This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

I"ve About Had Enough Of This !

ncdave

ncdave Apprentice

Why can"t i eat anything but these foods?

baked chicken wings

baked potatoes, white an sweet

delmonte garden peas

baked fish

country crock original butter

enjoy life chocklate chips

bananas

cooked apples

creamed coconut

honey

anything else makes me just as sick as bread, today i tried hunts ketchup. 1 teaspoon with a plate of hashbrowns. 10 hours later i"m so sick again. I have stuck with my diet above an been doing good for the last couple weeks. I"ve been trying my best to be gluten free for the last 9 months, why do i get so sick from things that do not contain gluten? Is it leaky gut? Will it ever be over? I know i was in very bad shape, but its been 9 months. I"m so tired of this, sorry for the rant. I"LL keep my head up at least it will be over again in 4-6 days. Or at least most of it will.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

Take another look at everything for CC issues. Plus nine moonths even tho it seems long is not for healing the intestinal tract..Yes, some heal faster than others.And, you may be having issues with other foods that don't contain gluten ie: nightshades, soy, dairy,corn & ect. As we heal I think many for the first time may become more aware of their own body & with this process find out other items also have caused problems but they just never paid alot of attention before the celiac dx's...

Your list of foods you can have would seem like heaven for some who can only eat three things...A suggestion would be go as plain & simple as you can ...

Also do you have pets? Feed them gluten feed?.. Lots of places to find gluten in the home...

Gluten can be hidden in many things....

Don't give up , remember celiac didn't happen overnight & healing will not either....

feel better soon..

rosetapper23 Explorer

I would suggest taking L-Glutamine--it helps heal the gut...and you may begin to feel better sooner.

ncdave Apprentice

I am very fortuite to have a list like i do, i"ve been sick many, many times in the last 9 months to build that list. I rembember when my 3 items were baked potatoes, garden peas and water. Fun times those were!!! I"m pretty good with the cc, food wise the home is gluten-free. My latest findings were wild bird seed and hair spray both of which contain wheat!

I posted right before going to bed, i should have just gone to bed. I was frustrated, was hoping to use a tomato product for C an get off miralax.

Today i will try an research L-glutamine, and N-acetyl glucosamine to see which i need to start taking, they may be the same thing i"ll have to check them out. I"ll get one or the other sounds like they may help an i need all the help i can get!

The support this forum offers helps me more than anything, thanks

If anyone needs a migrain, i have one i"m trying to get rid of this morning!!

cap6 Enthusiast

Think of your gut as still raw and healing. It can take a long time to heal. Try to stick with very basic foods. When eating a processed food (canned item, snack food etc) the more ingredients listed on the package the more trouble for your still sick gut.

A good probiotic, pure aloe (liquid not gel), L-glutamine as suggested as some good things to help heal.

As mamaw mentioned, as we heal we become aware of other food items that bother us that we weren't previously aware of. Soy became a big issue for me. Now at 2+ years i can eat it again in small amounts. Your limited diet is not forever, it just seems like it. As you heal you may be able to add items (not gluen!) back in like the soy, corn etc.

ncdave Apprentice

I know i can"t have dairy, so lets look at my list cause thats all i eat.

baked chicken wings all i add is a little salt,

baked potatoes, white an sweet remove the white potatoes(nightshades)sweet potatoes only

del monte garden peas peas,water,sugar,salt. that should be ok

baked fish cooked on a grill with olive oil an salt

country crock original butter this may be the problem, soy, whey, i need a

replacement for the butter,

I"LL check into the smart squeez butter

enjoy life chocklate chips there dairy,soy,nut,and gluten free.

bananas it"s a banana what could be wrong with a banana

cooked apples i add butter, cinnamon, a touch of sugar

creamed coconut organic, nothing but coconut

honey pure honey

By removing white potatoes an changing butter i would be, gluten,dairy,soy,and nightshade free. Maby soy or nightshades are causing problems, i"ll get rid of both of them an see what happens.

rosetapper23 Explorer

No, the two products are quite different--it's L-Glutamine that you need, not the other.

Regarding the diet, only a couple of things came to mind: Has the grill been completely cleaned of all past gluten? Some marinades include soy sauce and other sources of gluten and can remain on the grill. Also, with regard to the salt, you may be sensitive to iodine as a number of us are. Just check to see if you're using non-iodized or iodized salt.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ncdave Apprentice

rose,

My grill has never had gluten or any maranade on it, it was purchesed just for gluten free cooking. The salt is morton no iodide. I got lucky on the salt i never knew. mushroom recommended the N-acetyl glusamine in another thread. I found this artical about both. Please have a look, i will pm mushroom an maby they can take a look also.

Open Original Shared Link

Takala Enthusiast

Using logic, if you introduce a food into your "safe" list and then get sick, it is that food which you should be avoiding.

I've looked online for what the ingredients list is for Hunt's ketchup, and they've been tinkering with their formula a lot, switching from High Fructose Corn Syrup to sugar, back to High Fructose Corn Syrup again. Open Original Shared Link As far as I can tell, Hunt's ketchup contains the ambiguous "natural flavors" which can be anything, plus they make no claim to be gluten free, other than they are claiming the distillation process takes the gluten out of any vinegar they would use. I would prefer that the companies claiming their distilled vinegars are gluten free, start with a gluten free item to be making the vinegar out of, such as grapes, apples, or corn. But I'm more suspicious of the "natural flavorings" loophole.

Regular Heinz ketchup does have a gluten free label, and Kraft is better at disclosing ingredients. I've gotten mild reactions from other supposedly "all natural" condiments with a more prominent gluten free label. I don't know, short of actually testing a new bottle or jar of ketchup or mustard, how bad the contamination is, but I can tell that any company that keeps switching ingredients back and forth does not have the gluten free status high on their list of priorities for a sensitive person. I've been disappointed in the past 2 years seeing several condiments prominently labeled gluten free switch from apple vinegar to anonymous "distilled vinegar."

If you want a sort of piquant sour taste on your hash browns, try plain pure apple cider vinegar sprinkled on them. Or slice up a tomato and see if you can eat that, to test for nightshades. But it's no use blaming what was a safe food, like a potato, when it could have been the wrong brand of ketchup.

Can you eat olive oil ? That is a good butter substitute. You can also mix it half and half with coconut oil, and keep it in the refrigerator as a sort of spread.

That Country Crock margarine might taste good ( I used to love the stuff, having been raised on margarine) but in terms of nutrition, it is horrible. Besides the soybean oil, it has cottonseed oil in it, and cotton seed is not grown as to having the care that regular vegetables do in terms of pesticide application, because it is not classed as a human foodstuff. It is also not dairy free. If you have a problem with all dairy, it might be better to try to avoid it for a while, then, if you feel better, you can try a different type of dairy free margarine, such as the Earth Balance. If you can tolerate small amounts of dairy fat, you might be better off with real butter, which is mostly fat and non lactose.

ncdave Apprentice

When i"m not sick i really still don"t feel well, if you know what i mean. I allways have heart pounding, dizzyness vertigo, weak musles, joint pain (shoulders,elbows,knees) migrain headaches, toes feel numb an swolen but there not really they just feel like that, i suspect nerve damage. These symptoms get a lot worse after gluten an i get a few other symptoms to go along with those!

I"m not blaming the potato at all, i eat about 10 lbs of them a week !! But why not give the nightshade a break for a month an see if it helps? I don"t have to have ketchup, i haven"t had it in a couple years anyway an it really didn"t taste like it used to.

I just had a sweet potato for breakfast, the olive oil (which i have no problem with) didn"t really do anything for it. I just added a little cinimon an sugar, no butter. speaking of butter i will probally miss that, i eat a lot of butter on my potatoes. I looked for dairy,soy,corn free butter, no luck yet. I got very sick nov of 2010 from hushpuppies so i"m scared of corn.

My number one concern right now is getting well, so i"ll give the butter an nightshade a break for a month an see if it helps.

The way i look at it is, if i can get well, it sure would be a lot more simple to figure out what makes me sick.

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I think that coconut oil is great with sweet potato.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Dave,

If you can find Hain brand Safflower oil mayo that might be good for your meals. It's the only mayo I know that doesn't have either soy or potato in it. Hellman makes a canola oil mayo but it has potato last I checked.

I like to make soup with sweet potatoes. They get soft and you can stir them up to make a thick soup. Makes for a rich, creamy soup base. An hour in a pressure cooker with some meat and other veggies and stir to make soup. Good stuff!

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Ghee is casein and lactose free. And since it's butter (without the casein and lactose).it tastes like butter.

mushroom Proficient

Also Earth Balance makes a soy-free spread - you have to look for the tub with the red writing on it. :)

rosetapper23 Explorer

OMG! You're experiencing very obvious nutritional deficiencies! It sounds as though you're low in B vitamins and perhaps iron. Is it possible to have your vitamin and mineral levels tested right away? If not, I would recommend Coenzyme Vitamin B Complex by Country Life as well as a sublingual Vitamin B12 (1,000-3,000 mcg daily). Your doctor should definitely check levels for all the B vitamins, Vitamin D, iron, magnesium, zinc and manganese--at the very least. It sounds as though you may be low in manganese and magnesium, too.

If you have a doctor and insurance, please don't delay in being tested. If you don't have insurance and can't afford to have the testing done, I would suggest the above B Vitamin complex, sublingual Vitamin B, and low doses of the other vitamins and minerals I mentioned. Believe me--you'll start feeling like a new person--no joint or muscle pain, no headaches, etc. As for the zinc and manganese, purchase the chelated forms (important!), and the magnesium brands that are easiest on our digestive systems include Bluebonnet and Nature's Way. Once you start feeling better, you can cut back on the zinc, but if you prefer to continue taking it, add copper to the mix.

