Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Labeling Of Imported Foods

4 posts in this topic

I've been buying a lot of food from the local Vietnamese market recently, because most of their food is naturally gluten free. Last week my husband picked up a different brand of rice noodles than we usually use. Out of curiosity I looked at the ingredients list, and it just said "Flour, Water."

I'm assuming the "flour" is actually rice flour, because they look and taste just like rice noodles. But what are the chances that "flour" could have some wheat blended in? I know all US labels have to mention any presence of wheat, but what about imported items?

Ads by Google:

I've been buying a lot of food from the local Vietnamese market recently, because most of their food is naturally gluten free. Last week my husband picked up a different brand of rice noodles than we usually use. Out of curiosity I looked at the ingredients list, and it just said "Flour, Water."

I'm assuming the "flour" is actually rice flour, because they look and taste just like rice noodles. But what are the chances that "flour" could have some wheat blended in? I know all US labels have to mention any presence of wheat, but what about imported items?

Imported items much comply as well. Yet, still that would make me feel uncomfortable.

Does the package itself say 'rice noodles'? The rice noodles I have are from Thailand, and the ingredients say 'rice and water'. If it said 'flour' I'd be very suspicious and probably not eat them.

This would make me uncomfortable, too. It is most likely rice but "flour" is suspect in my mind. I have seen lots of imported items that should be labelled "wheat" or whatever but are not at small family-run hole-in-the-wall ethnic shops that I love so much. They are supposed to comply but not all do. And the labelling laws in Canada just became far stiffer as of August 4 and my most recent shopping trip to said shops was after that.

If in doubt, don't buy.