everything has gotten so overwhelming since being diagnosed. As a side note, due to my new wheat/gluten/dairy/soy free diet I have been eating fruit when I get cravings, but I don't want to go overboard on sugar either since I already have a Candida overgrowth and am sugar sensitive. Does anyone know of any snack foods out there that are wheat/gluten/dairy/soy/sugar free? I'm sorry, I know that's a lot to ask for :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

1desperateladysaved Proficient

Hi everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with celiac 3 weeks ago and also told by my doctor to completely avoid all dairy and soy for the next year or so until I can try reintroducing them again. The problem I'm having right now is that my cravings for the foods I used to eat before being diagnosed are getting stronger every day that I am on my new celiac diet. I tried looking through the supermarket in addition to the natural health food stores I have in my area (Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, Sunflower/Sprouts) and every gluten free product out there seems to still contain dairy and/or soy! I don't even have options for when I'm getting a craving to safely try to satisfy it nor have my boyfriend and I found any restaurants we can go on dates too. Everything has gotten so overwhelming since being diagnosed. As a side note, due to my new wheat/gluten/dairy/soy free diet I have been eating fruit when I get cravings, but I don't want to go overboard on sugar either since I already have a Candida overgrowth and am sugar sensitive. Does anyone know of any snack foods out there that are wheat/gluten/dairy/soy/sugar free? I'm sorry, I know that's a lot to ask for :(

My family and I have gotten into "Seasnax lately." You would maybe never believe we are still American. These are Seaweed, Olive oil, and sea salt. They are dried vegetables. One can also make kale chips with simalar ingredients. My daughters learned to eat them over cooked rice in Korea and each that went, brought some home. They are in the natural food stores here in MN.

I make carob bars with coconut oil, almond meal, coconut milk and carob. I put in a few drops of edible peppermint essential oil.

Healthy eating.

Diana

Avacados help me to feel good.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

I'm gluten, oat, soy, dairy, peanut, corn flour, free..and low salicylate.

It makes snaking hard. I can eat some brands of potato chips, and my home made kale chips.

If corn doesn't bother you, plain Fritos are safe. Nuts and seeds like pumpkin or sunflower are good snacks, but be sure to look for cc free ones. Some brands of popcorn are safe.

Celery stuffed with peanut butter may work for you?

MJ-S Contributor

I always carry a Lara bar with me. The kind I buy has three ingredients: Peanuts, Dates, Salt.

user853 Apprentice

I am mostly dairy free and avoid processed soy. So, I feel your pain here. But, I snack all the time.

Air popped popcorn with salt or other seasoning (almost every night). Dried fruit with nuts (dried plums and (i think) dried apricots have no added sugar. Suzie's corn, quinoa, and sesame thin cakes with avocado or nut butter. Apples with nut butter. Cut up veggies with hummus, walnut spread, or nut butters. Homemade granola (with agave or maple syrup). Homemade chocolate truffels (walnuts, dates, coco, coconut). Chocomole!

GFinDC Veteran

Most nuts are ok to eat. You can get Food Should Taste Good brand chips that are gluten-free in stores. Mission brand corn tortillas are good as wraps with whatever filling you like. Snyders makes a gluten-free pretzal. Don't try searching for snack ideas on here or you will spend the next days or 2 reading all the hits! :D We do snack it seems. You can make peanut brittle in a microwave, lots of recipes on the web. There is also a gluten-free Halloween candy list or two floating around this site with lots of store bought candies. Oh, "Corn Thins" are good with peanut butter etc on them. You can try rice cakes also but I like the corn thins better myself.

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.

Don't eat in restaurants

Eat only whole foods not processed foods.

Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.

Take probiotics.

Take gluten-free vitamins.

Take digestive enzymes.

Avoid dairy.

Avoid sugars and starchy foods.

Avoid alcohol.

FAQ Celiac com

http://www.celiac.co...celiac-disease/

Newbie Info 101

http://www.celiac.co...ewbie-info-101/

What's For Breakfast Today?

http://www.celiac.co...reakfast-today/

What Did You Have For Lunch Today?

http://www.celiac.co...or-lunch-today/

What Are You Cooking Tonight?

http://www.celiac.co...ooking-tonight/

Dessert thread

http://www.celiac.co...399#entry802399

Easy yummy bread in minutes

http://www.celiac.co...ead-in-minutes/

How bad is cheating?

http://www.celiac.co...t-periodically/

Short temper thread

http://www.celiac.co...per-depression/

Non celiac wheat sensitivity article

Open Original Shared Link

bartfull Rising Star

I can have dairy but no gluten, soy, or corn. I snack on Sesmark rice crackers. (They happen to have no dairy either.) And they are REALLY REALLY good. I used to love them even before I went gluten-free. Kettle Brand Sea Salt potato chips are good. Planters nuts will always be gluten-free unless stated otherwise.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TiaMichi2 Apprentice

I can not have lactose, soy or corn and of course the obviously evil gluten...... :angry: I snack on GO RAW Banana Bread Flax Bar, and their Pumpink Super Chips, they are yummy.....

1974girl Enthusiast

Do you have problems with them or is this just something your doctor tells all celiac patients? Our first opinion told us no gluten or dairy despite my dd having zero symptoms. While I understand that some have issues with it until they heal, my dd did not. The second opinion said to let her have dairy. Ignore this if you have issues but I dont like a one size fits all approach to any disease.

freedomseek00 Rookie

Thanks everyone for your help! I'm starting to feel better and getting used to the diet. I still have times where I really miss the old foods I used to eat but I'm not having the awful stomach cramps that I used to get when eating gluten/wheat/dairy/soy nor am I getting that horrible diarrhea that kept me on a leash to my bathroom. So I'm definitely seeing the benefits. I struggled a little in there but have been "clean" (for lack of a better word) for a full 7 days now! I'm starting to get my energy back too!

I tried a few gluten-free products like those from Enjoy Life (free of top 8 allergens I believe) and some Lundberg rice chips. Enjoy Life foods were really disappointing (I tried the crisp sugar cookies and the fruit bars) but the rice chips were good! I'm not much of a salty person though. I've always preferred the sweets but I'm slowly realizing that allergen free versions are just not the same as my old favorites. BUT, I keep reminding myself that my old favorites made me very very sick and definitely not worth going back too.

The only problem that still remains is finding restaurants that are allergen free. My boyfriend is still frustrated with this as am I. A lot of restaurants offer allergen free options but cross contamination is an issue and in these first few weeks I've found that I'm very sensitive to any sort of contamination, no matter how small.

Again, thank you everyone for responding! Celiac.com has helped me so much as I'm figuring this new lifestyle out.

CarolinaKip Community Regular

Try Crunchmasters 7th ancient grain cracker. One is gluten-free dairy free and soy free. I am gluten-free, soy free, nut free and tomato free, so I understand. If you can eat nuts it would be geat dipped into peanut butter, I love it with humus. I also like Cape Cottage chips and some corn chips.

GottaSki Mentor

I actually enjoy going out to restaurants now - why? For the first year I tried to dine out - order everything perfectly - quiz the staff - researched every restaurant - etc. Eventually I had so many food intolerances along with severe cc reactions I was not able to eat out anywhere safely. Once there was no possibility to eat out without getting sick I started bringing my own - I was pleasantly surprised that I became happy doing so because it was no longer a full time job to find a safe restaurant - I could go anywhere my husband and friends wanted. At first you may feel odd bringing your own - but it will pass. I simply tell the wait staff that I have severe allergies and it is not possible for them to prepare safe food, order a nice glass of wine or special non-alcholic beverage and ask them to bring a plate or large bowl out for my food. I usually stick to a colorful salad with grilled chicken or shrimp - most times the wait staff or my friends will comment on how good my meal looks - I find it far more relaxing than trying to order something and ending up ill. Occasionally I run into someone that starts on the pitty party for me - I stop that cold with a "please don't feel bad for me, I am very happy to be healthy now and glad to be enjoying this time out and about".

So ordering gluten free is possible, but if you do find that you need to remain soy and dairy free as well it is no longer worth the battle - at least until you have been gluten, dairy, soy free for a long enough period of time that it becomes easier to have a successful meal out - bring your own and if you find something on the menu that you deem safe - order it. In the meantime - just enjoy being out.

IMHO :)

SensitiveMe Rookie

Me too on those restrictions plus corn and oats. When I go to the grocery store the only snacks I can find are in the health food aisle where I either get potato chips cooked in canola or safflower oil.

At my little natural food market I get Good Health Natural Foods brand Sea Salt Humbles which are baked Hummus chips.

And Mediterranean Snacks brand of Baked Lentil Chips (and the package has a good Hummus Dip recipe on the back which I make). If you see and want to try these be careful to get the Sea Salt variety of Humbles and the Sea Salt variety of Baked Lentil Chips. There are several different varieties of each of these and I have ended up grabbing the wrong one and having to give it to someone else here.

Kelleybean Enthusiast

Hi everyone,

Have you seen this website - www.elanaspantry.com? All of her recipes are gluten, dairy, soy, and sugar free. Plus most are super easy.

NorthernElf Enthusiast

GFinDC - like your post & agree with most of it - but I do still like my wine now & again. I tried to eat at a restaurant last Monday and today (Friday) I think I am almost recovered. We went there because we had a gift card & I ordered because the waitress said she was gluten-free and understood....of course she recommended the teriyaki chicken so I should have known (I had a curry dish). Pain...cramps...nausea...spastic stomach, headaches, joint pain, fatigue...long week.

I am SO tired of people who use gluten as a weight loss trick !

I just took my daughter over to a friend's house & picked up chinese for them...painful ! Smells so good...but essentially poisonous!!!! 99% of the time this celiac thing doesn't bother me- it's really a healthy diet & I love to cook from scratch...but restaurants, travel, social gatherings...suck ! I cling to my coffee & wine !! He he.

Anyway - back to the original question - I avoid most dairy (half & half in my coffee & lite cheddar here & there) and I have tried to eat tofu with bad results. No soy, little dairy - & fatty food doesn't agree with me either. Quite frankly, before my celiac issues 10+ years ago I had processed food & fatty food issues & lots of reflux anyway. A week long bad virus changed things and there went gluten...painful to figure that one out!!!

Since going gluten-free - no more reflux issues.

Archived