5 replies to this topic

#1 kittty

kittty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:07 PM

Does anyone here have to travel to conferences for work? Next month is the first conference since I went gluten free, and I'm already having nightmares.

Food for the conference consists of:
Breakfast: breakfast bar in the hotel, with waffles, toast, pastries, fruit
Snacks: cookies and danishes
Lunch: A choice of pasta with meat, or pasta without meat (at least they took the veggies into consideration)
Dinner: Roast in gravy, creamed corn, seasoned potatoes, buttery biscuits, and apple crisp

Gluten! Nothing but gluten!

Other than stealing all the apples from the breakfast bar, what do I do? Should I take a cooler of food for myself, or live on Larabars for a couple of days?

I'd be very interested to know how others overcome situations like this.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Persei V.

Persei V.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:29 PM

I sort of kind of snuck an eletric stove inside the apartments of the hotels I travel to. And then I live of Coke, tapioca and Chocosoy (a brand of gluten and lactose free chocolate, which tastes absolutely normal). I also make my own coffee. Hmm, coffee...

Anyhow, take your own food, surely! If there's barely nothing you can eat, they have to understand the need of bringing your own meals and stuff. Otherwise, just make sure you puke on their favorite shoes :P
Lactose free: 8/6/2006
Gluten and dairy free: 5/2/2012
Grain free: 11/12/2012

I am able to eat somre processed foods again (chocolate, lollipops, soysauce).

#3 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 02:55 PM

Take your own food. If there is a place to heat things, great. If not, take something you don't mind eating cold. Sandwiches on gluten-free bread, gluten-free pasta salads, whatever you like. There's no need to starve yourself. You can even take some gluten-free desserts. If you pack the cooler with pre-frozen bottled water you'll even have something to drink. Those bottles will sweat though, so make sure you have some kind of netting above the ice bottles to keep your food elevated.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#4 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,382 posts

Posted 12 September 2012 - 04:51 PM

Please, read this thread? Maybe it will help. It does not have to be that difficult, I promise you. ;) Karen has done a lot of work finding all these great ideas ...and a travel cooler helps a lot.

http://www.celiac.co...ying-in-hotels/

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

#5 user853

user853

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 03:50 AM

I have asked the "waiters" at these events for a special meal (lunch and dinners) and have always been given something. This is when I was just vegetarian and not gluten-free.

I travel a lot a s bring a ton of food. For breakfast I usually heat up a cereal of quinoa flakes and add freeze dried strawberries. Plus fruit from the grocery and nuts.

Lots of soup heated up in the microwave.

I always have 1 or 2 gluten-free Go Picnic boxes with me too. Normally don't eat processed foods, but sometimes it is the only notion.

#6 1desperateladysaved

1desperateladysaved

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,062 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:51 AM

Does anyone here have to travel to conferences for work? Next month is the first conference since I went gluten free, and I'm already having nightmares.

Food for the conference consists of:
Breakfast: breakfast bar in the hotel, with waffles, toast, pastries, fruit
Snacks: cookies and danishes
Lunch: A choice of pasta with meat, or pasta without meat (at least they took the veggies into consideration)
Dinner: Roast in gravy, creamed corn, seasoned potatoes, buttery biscuits, and apple crisp

Gluten! Nothing but gluten!

Other than stealing all the apples from the breakfast bar, what do I do? Should I take a cooler of food for myself, or live on Larabars for a couple of days?

I'd be very interested to know how others overcome situations like this.

I take so much food with on my trips that I come home with less stuff then I left with. I am a committed believer in eating my own food. I use an electric skillet or crock pot at the hotel. I sometimes precook food. I sometimes back in convenient packs. That means the meat, spices, and veggies I need to make the dish.

I hope you will have a healthy and safe trip.

Diana

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: