This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What To Serve As A Side Dish?

SharonF

SharonF Contributor

What do you serve as side dishes with your meals? I am fond of the humble spud, but there's only so much you can do with one. Pre-diagnosis we would have often had a muffin or garlic bread or something. I could still serve that stuff to the rest of the family and go without, but I prefer just having one meal.

My family doesn't really "do" rice. Between the picky eaters and my gluten intolerance, dinner is just a barrel of monkeys at my house.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ILOVEOMC Enthusiast
:D I can relate to this, with 4 kids under 12 AND lose molars that hurt AND gluten free eating it is hard. We just do lots of veggies. frozen ones in the micro wave are what we eat. You can make your own muffins or toast some gluten-free bread and serve with butter and jam. Sweet potatoes with brown sugar work well as a filler and butter and brown sugar make them taste better. gluten-free pasta with butter and a little Parmesean Cheese would make a side dish. We also use multi colored pasta and then pour gluten-free italian dressing over it and serve cold as a pasta salad side dish. Hope this helps a little.
jenvan Collaborator

granted...some of my suggestions include rice :( have you tried it with veggies in it or different spices? ...fruit salad, side salad, bean salad, sweet potato fries (can slice and bake in oven with spices), rice or quinoa cooked in broth/spices for good flavor (or sauteed with veggies), sauteed veggies, tomato/mozzarella salad, steamed veggies (w/or w/o sauce), refried beans, risotta, chips and salsa, noodles, dirty rice, baked beans, creamed corn (make sure its gluten-free), gluten-free biscuits and honey, gluten-free flatbread/tortillas, chebe cinnamon bread, sauteed mushrooms... also ck out the side dish recipe collections below to get ideas...

Open Original Shared Link

hez Enthusiast

I just recently tried the chebe mix for pizza sticks. It was very easy to work with and turned out great. You could try just making small rolls for dinner and see if this fills in the void.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

1. Sauteed Spinach w/ garlic and parmesan cheese

2. Creamed Spinach (Use gluten-free Flour and parmesan cheese and cream)

3. Spianch and Artichoke dip (Mix both with cream cheese and serve chilled -- S&P to tasete

4. Marinated Mushrooms in garlic, olive oil, red wine vinegar and basil

5. Cheddar Cheese Grits

6. Potato Skins with Cheese and Bacon

7. Sauteed Mushrooms in red wine, garlic and butter

8. Cheesy Broccoli

9. Snap Peas/Carrots/Broccoli with Hollandaise sauce or cheese

10. Chebe Bread -- Garlic Bread

Be creative with Mashed Potatoes -- I like Pepper Jack Mashers or Jalapeno-Cheddar

Twice Baked Potatoes

Scalloped Taters (Easier than you think) -- Just need a casserole dish, a mandolin, salt and pepper, cheese, cream, little gluten-free thickening agent and gluten-free brad crumbs on top.

tarnalberry Community Regular

Well, vegetables are an obvious alternative - even if you already do vegetables, you can do another variety. Other root vegetables would be a good option (ginger glazed root vegetables, sweet potato fries, parslied carrots, beets, etc.), but any other type of vegetable will do. Beans are another option (baked beans, refriend beans, lentils, garbanzo bean salad, etc.) that provide more fiber and nutrition than potatoes. Other grains are also an option (millet, quinoa, amaranth, buckwheat) that can be used in a wide variety of ways. Salads can take the place of that course, or a soup.

kabowman Explorer

Here are some sides (in addition to the many already listed) that we do in place of potatoes. I have one kid who doesn't like potatoes so we often look for alternatives.

Mac and cheese (I can't eat so I don't worry about making it gluten-free) - just make it with gluten-free pasta.

Cottage cheese

Sauted artichoke hearts (with garlic and lemon)

Soup

Pasta salad

Salad

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

apple sauce

baked beans

pasta salad

mac and cheese

salad

carot salad

cole slaw *dice the cabage leaves for kids who can't chew with loose teeth

fruit salad

olives

SharonF Contributor
Scalloped Taters (Easier than you think) -- Just need a casserole dish, a mandolin, salt and pepper, cheese, cream, little gluten-free thickening agent and gluten-free brad crumbs on top.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Um--how do I use a mandolin to make potatoes? Isn't that a stringed musical instrument? :D

luvs2eat Collaborator

Risotto... in any way, shape, or form. It's simple to make and who doesn't love sticky, cheesy rice??

I love polenta... also easy to make.

tarnalberry Community Regular
Um--how do I use a mandolin to make potatoes?  Isn't that a stringed musical instrument?    :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A mandolin for the kitchen is just a device for cutting items into thin slices (or strings). It's a plastic (usually) "tray" with a VERY sharp V shaped edge on it.

Diosa Apprentice

For side dishes in our house (I can't have rice or soy, and potatoes only in limited amounts) here's what I make:

bean salad (red beans, black beans, chickpeas and corn are the base with a vinegrette)

tangy green beans (green beans with red peppers and a Dijon mustard vinegrette)

roasted veggies/grilled veggies (roasted carrots are by far my favorite, but roasted broccoli is a close second, followed by roasted cauliflower)

mixed greens salad

gluten-free bread (on occasion)

gluten-free cornbread (super easy to make)

When I can have potatoes, I usually grlll them. :) If I'm feeling brave, I'll do a lemon-garlic aioli. (mayo and I don't always agree)

Maybe some of these would work for you?

rmmadden Contributor

With a last name like MADDEN I didn't realize that there were other choices besides potato's as a side dish.......lol

Remember the scene from Forest Gump where Bubba is describing all the different ways to cook shrimp? Well, in my house it goes like this:

Baked Potato's....

Boiled Potato's....

French-Fried Potato's....

Garlic French-Fried Potato's....

Hashed Brown Potato's....

Potato Croquette's....

Potato Pancakes....

Mashed Potato's....

Garlic Mashed Potato's....

Potato Salad....

Potato Salad w/ Egg....

German Potato Salad....

Garlic Potato's....

Potato's O'Brien....

Red Skin Potato's....

New Potato's....

Fingerling Potato's....

Hawaiian (Purple) Potato's (Special Occassions Only Please)....

Parsley Potato's....

Twice Baked Potato's....

Potato Skins....

Potato Soup....

I think that's all of them.

Cleveland Bob B)

granny Rookie

Baked Potato's....

Boiled Potato's....

French-Fried Potato's....

Garlic French-Fried Potato's....

Hashed Brown Potato's....

Potato Croquette's....

Potato Pancakes....

Mashed Potato's....

Garlic Mashed Potato's....

Potato Salad....

Potato Salad w/ Egg....

German Potato Salad....

Garlic Potato's....

Potato's O'Brien....

Red Skin Potato's....

New Potato's....

Fingerling Potato's....

Hawaiian (Purple) Potato's (Special Occassions Only Please)....

Parsley Potato's....

Twice Baked Potato's....

Potato Skins....

Potato Soup....

I had to laugh at your list-it reminded me so much of us! We have meat& potaotes, and the vegies. My daughter-n-l has reminded me several times that potatoes are a Vegetable. I was in total shock the first time because I'd never considered it to be a vegetable. It just went with the meat dish! LOL

Now, everything is low-fat and gluten-free and chocolate! LOL granny

SharonF Contributor

How does one make gluten-free corn bread?

Archived