14 replies to this topic

#1 SwtRandi

SwtRandi

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:21 AM

I am new to this and the other day my boyfriend and I went to Taco Bell. I got 2 hard shell tacos with beans instead of meat. I assumed (I know I know) the hard shells would be corn and fine to eat. Then out of curiosity I looked on the website. It says tostadas are safe, but hard shell tacos are not?! Why is that?! Is it because of the beef? However, I had it with beans...maybe different?! Help!! I have done so good on the gluten-free diet that I don't want to mess up over 2 Taco Bell tacos :(

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:29 AM

Never assume ingredients. Taco Bell has almost nothing listed as gluten-free. It is unlikely the employees know what is in the food either.

Always keep something with you. Maybe in your purse or car for times when you are really hungry. A Lara bar/gluten-free granola/gfprotein bar, package of nuts, etc. That way you won't make these mistakes.

Some people print off what is gluten-free at various fast food places and keep it in the car. Then if they get stuck with nothing to eat, they look at the Wendy's page and see they can have a baked potato with chili on it and a Frosty.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 SwtRandi

SwtRandi

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:41 AM

Thank you for your reply! Good idea about the print outs! Can anyone answer my question about the difference between a tostada shell and a hard taco shell?!

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,318 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:52 AM

Thank you for your reply! Good idea about the print outs! Can anyone answer my question about the difference between a tostada shell and a hard taco shell?!

Email taco bell? They know the ingredients

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:01 AM

A tostada is flat and a taco is curved. As far as what Taco Bell serves, you're going to ask them and don't assume ANYONE ELSE will do it the same way. Every manufacturer and restaurant is different.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#6 SwtRandi

SwtRandi

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:07 AM

Thanks for that one difference of appearance!! I meant the ingredients however! Haha! I guess I will email them. Thanks for the help anyways :)

#7 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 06:10 AM

They probably use different ingredients for different menu items. Some restaurants and chip brands have wheat listed in the ingredients for corn chips and shells. My husband picked up some Aldi-brand tortilla chips last week instead of our usual brand, and they have wheat listed in the ingredients. On the Border chips are not gluten free either.

I'd stay away from Taco Bell entirely. They put so many non-food ingredients in their food that you never know what you're eating. Here's their ingredients list: http://www.tacobell....edientstatement

Looks like the taco shell contains oat fiber, which can be CC'd with wheat, and it's listed twice.

A bunch of their menu items also have TBHQ listed. Sounds harmless right? Well, I wish the FDA would require labeling to include the non-acronymed name of that substance, which is tertiary butylhydroquinone. Who would want to eat that? But that FDA thinks it's okay because it only causes cancer in lab animals in extremely high doses. :o

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for that one difference of appearance!! I meant the ingredients however! Haha! I guess I will email them. Thanks for the help anyways :)

Well, you asked...:).
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#9 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:27 AM

The taco shell contains oat fiber, which most likely comes from contaminated sources.

TACO SHELL
Ground Corn treated with Lime, Water, Vegetable Oil (Contains One Or More Of The Following: Soybean Oil, Corn Oil) With TBHQ And Citric Acid Added As Preservative, Oat Fiber. Corn, Vegetable Oil (May Contain One Or All Of The Following: Soybean Oil, Corn Oil, Or Cottonseed Oil), Oat Fiber, TBHQ (Used As A Preservative). *Will Contain One Of The Ingredient Statements Above, Depending Upon Regional Suppliers

The tostada shell does not:

TOSTADA SHELL*
Ground Corn Treated With Lime, Water, Vegetable Oil (May Contain One Of The Following: Soybean Oil, Corn Oil), With TBHQ and Citric Acid Added As A Preservative.

Corn, Vegetable Oil (May Contain One Of The Following: Soybean, Corn, Or Cottonseed Oil), TBHQ (Used As A Preservative).

http://www.tacobell....edientstatement

richard

#10 SwtRandi

SwtRandi

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:16 AM

Thanks Richard! Exactly, the info I was looking for. I guess I set myself back eating those 2 tacos :(

#11 RonSchon

RonSchon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 142 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:21 PM

You didn't mention if they affected you?

#12 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:33 PM

....... I guess I set myself back eating those 2 tacos :(

IMO, I doubt if there was enough wheat contamination, if any, to cause much, if any, damage to your small intestines. I wouldn't worry too much about it after the fact.

You didn't say if you were diagnosed with Celiac Disease, are self diagnosed with gluten intolerance, or what. That could make a difference also. Celiacs can have long term accumulated damage with no acute symptoms. I'm under the impression that gluten intolerance has more immediate, but not necessarily long lasting effects.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#13 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

I would agree that there would probably be little gluten from that oat bran, but still that's a difference between the two.

richard

#14 cap6

cap6

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 687 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:22 AM

When eating fast food it can be as simple as someone touching a flour tortilla and then touching your corn one. You have to think about the cross contamination along with the food item.

#15 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 11:38 AM

It could also be that the taco shells are deep fried. I'm not sure about the tostada shells, but they may not be. Anything deep fried in a non-dedicated fryer will be cc'd

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: