20 replies to this topic

#16 archaeo in FL

archaeo in FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:08 PM

I refused to eat at Chick-fil-a for this reason too, but they announced last week that they've stopped donating money to hate groups. http://www.nydailyne...ticle-1.1162936

It's a step forward at least!

It would be, but it's not entirely clear that it's not just trying to make up for what Cathy said (and says):
http://www.cnn.com/2...?iref=allsearch

It does appear that folks are treated relatively well as employees whatever their stance on the issue, or their own religious beliefs or sexuality, which is good, and is better than can be said for a lot of places...

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 04:17 PM

Ok...Let's get back to the topic of food court food. This isn't the place to debate politics or religion which is the direction this could be going. :blink:

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#18 wheeleezdryver

wheeleezdryver

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:12 PM

I've heard that at Arby's you can order the meat, without a bun. Supposedly they put it in a plastic container for you. But I don't know this for sure, as I haven't ordered anything from there for myself since before I went gluten free.

A couple of items I don't have problems w/ at our mall's food court: (I am not very sensitive to cc)
Drinks from Orange Juilous and A& W (as well as other drinks).
French fries & fry sauce from the great steak and potato company (I asked the manager once about other items, he told me the other sides & salads also do not contain wheat/ gluten-- the only thing that does is their sandwhiches (obviously)- but the only item of theirs that I have tried so far is the fries and fry sauce).

One place we do like to go for snacks is the Target snack bar. They have popcorn, nachos, the hot dog with no bun, chips, fries (they're baked), fresh fruit, smoothies, and even string cheese. Daughter even eats the salads there. They do contain croutons which are prepacked and sitting on the salad. Might not be safe for everyone but never caused her a problem.

I never knew the target snack bar had things like that I could eat. I've enver eaten there, so had no idea what they have, other than ice cream cones & the oh so yummy smelling popcorn (which now I know I can eat! Thank you!) will have to give them a try sometime!
Becky (me)-35yo; hypothyroid 8yrs (symptoms at least 1 yr prior); Plantar Fasciitis (PF) (tendonitis in foot) 4 yrs; ovary & softball size cyst removed Feb 2008; Sleep Apnea 3yrs; Dec 2008- realized wheat affects hormones-- went semi- gluten-free (aka, gluten lite!). Interstitial Cystitis (IC, aka painful bladder syndrome) (self dx. controlled by diet- can't have acidic foods/ drinks). July 2010-- realized there was more going on, was going to do the sensitivity/ Celiac testing, decided it wasn't worth it! Am now truely learning to live the gluten- free lifestyle!
My DH-38 yo; born w/ Spastic cerebral palsy. legally blind, uses wheelchair. back surgery Aug 2007, has continued back troubles.

#19 archaeo in FL

archaeo in FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 03:09 AM

I don't do dairy, but smoothie places and yogurt places are everywhere. I guess the potential for cc might be high, but seems it might be high in most food court-type places. I think most smoothie places - unless they're really busy - would be happy to wash out a blender really well for you. Then you could ask about the ingredients and could likely get something with just fruit, fruit juice, sugar if you want it, and yogurt or ice cream (or not!). Watch out for the supplements, though.

#20 cavernio

cavernio

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:21 AM

Where exactly are y'all getting your gluten free hot dogs minus bun from a food court???
I have a hard time getting gluten-free weiners from the grocery store.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#21 kareng

kareng

Be Royal

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,145 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 04:26 AM

Where exactly are y'all getting your gluten free hot dogs minus bun from a food court???
I have a hard time getting gluten-free weiners from the grocery store.

In the US, most hot dogs are gluten-free. I would say all hot dogs but someone will have found an off brand that had wheat in it.

LTES

"We've waited 29 years for this and not even a Giant can stand in our way." - Mayor Sly James

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: