3 replies to this topic

#1 kittty

kittty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:34 AM

I've been buying a lot of food from the local Vietnamese market recently, because most of their food is naturally gluten free. Last week my husband picked up a different brand of rice noodles than we usually use. Out of curiosity I looked at the ingredients list, and it just said "Flour, Water."

I'm assuming the "flour" is actually rice flour, because they look and taste just like rice noodles. But what are the chances that "flour" could have some wheat blended in? I know all US labels have to mention any presence of wheat, but what about imported items?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:37 AM

I've been buying a lot of food from the local Vietnamese market recently, because most of their food is naturally gluten free. Last week my husband picked up a different brand of rice noodles than we usually use. Out of curiosity I looked at the ingredients list, and it just said "Flour, Water."

I'm assuming the "flour" is actually rice flour, because they look and taste just like rice noodles. But what are the chances that "flour" could have some wheat blended in? I know all US labels have to mention any presence of wheat, but what about imported items?

Imported items much comply as well. Yet, still that would make me feel uncomfortable.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 ciamarie

ciamarie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:40 PM

Does the package itself say 'rice noodles'? The rice noodles I have are from Thailand, and the ingredients say 'rice and water'. If it said 'flour' I'd be very suspicious and probably not eat them.
Gluten-free since the end of October 2011

#4 love2travel

love2travel

ńĆeznem da se u Hrvatskoj!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 06:54 PM

This would make me uncomfortable, too. It is most likely rice but "flour" is suspect in my mind. I have seen lots of imported items that should be labelled "wheat" or whatever but are not at small family-run hole-in-the-wall ethnic shops that I love so much. They are supposed to comply but not all do. And the labelling laws in Canada just became far stiffer as of August 4 and my most recent shopping trip to said shops was after that.

If in doubt, don't buy.
<p>Confirmed celiac disease February 2011 from biopsies. Strictly gluten free March 18 2011.Diagnosed with fibromyalgia April 13 2011.3 herniated discs, myofascial pain syndrome, IT band syndrome, 2 rotator cuff injuries - from an accident Dec. 07 - resulting in chronic pain ever since. Degenerative disc disease.Osteoarthritis in back and hips.Chronic insomnia mostly due to chronic pain.Aspartame free May 2011.

When our lives are squeezed by pressure and pain, what comes out is what is inside.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: