8 replies to this topic

#1 Skittles

Skittles

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:34 PM

Hello, I am 25 years old and do not have any children. I like to have drinks with my friends on occasion. Vodka has always been my drink of choice. I know that some vodkas are distilled with wheat so I obviously stay away from them. Since i've been diagnosed I have been drinking corn distilled vodkas. I do have sensitivity to corn but was still able to drink this vodka. However I have noticed lately that I have been having symptoms similar to gluten or my sensitivities when drinking. So I am just trying to figure out what I can drink. I have a problem with gluten, potatos, and corn. What alcohol can I drink? Keep in mind that I live in a small town and options that may be available in a big city may not be available here.
I don't drink all of the time but when there is a party going on I already have enough problems not being able to eat any of the food! lol I would like to be able to have a couple drinks and relax!
Let me know what you think :)
Diagnosed with celiac by blood test in the beginning of April 2012 and confirmed with endoscopy April 20th 2012.
Gluten free since May 2012 (for 5 months.. relapsed for about a month and have been gluten free again since Nov 2012)
Corn & corn syrup free since May 2012
Dairy limited since Aug 2012
Nightshades limited since Aug 2012

Fructose limited since Nov 2012

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,536 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 07:44 PM

Most people can drink distilled alcohol, even when based on wheat, rye or barley.

richard

#3 kristenloeh

kristenloeh

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 08:08 PM

Even though they are made from wheat, they are distilled, and they distillation process takes all the gluten out of the alcohol. This is of course only for hard alcohol, not beer. You may just not react well to alcohol in general. I am also 25 years old and have just figured out that I am sensitive to sulfates, so I can't drink wine or cider now. I also make sure to stay away from cheap liquors, no well liquors at all. The lowest quality I go with is Smirnoff. I still get headaches, but not as much. I just may have a problem with alcohol in general, (and no, not in the alcoholic way, lol). All I can say is process of elimination.

Diagnosed Celiac 04.2012
Gluten-Free 04.2012

Diagnosed Pituitary Prolactinoma 12.2012

Low Cortisol/Possible Addison's Disease 02.2013

Maybe one day I will feel "normal" again. <3

#4 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:51 PM

There are sugarcane based vodkas like Ciroc.

Rum is sugarcane based. Be careful of flavored ones.

I like hard apple or pear cider - Wyder's or Strongbow are my favorites. Hornsby's wasn't considered gluten-free but for some reason I think that has changed? Look it up.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#5 Jestgar

Jestgar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,755 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 05:15 AM

Good tequila is made from agave.
"But then, in all honesty, if scientists don't play god, who will?"
- James Watson

My sources are unreliable, but their information is fascinating.
- Ashleigh Brilliant

Leap, and the net will appear.

#6 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 08:23 AM

Good tequila is made from agave.

Yum, good tequila!
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#7 cavernio

cavernio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 09:51 AM

I personally don't think that distilled alcohols are safe. Every different brand of vodka tastes different because of what's in there besides just the alcohol and water, even while they're all distilled. Hard alcohols do get distilled, but they get stuff added back into them, stuff which could be separated off if they wanted to, but often they don't because it's part of the flavor of that particular drink. I fully get that distillation, if done properly, would remove anything remotely resembling gluten. But vodka isn't distilled ethanol you'd use in a lab, and neither is any other commerical drinking alcohol.

I haven't sorted it all out yet, but I seem to only get sick when I drink out, mainly feels like a hangover even though I'll have not had much. And I drink at home still without any unexpected reactions. Currently I think it's CC. I'm not sure if bartenders rinse the shot glass they use for measuring alcohol. I certainly don't recall ever seeing anyone rinsing anything. Of course I've also stopped drinking all gluten-sourced hard alcohols, mainly because I've just heard of too many people having reactions to them, so I don't even have that to go by.
diagnosed Jan 2012, bloodwork only
June 2012 positive visual of celiac disease from gastroscopy

#8 bartfull

bartfull

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,329 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 10:05 AM

If your drink is mixed with any kind of soda at a bar, they get that soda from the "gun". All of the different sodas go through the same lines so if any of them are unsafe, all of them are CC'd.

I don't even know if sodas have gluten because I don't drink soda - first of all because I don't like them, and second of all because they are all sweetened with high frutose corn syrup. I have problems with corn anyway, and high fructose corn syrup is bad for anyone in my opinion.

gluten-free since June, 2011

Can't eat soy, corn, or foods high in salicylates.

Nightshades now seem to bother me too.

BUT I CAN STILL PLAY MY GUITAR AND THAT"S ALL THAT MATTERS!

#9 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,935 posts

Posted 16 September 2012 - 05:49 PM

I'm not a drinker but I too react to sulphites. Good news is there are wines made without sulphites.. Frey Vineyards is one but many others...Ciroc vodka is very good, mixed with white grape juice.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: