9 replies to this topic

#1 Joe0123

Joe0123

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:19 PM

I've been trying to find one that's safe but so far I'm having no luck. Any suggestions? And yes, please don't confuse it with coconut palm sugar, they are different products :P

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,312 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 01:33 PM

Not sure why the ones you have seen are not "safe". I didn't know what it was, so I googled it. The 2 kinds I looked at listed the sugar as the only ingredient.

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#3 love2travel

love2travel

Čeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 03:03 PM

The palm sugars I buy are always gluten free. I purchase them at an Asian store here in Canada.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#4 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:36 PM

The palm sugars I buy are always gluten free. I purchase them at an Asian store here in Canada.

What are the brand names? I'll try and find an Asian grocery around where I live though and see what they have, that's a good idea.

#5 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:43 PM

Asian stores are great for so many things, such as very fine rice flour, which is a lot finer than those in regular grocery stores. Not to mention cheaper!

One of the palm sugars in my pantry is Cock brand and contains only 100% pure palm sugar. The other is in Asian which I cannot read. Sorry! But the ingredient lists only 100% palm sugar.

I buy all sorts of excellent noodles there, too, such as mung bean, purple yam, cornstarch, and so on. Right now I probably have at least 12 different kinds of noodles from the Asian store. And they are dirt cheap. :)
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

#6 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:31 AM

The other is in Asian which I cannot read.

Don't think that's a language :P also that brand is made from coconut palm. Seems like everything is. Argh.

#7 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 12:35 PM

Don't think that's a language :P also that brand is made from coconut palm. Seems like everything is. Argh.

It is a language - there are a few "letters" that look like the brand that are separate; the other letters are formed into a sentence that I cannot decipher.

But it states that it simply contains palm sugar so I would think whatever the brand is (!!) would be safe. Same with the Cock brand which I mentioned above, if you can locate it.

#8 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:59 PM

The terms "palm sugar" and "coconut palm sugar" seem to be used interchangeably. The Cock brand is from the coconut palm.

#9 love2travel

love2travel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 06:23 PM

I did not realize that. Sorry for harping on and on about the brands that I have! :o

#10 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:13 AM

It's ok, the labeling gets really confusing. I found one that says it is from the palmyra palm but it still calls it coconut palm sugar :blink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: