Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Dh Or Psoriasis?

9 posts in this topic

I've read everywhere that DH is extremely itchy, but mine is only itchy when it first appears. It usually starts off as a small blister (which is itchy) but once the blister goes, it's not itchy at all. My mum thinks it's psoriasis but I'm not sure. I don't seem to get it really bad either, just small patches.

This was in July 2012:

http://i49.tinypic.com/34pdl5t.jpg

http://i48.tinypic.com/21dphm8.jpg

This how it usually starts, just a tiny blister type spot:

http://i47.tinypic.com/d4s8.jpg

This is from today:

http://i50.tinypic.com/27zdgqo.jpg

I've also got it on my face at the moment, but didn't really want to take a picture. I only seem to get it on my left hand/arm, legs and face but recently had a patch on my tail bone.

Any information/advice would be greatly appreciated. :)

Ads by Google:

Looks a lot like dh to me. I don't believe psoriasis blisters. Does yours burn or sting? Tail bone is a classic place for dh to present. You might be lucky so far in that it doesn't drive you nuts itching ---- yet. How long do the lesions usually last before they heal?

Oh, gee, I see now you are dx'd celiac ---- in that case you have dh. You've been gluten-free since 2011 ---- that explains why it doesn't drive you bonkers itching. You are getting cc'd somewhere & that's why the dh is showing up. Go over everything --- everything & try to figure out where the cc is coming from. DH is very, very sensitive to the smallest amount of gluten.

Hmm, looks somewhat like DH but if you think you've been pretty strict about your diet, it also could be something else. My psoriasis started after I went gluten-free. I also get little blisters like that on my hands (and nowhere else) occasionally but It is NOT DH. Anyway, a decent dermatologist should be able to tell pretty easily.

richard

I have palmoplantar pustular psoriasis. It only shows up on the palms of my hands and around the heels and bottoms of my feet. There is also a generalized pustular psoriasis that can show up on any part of the body. In both cases, the pustules look like whithead pimples. After a day or three they turn into little red spots. As they heal, the skin will crack and peel.

If your pustules don't look like whitehead pimples, that's not what you have.

Looks a lot like dh to me. I don't believe psoriasis blisters. Does yours burn or sting? Tail bone is a classic place for dh to present. You might be lucky so far in that it doesn't drive you nuts itching ---- yet. How long do the lesions usually last before they heal?

Oh, gee, I see now you are dx'd celiac ---- in that case you have dh. You've been gluten-free since 2011 ---- that explains why it doesn't drive you bonkers itching. You are getting cc'd somewhere & that's why the dh is showing up. Go over everything --- everything & try to figure out where the cc is coming from. DH is very, very sensitive to the smallest amount of gluten.

It burns as the blister appears but as soon as the blister goes and the "rash" appears, it seems to be fine. The patch on tail bone, however, is extremely itchy - especially at night. They take a long time to heal (4-6 weeks) but I generally take ages to heal anyway.

I had some BBQ Rib Doritos at the weekend and I think that's where the CC came from - there's no gluten containing ingredients but they're made in a factory that handles gluten. I know I shouldn't have eaten them, but I guess I'll learn from my mistakes!

Hmm, looks somewhat like DH but if you think you've been pretty strict about your diet, it also could be something else. My psoriasis started after I went gluten-free. I also get little blisters like that on my hands (and nowhere else) occasionally but It is NOT DH. Anyway, a decent dermatologist should be able to tell pretty easily.

richard

As I said to the above poster, I'm pretty sure it was the BBQ Rib Doritos that I was CC'd with. My mum and a bunch of my cousins have psoriasis so that's why I assumed it was that, but with the Coeliac I thought I'd get a few opinions. I guess if it gets worse, I'll see a dermatologist. Thanks!

I have palmoplantar pustular psoriasis. It only shows up on the palms of my hands and around the heels and bottoms of my feet. There is also a generalized pustular psoriasis that can show up on any part of the body. In both cases, the pustules look like whithead pimples. After a day or three they turn into little red spots. As they heal, the skin will crack and peel.

If your pustules don't look like whitehead pimples, that's not what you have.

I looked up palmoplantar pustular psoriasis and it doesn't look like that at all. Looks very painful though, I feel for you!

I looked up palmoplantar pustular psoriasis and it doesn't look like that at all. Looks very painful though, I feel for you!

Thanks. It is very painful, but the good news is that as long as I stay away from gluten, soy, most forms of corn, and foods high in salicylates, it goes away completely. :)

Thanks. It is very painful, but the good news is that as long as I stay away from gluten, soy, most forms of corn, and foods high in salicylates, it goes away completely. :)

I'm glad you're able to prevent it. :)

I have had spots like those too. My blisters are long gone, but my skin still itches like crazy. I wish my skin did not itch so much. My skin now peels and is very dry. I have been mis-diagnosed with Psoriasis several times. A skin biopsy in one spot done last year did show a small amount of Psoriasis once. But my next dermatologist said it was definitely not Psoriasis. I have several friends with Psoriasis, and none of my skin areas look like theirs do. I am puzzled as to what is really going on. I am thinking it is just a form of Gluten Intolerance.

Psoriasis takes many different forms. Pustular, guttate, etc., etc. I suppose it is theoretcally possible to have both psoriasis and DH, although usually one seems to have one or the other. Have you looked at pictures of all the different forms of psoriasis and of DH? Generally, looking at these pictures, you can find something that matches what yours looks like. Psoriasis does not tend to scar; DH does tend to scar although there are variations that do not leave scarring. Psoriasis itches like cracy but generally does not hurt; DH generally does both. Do some googling and see what you can come up with is my best advice.