3 replies to this topic

#1 gluten-is-kryptonite

gluten-is-kryptonite

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:48 AM

I am still pretty new here. Diagnosed 4 months ago. Felt better pretty quickly on the Gluten-Free diet but still had "reactions". I found out theses reactions were due to leaky gut. Anyhow my first 3 months were pretty up and down but the 4th month was sheer heaven - until a week ago. I had french fries that were fried in the same oil as gluten foods. I knew this was an experiment- but I am not feeling better a week later. It must have really inflamed my gut. I am really upset about this and have no energy to do anything. I feel like I have a flu like symptoms. Just days before I was on top of the world at a race- got on the podium, had a major breakthrough and set a new personal best. I know I am on the right track overall but just feel like I took a huge step backwards. I went from that to not enough energy to get out of bed.

For the leaky gut I am taking-

glutamine
high quality fish oil
turmeric (just started)
culturelle
aloe vera juice
b complex
glutathione
muiltivite w/ iron

what am i missing? I think the autoimmune reaction from food leaking out of the gut is attacking my thyroid (at one point had a mis-diagnosis of hypothroid). My thyroid was a bit low but was not the cause - celiac is the cause of all this. should I be adding something for my thyroid?

Just want to feel better. I know I'm rambling but I can't talk about this stuff with people who don't understand and I know how good it feels when things are going well (didn't know what that felt liek until about a month ago). I was undiagnosed for many years.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:50 PM

Reactions for some people can last longer than a week; next time you are tempted to live dangerously realize that you may suffer from it for a long time. There is nothing like experience to learn from.

Did you have a full thyroid work-up or just TSH, free T3 and T4, or maybe just TSH? Doctors are often reluctant to do full thyroid testing.

One thing you might add to your supplement regimen are some digestive enzymes to help break down your food. Celiac can negatively impact the ability of the pancreas to produce enough enzymes.

Hope you are feeling better soon and that you have learned the cross-contamination lesson ;)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 12:56 PM

When I'm glutened sometimes I must lay off the vitamins a while. Probiotics, enzymes yes. Vitamins, D's, iron - no.

Just a thought. Gives me nausea and makes me feel gross and exhausted. When my stomach settles down I start them back up.

Did they test you for Hashimotos? if you had a high tsh and are Hashis gluten-free may help but I doubt it will fix it, judging by others experiences (and mine). If your thyroid function has degraded to a certain point you need thyroid replacement. Hypothyroidism can cause extreme exhaustion, and it can be barely out of whack and give you terrible symptoms.

I've been glutened about 4 times since going gluten-free (that I know of). One time it set off an AI attack that lasted 2 months. I figured out (because my seasonal allergies got bad during this time) that antihistimines helped snuff down the ai attack. I took 1 children's Claritin every day, then every other day for a few months. It really helped. My ND wasn't thrilled with my solution but I weaned off them.

My other attacks have lasted a few weeks.

Btw blood work during that ai attack supported the ai attack theory. My TPO antibodies went up, tsh went sky high, crp elevated...I was a mess. Just had new blood work done and will find out results next week.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#4 eatmeat4good

eatmeat4good

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,699 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 03:06 PM

Yeah learning about cross-contamination is a hard lesson.
I tested french fries, then kissing a gluten eater, then products made on shared lines but with no gluten ingredients. Ugh to all of them. The reaction lasts weeks and it is hard to get out of bed and I can't wait to get back into it. I can't take all my vitamins either when healing. After a week or two I can.

I hope your reaction doesn't last long and you can stay gluten free.
Healing is a matter of time, but it is sometimes also a matter of opportunity.
--Hippocrates

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: