36 replies to this topic

#31 Hopeful1950

Hopeful1950

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 08:02 AM

Wow. The doc that gave me the Neurontin never said anything about weaning off of it! (No surprise there). I think the dose I took was 100mg and I only took it intermittently (not every day) so I didn't have any problems, thank goodness. Thanks for giving us the heads up.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#32 karinschm

karinschm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 08:46 AM

Hey everyone,

I don't know if someone already posted about this, but anyway, I also have DH (and I am celiac, diagnosed about 1 month ago by a skin biopsy) and found that topical vitamin B5 works wonders for me -- relieves itching, DH heals faster, prevents the appearance of dark spots and scars, with the bonus of not being an irritant agent. Since it acts as a natural anti-everything (anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic and so on), besides being a skin healer and protector, I think it makes sense... Here is an article about it.

Incidentally, Vitamin B5 is helping my skin to recover in general -- I always had super dry skin, with acne and red spots due to celiac disease. Once I removed gluten from my diet and started doing a "ritual" of vitamin B5 (nighttime moisturizing mask and body creams), I notice the difference in 1 week!

Edited by karinschm, 06 February 2013 - 10:49 AM.

#33 dragonsflyfree

dragonsflyfree

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 12:33 PM

Wow! No one has posted here in a while but I am overwhelmed by the experiences regarding DH, which I am 99% sure I have since I identify with almost everything on this forum. I have been itching insanely for 5 weeks. I have been strictly gluten free for almost 3 weeks but no relief. I have never heard of the iodine perpetuating the skin condition. I eat a lot of eggs and dairy and nuts. I am overwhelmed by the similarities in our ailment and also misdiagnosis'. I have not and probably will not get an intentine biopsy but I am scheduled for a skin biopsy next week. I have been packing my arms, shoulders and wrist in ice for about 5 years now. No topical creams work. Ever. Even a little. Nothing gives me relief but freezing my arms. I am exhausted and frankly depressed about it. Someone mentioned only eating meat, veg, and fruit. I guess I'll try that… hopefully before I go out of my mind. :(

#34 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,327 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 06:07 PM

Your biopsy will come up negative. You HAVE to be actively eating a full gluten diet up to the day of the biopsy. Sorry.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#35 Rita L

Rita L

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:07 PM

Does anyone have just swelling with itching?

#36 Rita L

Rita L

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:12 PM

Okay. I'm not going to stop dear. I don't think you are disagreeing with me & even if you did ..... it's not against the law. :lol: Good things can come from hearty discussions batting things back & forth.
Oh I know the let's blame everything on menopause diagnosis. AND the "let's put you on antidepressants!" Very gleefully said & with a crazed look in their eyes. :huh: And how many people on this board who have been told countless times the same things!!!!!!!

And I am not denying you have legitimate pain from damage in the accidents, just plain life & DDD. What I am saying is that I think you will be amazed at how much pain will go away in time, gluten-free, & healing from gluten damage. Let me term it another way ---- despite the experiences I read on this board I never thought so much of my pain would go away simply from being gluten-free. I have been surprised!!!! Verily! I am surprised your neuro isn't apparently aware of just how much gluten affects the neurological aspect.

Have you checked the forum here for good docs in your area? And if you don't find anything there then POST there saying you're looking for a good this or that doc in your area. Also local celiac support groups can be a wealth of information in that regard.

And I understand & agree that it's not smart to blame everything in your medical profile on celiac & possibly missing something important in the process.

But rest assured that healing does happen. Healing takes time but it DOES happen! You can bank on that one. :)
I sincerely hope that one year from now I will see you posting about how much better your life is than it was one year earlier. There have been many, many who have done so & it is wonderful to read the stories.

Now, I want to address the issue of you eating or rather being afraid to eat or maybe terrified to eat. Honey, You CAN'T be afraid of food! Do not let that devil paranoia take you down!!!!! :ph34r: Do not let it terrorize you. If you do then you are lost. You have to stand up straight, head up, shoulders back & scream that demon down. Go ahead, I dare you. ;)
Do not wait until you're about to faint to eat. Eat regular meals. Not eating like you're doing is not helping to get the weight off. Eating regular meals WILL.

When in doubt I go back to chicken breast (cooked by me), raw veggies and raw fruits.... Gluten can cause so many "other" things" like fibromyalgia... like I have... RA-my mother.

#37 Rita L

Rita L

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 September 2014 - 02:20 PM

Your biopsy will come up negative. You HAVE to be actively eating a full gluten diet up to the day of the biopsy. Sorry.

Wow! No one has posted here in a while but I am overwhelmed by the experiences regarding DH, which I am 99% sure I have since I identify with almost everything on this forum. I have been itching insanely for 5 weeks. I have been strictly gluten free for almost 3 weeks but no relief. I have never heard of the iodine perpetuating the skin condition. I eat a lot of eggs and dairy and nuts. I am overwhelmed by the similarities in our ailment and also misdiagnosis'. I have not and probably will not get an intentine biopsy but I am scheduled for a skin biopsy next week. I have been packing my arms, shoulders and wrist in ice for about 5 years now. No topical creams work. Ever. Even a little. Nothing gives me relief but freezing my arms. I am exhausted and frankly depressed about it. Someone mentioned only eating meat, veg, and fruit. I guess I'll try that… hopefully before I go out of my mind. :(

I did my own self test for Celiac and then went to see a doctor. He said, "You don't need a test to tell you that you have Celiac. I'm telling you that you have it. Go home and eat gluten and then come back. But why? Why would you put that much pressure on yourself?" So... I didn't and haven,t regreted it once! Now with the DH, my other doctor agrees with me on it and prescribed Dapsone so I'm giving it a shot.She says also that a test can verify but I have ALL the symptoms and she feels the test is not neccessary. And yes it does suck to eat just meat (I usually go with chicken) fruit and veggies. BUT hey, it if make me feel better then I do it. With Celiac it takes 3 months or more to eliminate the gluten. I drink plenty of water after a cross contamination.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: