#46 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:52 AM

Really? None of us can know how someone actually feels
and you are just playing semantics here.

I have tried to help everyone see all sides and many of us have tried to help the OP figure out what reasonably may have made her ill so she could avoid it in the future. That's what motivates me to reply in threads, to try and help, not to attack or argue over how we "think" someone "may feel".

My advice is almost always: "if it makes you feel bad, don't do it anymore."

But, as another member said earlier in the thread (and I wish I had just exited when she did because it was very wise),

I tried my best ---and now, I'm done here. No point in belaboring it.

Best wishes to all.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"The strongest of all warriors are these two - time and patience." Leo Tolstoy

"If you want to lift yourself up, lift up someone else" Booker T. Washington

“If idiots could fly, the sky would be like an airport.”― Laura Davenport 

"Do or do not. There is no try. "-  Yoda.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.
I. Win. bliss-smiley-emoticon.gif

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#47 msmini14

msmini14

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 03:38 PM

Gemini and Irishheart. I did not respond to this post to stir up everyones opinions. I simply felt the need to stand up for someone who had feelings. She had valid feelings about having issues with the vapors. Who knows, maybe being around that aroma all day caused her to have a headache the following day. Regardless if she was right or wrong they were her feelings.
Please dont forget how it was for you going gluten-free years ago. Sometimes we have gotten so sick we grasp for straws and try to figure out what caused it. And like I said before any newbie reading this post could think, I can be affected by vapors so again I understand why people said this was a mental issue.
And I am not over sensitive. Trust me. It takes a lot for something or someone to offend me. I only stopped posting on this site because I dont feel the need for support anymore. I do however try to comment on things when people are in need of support. But I have been so busy I dont have the time to come here that often.
So, Gemini please dont jump to conclusions about my personality regarding being overly sensitive. You dont know me.
:) :)

Gluten Free going on 5 years and counting!

gluten-free is a life change and not a diet.

#48 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:10 PM

Irishheart. I did not respond to this post to stir up everyone’s opinions. I simply felt the need to stand up for someone who had feelings. She had valid feelings about having issues with the vapors. Who knows, maybe being around that aroma all day caused her to have a headache the following day. Regardless if she was right or wrong they were her feelings.
Please don’t forget how it was for you going gluten-free years ago. Sometimes we have gotten so sick we grasp for straws and try to figure out what caused it.

I ALWAYS stand up for people on this site. :o
Do you even know me?
Then you would know this for sure!

I validated her feelings, hon...over and over.

I said she had "real symptoms".. ..didn't I?
Please read what I said carefully.

The very reason why we are sick and grasp for "straws"-- is the very reason why we come to this site. TO GET REAL ANSWERS.

This is what she was given.

I have given her all the possible reasons why it happened so she could avoid it in the future and spare her this misery.

And to answer you--NO, I NEVER forget what this thing did to me because I suffer the consequences every single day.

I said I "was done" here on this thread, but when you question me and what I do on here because I DO care so much, well, I had to respond.

You also said:

"And like I said before any newbie reading this post could think, “I can be affected by vapors” so again I understand why people said this was a mental issue."

I am not quite sure what you mean here, hon so, please clarify ---

because NO ONE said it was a "mental issue".

This whole discussion has become negative and controversial--when all anyone tried to do was help.

"Life is not the way it's supposed to be. It's the way it is. The way we cope with it makes the difference." Virginia Satir

"LTES"  Gem 2014

Misdiagnosed for 25+ years; Finally Diagnosed with Celiac  11/01/10.  Double DQ2 genes. This thing tried to kill me. I view Celiac as a fire breathing dragon --and I have run my sword right through his throat.

#49 IrishHeart

IrishHeart

Warrior Princess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,558 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 04:25 PM

So, Gemini please dont jump to conclusions about my personality regarding being overly sensitive. You dont know me.

And, honestly, I do not think she was talking about you or your personality. Not at all.

I think you are misinterpreting and jumping to conclusions and not reading carefully. IMHO

But, I will let her respond.

"LTES"  Gem 2014

#50 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

My husband took up a new hobby, brewing beer. After he made it two different times, the next day I got sick. (I'm always sick the next day when I'm glutened.) He didn't believe me when I blamed it on the boiling brew. I volunteered to help at the fire department for their chicken bbq, and I was working in the kitchen with the boiling macaroni. Sure enough, next day I got sick. Even when he tried to make it when I wasn't home for a third time, I still got sick the next day. This tells me I've moved into the super sensitive arena. But I have to believe that's because I've done such a good job of avoiding gluten, that when I get a little bit, I'm not used to it and react stronger. So be aware of vapors!!!

It's been a long thread and some discussions went astray .. Have you reached a conclusion? Have you found an answer? :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#51 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 11:56 AM

Gemini and Irishheart. I did not respond to this post to stir up everyones opinions. I simply felt the need to stand up for someone who had feelings. She had valid feelings about having issues with the vapors. Who knows, maybe being around that aroma all day caused her to have a headache the following day. Regardless if she was right or wrong they were her feelings.
Please dont forget how it was for you going gluten-free years ago. Sometimes we have gotten so sick we grasp for straws and try to figure out what caused it. And like I said before any newbie reading this post could think, I can be affected by vapors so again I understand why people said this was a mental issue.
And I am not over sensitive. Trust me. It takes a lot for something or someone to offend me. I only stopped posting on this site because I dont feel the need for support anymore. I do however try to comment on things when people are in need of support. But I have been so busy I dont have the time to come here that often.

Irish put everything out in her usual excellent style and I am not going to continue beating a dead horse. There was absolutely nothing offensive about the advice given the OP regarding vapor glutening. It was one little word, which has valid medical meaning, and that was psychosomatic. This type of reaction is real but they are not a gluten reaction. I have had psychosomatic reactions and so haven't many other Celiacs. I would highly encourage you and all those who think you can be glutened by vapors to read Dr. Peter Green's book: Celiac Disease: The Hidden Epidemic, from cover to cover. It has a wealth of information on how this disease works and it ought to be required reading, judging from some of the posts I have read on this forum. Validity of feelings has nothing to do with giving the correct information on a Celiac question. No one has invalidated anyone, just offered up correct information to someone who is new to this. I can't help it if people don't like the answer to their question.

Please read the book because I am done trying to explain this to people. As Dr. Green goes much deeper into how the Celiac reaction initiates, his explanation is much better than mine! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: