12 replies to this topic

#1 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

So I started NAET therapy at the recommendation of my dietician who is certified to practice it. She wanted to see if it will clear up some of my other emerging sensitivities and thought I'd be a good candidate. Not sure if it'll work but I'm trying to keep my mind open to see if I'll feel better. Anyway, I decided to try to do some research on NAET therapy and Celiac disease and I found the most ridiculous blog I've ever seen in my life...I got some chuckles out of it and I'm hoping that you guys will too...

"In 2005 or so I was diagnosed by stool test as positive for Celiac. The symptoms I had at the time were feelings of early fullness when eating and constipation, as well as anxiety and overall poor health. I went on a gluten free diet which improved my symptoms almost immediately. Was on this strict gluten free diet for 3 years until I came across an alternative energy-based treatment for allergies called NAET. (naet.com.) Ive talked about NAET in a previous post. After several treatments for a wide array of allergens I was re-tested by muscle testing and found to be free of the gluten intolerance. Not scientific proof per say, but I started eating gluten again and was free of the symptoms I had in the past.

Ive been eating gluten for a few years again now and just recently had an endoscopy for some other stomach problems Ive been having. They took a biopsy (tissue sample) and tested for Celiac and H.pylori. They both came back NEGATIVE. So to recap, in 2005 a stool test showed positive for Celiac and in 2009, just this past month, I had a biopsy that was negative for Celiac. Proving that Celiac is NOT an incurable disease, but a curable one!"

A STOOL SAMPLE?? YOU WERE DIAGNOSED WITH CELIAC FROM A STOOL SAMPLE????? I feel bad laughing but this is just ridiculous...needless to say my fingers started flying and I provided her some education regarding the truth about Celiac diagnosing. I don't know whether she misunderstood or her doctor was an idiot (neither would surprise me) NAET didnt cure your Celiac sweetie, you just never had it to begin with....(head smacks desk) Uggh.

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 WitsEnd

WitsEnd

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 08:42 PM

Yikes!

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 09:05 PM

Or, she has it and the biopsy missed it.

Or, she's ncgs.

Or, she had a leaky gut.

Gee, wonder what those "other" stomach problems are...?

Yeah, I love some of the stuff out there about gluten. Frightening.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 come dance with me

come dance with me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 10:19 PM

Wow, a stool test hey...
Lord please give me patience, because if you give me strength, I may just beat the living crap out of someone...

#5 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:07 AM

She probably tested originally through Enterolab, which can detect a gluten intolerance but can not diagnose Celiac.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#6 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,124 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:14 AM

Muscle testing proving she doesn't have gluten intolerance or Celiac? These poor people who throw so much money at these "cures".

I find these things rather sad, not funny.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#7 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:24 AM

I, too, find these types of "medical scams" sad.

People in pain will try anything to get well. (I know, I was one of them)

There is no scientific or medical evidence that NAET or muscle testing or hair analysis etc. will "diagnose, cure or treat" anything at all. I saw one Pub Med article about one case of NAET, but the evidence is weak. It concluded "This case report highlights the possible benefit of NAET for children with food allergy. Randomized clinical trials should be encouraged to study the effectiveness of NAET in treating food allergy."

"possible" benefits.

There are no clinical trials reported.

If you have concerns or questions about any diagnostic method, you may wish to contact the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (AAAAI).

Here is a list of questionable "allergy testing" methods.

http://www.faiusa.or...ge.aspx?pid=389

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#8 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:41 AM

My mother is a smart lady with a degree in Psychology and an MBA.

She has done NAET.

She thinks it helped, for a short while. She has tried everything EXCEPT getting proper thyroid antibody tests (she's hypo), vitamin panels, and a Celiac panel.

She willingly eats around foods that bug her (and it's weird what gets her...leaky gut I'm sure); but claims eating gluten-free is too inconvenient.

She has horrible back and hip pain, urgent bm's, terrible allergies.

She keeps going to a quack Chiro who keeps doing quack things. The redeeming factor is at least the massages work well.

How can a smart person be so dumb??

I hope she doesn't lurk here.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#9 kittty

kittty

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:59 AM

If she did have celiacs, why would she be shouting "Eureka! I'm cured!" if she's having the symptoms again after going back to gluten? A gluten-free diet cured her of her ailments, she went back to gluten, and now she's having medical problems again. Duh?

#10 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:56 AM

I, too, find these types of "medical scams" sad.

People in pain will try anything to get well. (I know, I was one of them)

There is no scientific or medical evidence that NAET or muscle testing or hair analysis etc. will "diagnose, cure or treat" anything at all. I saw one Pub Med article about one case of NAET, but the evidence is weak. It concluded "This case report highlights the possible benefit of NAET for children with food allergy. Randomized clinical trials should be encouraged to study the effectiveness of NAET in treating food allergy."

"possible" benefits.

There are no clinical trials reported.

If you have concerns or questions about any diagnostic method, you may wish to contact the American Academy of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology (AAAAI).

Here is a list of questionable "allergy testing" methods.

http://www.faiusa.or...ge.aspx?pid=389

Hair analysis can diagnose drug use!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:P
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#11 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:09 AM

Yeah, I find it sad too. I was on the other side of it years ago when even my doctors didn't know what to do with me. I saw a Kinesiologist, on the advice of my sister, who did muscle testing on me and "identified" several food intolerances. Interestingly, "wheat, oats, barley, and rye" were among those. I followed his advice, which also included eliminating sugars, artificial sweeteners, caffeine, a few other things--and took the expensive supplements he "prescribed".

I didn't see much of a difference--of course a few of the supplements contained gluten. This was a couple years before I was diagnosed. If I knew then what I know now.....

I know a few people who have been helped by NAET, but after my personal experience, I wouldn't put much stock in it.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#12 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,550 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

Hair analysis can diagnose drug use!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

:P

Would you call that a "diagnosis"? really? I would call that
"forensic analysis"...but why split hairs? ;)

And you know full well I was talking about diagnosing food allergies and specifically, in that context.... you little scamp. :P

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#13 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:34 AM

you little scamp. :P

It's a condition....
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

0 user(s) are reading this topic