#1 BRCoats

BRCoats

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 06:31 PM

Hi all,

I've been having somewhat foul, but mostly sweet smelling urine lately....but mostly in the a.m. I did a google search and found out that it is related (or could be) to diabetes. I have gastroparesis, and polycystic ovarian disease....both of which have been linked to diabetes. I have been told in the past that I probably don't have it...but the sweet smelling urine kinda has me worried. And I basically have been reduced to eatine meat, cheese, Medallion white corn chips, soy milk, and chocolate. That is ALL that is agreeing with my stupid stomach. :angry:

Do you think I ought to be seen for this? I don't know if the sweet smell has to be frequent to be a problem, or since it's only the first part of the day it's not really a problem. "Funny" that I'm usually sickest in the a.m. though......and ever since I got the gp and celiac, I guzzle water like crazy. Me thinks something's funky.....

All opinions welcome. B)

~Brenda
~Brenda

Celiac, gastroparesis, PCOD, heart problems, pacemaker.

Diagnosed 7-12-04 via bloodwork. Never had a biopsy, doc didn't think it was necessary (said I would know just by going gluten-free).

gluten-free two weeks after diagnosis (and my last bag of Oreos). :-)

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Eliza13

Eliza13

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:59 PM

Hey,

I also have PCOS....and I pee alot when I eat gluten. I have not been diagnosed with diabetes, but the thought has crossed my mind that I may eventually get it. It is really interesting to read about clusters of diseases that co-occur with celiac, but even more interesting to hear people actually demonstrate this. Makes it all seem even more real than it already is.

:)
Diagnosed by my doctor on the basis of symptoms only (May 2005). My symptoms include:

-amenorhea (all my life)
-high prolactin levels
-major bloating ("Are you pregnant?")
-swollen ankles
-possible DH: had the rash on my elbows and scalp (gone now)
-joint pain
-childhood arthritis
-all dairy allergy
-dry skin
-fat in stool sample (no connection was made at the time...I was being tested for something else...When the doctor told me of the fat I replied by saying: "I eat alot of olive oil". DUH!!!!)
-mother is allergic to wheat
-ravenous appetite: I eat for 5 people
-light coloured stool
-pass stool 7 times a day sometimes
-hemorrhoids
-get the hiccups alot (not sure if this is related)
-some reflux

I'm sure there are more that I don't recall at the moment. SIGH.

#3 brdbntL

brdbntL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:47 AM

Please go get checked for diabetes. My daughter has both type 1 and Celiac (we only found out about celiac through testing because of diabetes). I didn't realize my daughter was diabetic until we ended up in the ER. I am not trying to scare you, but please go get checked.
Laura

#4 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:24 AM

Excessive thirst is also a major symptom of diabetes. Combined with sweet smelling urine, it is very likely that, like me, you have diabetes. Type 1 diabetes and celiac disease are both genetically influenced autoimmune diseases which often occur together. Please, get yourself tested, Brenda. It is a simple test to see if there is glucose in your urine, or excessive glucose in your blood.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#5 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:45 PM

Excessive thirst is also a major symptom of diabetes. Combined with sweet smelling urine, it is very likely that, like me, you have diabetes. Type 1 diabetes and celiac disease are both genetically influenced autoimmune diseases which often occur together. Please, get yourself tested, Brenda. It is a simple test to see if there is glucose in your urine, or excessive glucose in your blood.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah....and I have mentioned the dry mouth feeling/guzzling water thing to a lot of docs and none of them even blinked. UGH!!! Well...I have a doctor in my old home town that I KNOW will test me. And I am going over there (it's six hours away) in October. So I will have him test me then....unless you guys think it's more urgent than that. Otherwise, I could call and have a phone consult and get tested asap. ??

Are they going to make me drink that syrupy stuff?? Is it even gluten free?? Or will they just test my blood and/or urine?? I really don't want to fast and drink that stuff....but I would if I had to. Just wondering if I can chicken out a little. :)

Thanks for your help!!! I feel better about asking for the test now. Oh...and btw, my grandmother has diabetes, she lost an ovary due to cysts, and her mother had diabetes. So...it definitely runs in my family. Oh, and my brother was diagnosed as "borderline"....whatever that means. :rolleyes:

~Brenda
~Brenda

Diagnosed 7-12-04 via bloodwork. Never had a biopsy, doc didn't think it was necessary (said I would know just by going gluten-free).

#6 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:47 PM

Thanks for your help!!! I feel better about asking for the test now. Oh...and btw, my grandmother has diabetes, she lost an ovary due to cysts, and her mother had diabetes. So...it definitely runs in my family. Oh, and my brother was diagnosed as "borderline"....whatever that means.  :rolleyes:

~Brenda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Uhhh...by "lost" an ovary, I mean that it was taken out surgically. HAHA!! That is what she says...."I lost an ovary"....so I was just relaying that. :lol:

~Brenda
~Brenda

#7 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 03:14 PM

Another thing you can consider, if you are a do it yourself type, is buy your own blood test kit and check yourself out. I bought one because I was having a bunch of hypoglycemia symptoms but was chicken about doing that glucose test, too. Sounds awful. Anyway, what I did was buy a Walgreen's store brand one - it was about $15, and some test strips and then spent two days where I was testing myself regularly throughout the day (like ever 15-30 mins) and kept a food journal at the same time. I ate normally. I could see my blood sugar climb and then after a while fall and see what foods made it go higher and what didn't affect it much. This became a really helpful tool for me when I was having a really hard time.