I should have mentioned nutritional deficiencies to you in my first reply, since it's obvious from your diet that you are NOT getting the vitamins and minerals you need. This isn't your fault--the diet is a necessity. However, please supplement your diet with the above nutrients (if you can't get tested right away). Your body is screaming for nutrition.

ncdave Apprentice

I really messed up with the ketchup, this is not leaky gut from tomatoes or vinigar. This is full blown gluttening. I am so sick, i call them panic attacks but its where you get a little dizzy feeling, sit down break out in a sweat till your drinched with water, my vision goes to seeing nothing but white. After about 15 mins it starts to ease off but takes about half hour to 45 mins to stand up again. At that point i get bad chills usually wrap up in seversl blankets an go to sleep. I havent had one in about 4-5 months till today. Besides the p attacks,I can feel my heart beating in my ear drums, neck,stomach. When i have the p attacks i allways feel like i have to poop today was the first time i noticed sharp stomach cramps also. I just woke up, now i have chills an hot spells, if i was female i would call them hot flashes. All i can type right now, i"ll be back. going to be a long week!!!!!!!!!!!!

ncdave Apprentice

You all know the symptoms, no need in me typing that.

No more hair brain ideas from me!

Total change of plans, i will go back to my red potatoes, country crock, garden peas,water those allways get me well. Even though the butter contains whey,and citric acid which i have problems with, it must be low amounts because it doesn"t seem to bother me. Not changing anything till i get better, then i"ll try one of the butter suggestions.

I had my b12 and vit d checked 9 months ago.Doc said b-12 was fine an vit d was border line. I chose nature made multi for him 50+. I been taking them for 259 days now. There a hard pill that i"m not really sure even dissolve much less get assorbed in my system.

I"ll go back to the clinic tuesday an i"ll take what rose told me to be checked for. The doc there is very nice he"ll check for me. He just doesen"t know what else to do with me. He did recommend a gi but funds don"t allow that right now. Is there anything else i should have him check for? thyorod?

Thanks so much for all the butter ideas, i will try changing butter once i feel better.

And Thanks so much for all your replys, there a huge inspration!!!!! david

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Dave even though your doctor said your B12 levels were fine 9 months ago it would still be a good idea to get some sublingual B12. It is very important that it be sublingual as your damaged intestines won't be able to absorb a swallowed tablet. You do sound like it might help a great deal. Did you get your actual numbers from the doctor? Some consider anything over 250 to be fine. The numbers should be at least 500 from newer research. Also your numbers may read higher than they actually are if you are taking a supplement with folic acid and it can take some time for the numbers to drop after your body stops being able to utilize it.

I agree with the previous poster who advised Heinz ketchup. The vinegar in that is not distilled from a gluten grain. A few of us do react to distilled gluten, I am one of them, and that is the brand I use. If you have a Wegmans close by they will not label anything with distilled gluten as gluten free. A big help for me cause I do like pickles.

I do hope you are feeling better soon.

ncdave Apprentice

Raven i didn"t get the numbers. The clinic is only open on tuesdays, it would be 6 days to get tested an then another 7 days to get results. I think i should go ahead an order the vitimans rose recommended, i would have them in a couple days an they cost less than gas to go to the clinic twice. Could you please check these an make sure that i picked the right ones before i order,

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Raven i didn"t get the numbers. The clinic is only open on tuesdays, it would be 6 days to get tested an then another 7 days to get results. I think i should go ahead an order the vitimans rose recommended, i would have them in a couple days an they cost less than gas to go to the clinic twice. Could you please check these an make sure that i picked the right ones before i order,

They look good to me and hopefully Rose will reply also. One thing I would suggest is to add them in one at a time for 4 or 5 days starting with the B12. That way if you do have an adverse reaction to any of the ingredients it would be easier to pinpoint which one was causeing an issue. I don't anticipate that there will be any problems with any of them but you never know.

ncdave Apprentice

Well I"m about to get back to normal over here. My vitimans came yesterday, got started on a couple of those. The B 12 taste like a sweet tart, mmmmmmmmmm i"ll enjoy those. I have not had any butter this past week, been using olive oil instead. To my surprise i don"t miss the butter yet. If an when i do i"ll try the earth balance. I also saw the coconut oil. Hope everyone has a great day!!

rosetapper23 Explorer

Way to go! Hope you start feeling better soon!

archaeo in FL Apprentice

ncdave, do please visit a doctor to review any vitamin deficiencies, but please also note that iodine is added to salt for a reason - it is essential for the human body to process thyroid hormones. Not getting enough iodine can cause a long list of really problematic health issues including cretinism and goiter (and many less extreme problems). I'm not sure what folks do who, as rosetrapper23 indicates, cannot tolerate it.

ncdave Apprentice

The country life coenzyme B-complex made me feel like i been glutened. Woke up with a terable headache, D, cramps an lots of gas. Does that sound like what 100mg of soy would do?

I"ll get tested for vitimans, seems i would need to be off of them for a period before being tested. Is that correct an how long?

I"ll continue to add one vitiman a day an try these for a couple weeks. Then if i need to, i could take a break an get tested. Thoughts please

mushroom Proficient

I think if I were you Dave, I would just go ahead and get the tests. If your levels are okay with the supplementation then keep on with the supplements. If they are not you will need to increase and your doctor can help with this..

And yes, 100mg of soy would do that to me :unsure:

Archived