2 replies to this topic

#1 rami

rami

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:32 PM

My 8-year old son was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease after + bloodwork and biopsy. After recommendations from his doctor my husband and I, as well as our other two children were also tested. When the test was ordered for the children it included a ttg IGA, ttg IGG, and a total IGA. However, the test ordered for my husband and I by two different doctors only included the ttg IGA and ttg IGG, it did not include the total IGA. We were told by both of our doctors that our results were negative, but since the tests that were ordered were different from those ordered for the children I'm not sure if our results are accurate? My 8-year old is the only member of our family diagnosed and the only abnormality in his bloodwork was his ttg IGA, the ttg IGG and total IGA were normal. The other two children had "normal" results for all three tests. My husband and I had identical results as follows:

ttg IGA - 3
<=19 is normal
ttg IGG - 5
<=19 is normal

Although I am grateful, I find it strange that my poor son is the only member of our family with Celiac considering it is genetic. Can anyone offer any insight?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 01:55 PM

My 8-year old son was recently diagnosed with Celiac disease after + bloodwork and biopsy. After recommendations from his doctor my husband and I, as well as our other two children were also tested. When the test was ordered for the children it included a ttg IGA, ttg IGG, and a total IGA. However, the test ordered for my husband and I by two different doctors only included the ttg IGA and ttg IGG, it did not include the total IGA. We were told by both of our doctors that our results were negative, but since the tests that were ordered were different from those ordered for the children I'm not sure if our results are accurate? My 8-year old is the only member of our family diagnosed and the only abnormality in his bloodwork was his ttg IGA, the ttg IGG and total IGA were normal. The other two children had "normal" results for all three tests. My husband and I had identical results as follows:

ttg IGA - 3
<=19 is normal
ttg IGG - 5
<=19 is normal

Although I am grateful, I find it strange that my poor son is the only member of our family with Celiac considering it is genetic. Can anyone offer any insight?

Carrying the gene only predisposes you to developing celiac; it does not mean that you will have it. It is widely accepted that there needs to be a trigger for celiac disease to develop, either physical or mental stress; childbirth can be a trigger. There is no way of knowing what your son's trigger was. But he must have received the gene(s) from either of you or both.

The reason for running the total serum IGA is to determine if you produce normal quantities of IGA antibodies. If you do not then they run the IGG versions of the tests. Both your doctors covered this possibility by running the tTG IGG test as well as the IGA.
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 frieze

frieze

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 09:26 AM

ttg IGA - 3
<=19 is normal
ttg IGG - 5
<=19 is normal

I realize that you and your husband had both IgA and IgG run, but i would still like to see a total IgA. also the deaminated testing is apparently the "new" norm?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: