7 replies to this topic

#1 sora

sora

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 04:11 AM

A friend who is gluten intolerant is looking to buy a bread machine to make her own gluten-free bread.
Which do you like best and why? What should she look for in a gluten-free machine?
Thanks for your replies.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

Ah, but I was so much older then, Im younger than that now.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Yoshi

Yoshi

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:06 PM

A friend who is gluten intolerant is looking to buy a bread machine to make her own gluten-free bread.
Which do you like best and why? What should she look for in a gluten-free machine?
Thanks for your replies.

I like Cuisinart. It has a gluten-free cycle and isn't too expensive.
Handle stress like a dog: If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

#3 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:00 PM

I like Zojirushi because they are dependable, consistently reliable and last a long time. But they are expensive. I see they have a newer model with a glutenfree setting but it is about $250. I still use the one I have had which is programmable and I program in the rise, knead and bake times. But never buy the smaller Mini Zojirushi machine for gluten free bread...it is meant as a spacesaver, has too tall a pan and only one paddle and doesn't stir well.

Your friend should look for one making sure it has a glutenfree setting, 2 paddles, makes a 1 and 1/2 to 2 lb. bread and has a horizontal rectangular shaped pan.

#4 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Thank you, I will pass the info on.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

#5 tctwhite

tctwhite

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 03:31 AM

I have a Sunbeam bread machine and just use the regular bread cycle. Its a bit older and doesn't have a gluten-free cycle.(someone who had one that never used it gave it to me) Ive also read where you can use a rapid cycle because gluten-free bread doesn't need to rise as much as a regular bread loaf. I haven't tried that yet though because Ive had much success with the regular bread cycle. The only downfall to that is it takes 3 hours and you really need to be there when it finishes. gluten-free bread cannot sit in the machine to cool because it will get soggy.
Diagnosed with: Fibromyalgia, IBS, Chronic Fatigue, Chronic Gastritis, Asthma, Depression, Anxiety, severe allergies, and Im sure Im leaving out something else.
Biopsy 7/2012 was a bust as the Dr didn't test for Celiac.
Gluten Free 8/7/2012

#6 SensitiveMe

SensitiveMe

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 07:22 PM

It is true you can use a regular bread setting. I did it for quite some time before I ended programming in my own settings. And what a big difference my own settings made in how the bread turned out and it takes an hour less time. I enjoy my bread now as it is more like bread should be. The regular setting made the bread too compact and tougher and dry and it would fall apart if I made the slices too thin. Quick cycles can also be used but the baking time may not be long enough and you may have to finish cooking the bread more by placing it in the oven for a few minutes.

Glutenfree bread needs only one knead cycle and only one rise cycle and usually an hour baking cycle. I know there are several types of machines out there these days with glutenfree settings and that is why I recommended it for purchasing a new breadmaker. A programmable bread machine would certainly be a fine choice also but you would have to program in the settings yourself and I thought since there are now machines out there with glutenfree settings it would be a lot easier just to get one of them.

In my days of making regular wheat bread I went through 3 different models before I ended up getting a Zojirushi which I still have 10 years later. This thing really takes a licking and keeps on ticking. :)

#7 jage

jage

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 02:59 PM

Which do you like best?

Sanyo ECJ-F50S

and why?

It was a gift!

As non-bakers it's been great for bread and to rise my pretzel dough. Also doubles as a rice cooker and is far better than our past "cheap" rice cookers.

#8 sora

sora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:46 PM

Thanks everyone for your reply's. I think she is leaning towards a Kitchen Aid Mixer but I have passed on the info.

Wheat Allergy

Chemical (scent) Allergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: