10 replies to this topic

#1 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 01:16 PM

I got super sick yesterday. All I ate that was different were 3 things.At about 1:00. I had 2 Kinnickinick oreo cookies, gluten-free, then at about 4:45 I had a quaker rice cake that had the cheese powder on it. I also had a low fat Baby Bell Cheese. At 5:00 it all exploded and I took 7 imodium to make it stop. I had to drive my little one a half hour down the freeway a half hour later. We stopped once. It was miserable. Today I still haven't gone, but I'm not exploding. So what do you think it was? I hate not knowing. I'm thinking about returing the cheese and cookies.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:35 PM

I got super sick yesterday. All I ate that was different were 3 things.At about 1:00. I had 2 Kinnickinick oreo cookies, gluten-free, then at about 4:45 I had a quaker rice cake that had the cheese powder on it. I also had a low fat Baby Bell Cheese. At 5:00 it all exploded and I took 7 imodium to make it stop. I had to drive my little one a half hour down the freeway a half hour later. We stopped once. It was miserable. Today I still haven't gone, but I'm not exploding. So what do you think it was? I hate not knowing. I'm thinking about returing the cheese and cookies.

It might be the Quaker rice cakes. I got hit bad by those a few months back.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

#3 Juliebove

Juliebove

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,650 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 03:36 PM

I don't think all of the Quaker rice cakes are gluten-free. I can't say for sure since we never buy them. Used to be they were not but then they did come out with some gluten-free ones. I would check to see if yours say gluten-free on them.

#4 kareng

kareng

HO! HO! HO!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,314 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:21 PM

Looks like the large ones are gluten-free. Didn't check the small ones

http://www.quakeroat...te-cheddar.aspx

santa-dance.gif

Once again, we come to the Holiday Season, a deeply religious time that each of us observes, in his own way, by going to the mall of his choice. - Dave Barry

“The main reason Santa is so jolly is because he knows where all the bad girls live.”  - George Carlin

“One can never have enough socks," said Dumbledore. "Another Christmas has come and gone and I didn't get a single pair. People will insist on giving me books.”  - J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone

#5 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

The quaker bag says gluten free on it. Do you think there is something in the lowfat babybell or is there a fat or something I'm sensitive to in those cookies? Kinnikinnick doughnuts make me sick too. So I'm wondering if the same ingredient is in this kind of oreo like chocolate cookie. Anyone have some insight? Do you think the quaker gluten free cracker got cross contaminated somewhere? I'll stick with the plain ones I get and never get sick.

#6 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,768 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 08:51 PM

i'd say it was the cookies if their donuts have set you off before.

#7 dilettantesteph

dilettantesteph

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,035 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 04:33 AM

I try to only have one new thing per week so that I can know what got me. Based on my reading of others' reactions, I'd guess Quaker. I can't eat any of those.

#8 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:04 AM

If it's actually gluten that caused the reaction, Quaker would be my top and only suspect. Kinnikinnick is very dependable and the cheese is highly unlikely to come in contact with gluten.

If it was something else, who knows? You'd have to figure that one out.

richard

#9 Joe0123

Joe0123

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:31 AM

I'd say the Quaker rice cakes.

#10 Finally@45

Finally@45

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 11:07 AM

I vote for the rice cakes. I stopped buying them too.

(It would be nice to know if some companies take the time to read our discussions!)

Celiac & Mastocytosis

Follows a diet similar to the Paleo diet, minus high-histamine items such as

avocadoes, mangoes, papaya, berries, pork, farm-raised fish, spinach, and seeds.

No eggs or red meat either.

#11 mommyto2kids

mommyto2kids

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 06:58 PM

I agree with Richard that Kinnikinnick is super reliable. But something in the doughnuts makes me sick, perhaps not gluten. But it gives me the runs. So maybe that same ingredient was in the cookies. I've eaten these rice cakes before with out issue. There are so many ingredients that it is hard to believe that something in there did not make me sick. I can eat garlic in moveration, but even the onion powder has me wondering. Yes I need to stick to the only one new thing rule. I think someone else will finish the cheese and rice cakes. I returned the cookies. I'm baffled that I can eat the grahm Kinnikinnick cookies no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: