Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Can Family Have Different Symptoms?

5 posts in this topic

Now that I know what has been causing all of my medical problems, I want to encourage my family to get tested. My grandparents all died quite young, but I'm pretty sure my paternal grandmother had obvious celiac symptoms (edema, chronic diarrhea, arthritis from a very young age, muscle cramps, depression). But no one else in my family has symptoms like mine. All except for my immediate family live in Europe, and I've heard that there is less gluten in flour over there. Could that mean less possibility of developing symptoms?

Is it possible for family members to have celiac, but have very different symptoms from each other?

My brother has always been pale, with a flushed face and eczema-like rashes on his skin. He's also had problems with fatigue and depression, but no GI issues as far as I know. I've never had any of the skin-related symptoms though. I'm definitely going to suggest he get tested.

Ads by Google:

Now that I know what has been causing all of my medical problems, I want to encourage my family to get tested. My grandparents all died quite young, but I'm pretty sure my paternal grandmother had obvious celiac symptoms (edema, chronic diarrhea, arthritis from a very young age, muscle cramps, depression). But no one else in my family has symptoms like mine. All except for my immediate family live in Europe, and I've heard that there is less gluten in flour over there. Could that mean less possibility of developing symptoms?

Is it possible for family members to have celiac, but have very different symptoms from each other?

My brother has always been pale, with a flushed face and eczema-like rashes on his skin. He's also had problems with fatigue and depression, but no GI issues as far as I know. I've never had any of the skin-related symptoms though. I'm definitely going to suggest he get tested.

YES! we are unique genetic beings, and our experience in the world is also unique to each of us. Your brother may have a celiac gene (or not) from the other parent, may have it in combo with a different nonceliac gene, than you do, so may exhibit different sx. all your sibs and your parents need to be tested, and if neg, retested every few years. good luck

Absolutely! My sweet mother had the classic D. My digestive symptoms were very mild compared to hers. While we both had psoriasis that cleared up on the gluten-free diet, and we both suffered from insomnia, her insomnia never resolved but mine has.

Also, Mom never developed other intolerances. She could and did eat corn in some form every day with no problems. I on the other hand, had more trouble with corn for the first year than I did with gluten. Mom could and did take asperin. I developed a strong sensitivity to it and other high salicylate foods.

Absolutely - without a doubt. Myself, three kids and two grands all had/have different symptoms - even our reactions to CC or accidental glutening are different.

Yes! Ditto what Gottaski said!

Me: GI (although I didn't really notice...I didn't know what "normal" was!)

DD1: Neurologic (irritable)

DD2: Itchy skin/muscle/joint pain