These days I don't use it very much, though I did buy a nicer model (one that takes less blood) and I still use it when I'm feeling out of sorts and can't figure out what's going on. It's good practice, too. Nothing like quantitative evidence to back up what you're feeling. I confirmed my belief that I am hypoglycemic (and was able to prove it to my doctor - they don't usually put much stock in hypoglycemic without diabetes) and do something about it.

For example, I saw how far down my blood sugar would fall after drinking alcohol, and now I no longer drink. It's not worth making yourself sick when you don't have to. Every so often I check now because I eat some more refined carbs than I used to but I never go above the normal range, and still tend to go too low at times.

It was more than worth the $$ for me to go out and do this.

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#8 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:44 PM

Oh my goodness, Stephanie!!! I had no idea you could go out and buy that!! Are they really accurate? Has anyone else done this?? :huh:

No need for me to keep a journal. I eat the same things every day! :angry: So they give you enough materials to test that much? Every 15 - 30 minutes is a lot. I am definitely a do it yourself person, especially since money is LOW right now. What brands did you get? And which one did you like better??

Thanks Stephanie. I really appreciate it! :D

~Brenda
~Brenda

#9 Claire

Claire

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 05:57 PM

Hi all,

Do you think I ought to be seen for this? I don't know if the sweet smell has to be frequent to be a problem, or since it's only the first part of the day it's not really a problem. "Funny" that I'm usually sickest in the a.m. though......and ever since I got the gp and celiac, I guzzle water like crazy. Me thinks something's funky.....

All opinions welcome.  B)

~Brenda

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Have you added any new vitamins or herbal supplements? This can cause a change in urine odor - usually just once a day. Claire

#10 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:02 PM

Have you added any new vitamins or herbal supplements? This can cause a change in urine odor - usually just once a day.    Claire

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope....nothing new at all. :o

~Brenda
~Brenda

#11 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:20 PM

Brenda, the glucose tolerance test is just one way to diagnose diabetes. The oral glucose is gluten free, but loaded with glucose.

Another accepted method of determining diabetes is to measure fasting blood sugar (i.e. first thing in the morning before any food or beverage) being above a threshold level more than once. I am in Canada where we use metric units, and fasting sugar above 7.0 mmol on more that one occasion is now considered diagnostic (it used to be 7.5). The US uses a different scale and I am not sure of the conversion, but I think the number is around 100 whatevers.

Blood glucose meters can be purchased at most pharmacies, and the test strips (which are specific to the meter used) are widely available. In Canada, they cost about 90 Canadian Dollars for 100 strips (all brands are similar in cost), and my health insurance pays 90% of the cost. They are pretty accurate--they have to be since people like me use the reading to determine the required insulin dose at mealtime.

If you have type 1 diabetes and it is not treated, an emergency room visit due to diabetic coma (diabetic ketoacidosis) is in the cards. Don't wait until October. Don't wait until next week. I hope I am wrong about this, but if it is type 1 diabeties there is no time to waste.

I do hope this gets worked out for you soon. From one who has been there, the diabetic diet is a breeze compared the keeping gluten free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#12 brdbntL

brdbntL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 06:10 AM

If you want to do it yourself without the cost of the meter and strips, because they can be expensive if bought without insurance. Try the Keto strips, if you are on a low carb diet this is not the way to go. And if you have a lot of ketones make an appt as soon as possible with the doctor, go to one of those walk in clinics if you have to. I am pretty sure they are readily available at most pharamacies, because of the Atkins craze. The only potential problem I can see with this is that there might be another reason the ketones are there. ( I am not a medical professional so I don't even claim to know much about ketones except that if you have diabetes you don't want them in your urine) Please don't wait too long to get tested. And tell your doctor you want to be tested, don't ask insist. The American diabetes association has a website and it lists the symptoms (you have at least two from what you have written) Take that with you if you think that will help convince your doctor. Also remind him/her that celiac and type 1 are interconnected.
My daughters doctor did the keto strip test, before sending us to the ER when my daughter was diagnosed. I have never seen a nurses eyes get that big. Within 10 minutes the dr had me on my way to the childrens hospital er, would have been sooner but I had to call my husband and the dr called the childrens hospital.
Sorry to go on and on, but if you even have a little inkling of maybe you might have diabetes go get it checked out, better safe than sorry.
Laura

#13 skbird

skbird

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 973 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 07:59 AM

Hola -

I got my first one at Walgreens for $15 and the test strips were 100 for $40. You also have to buy lancets but they are not that pricey, something like $5 for 100. You don't have to test as often as I did - that is helpful in hypoglycemia but not as crucial in diabetes as blood sugar tends to go up rather than rapidly fall, as in hypoglycemia.

It was just a Walgreens brand one - many pharmacies have their own "house" brand. I ended up investing a little more and getting Freestyle at some point. There was a deal on that one, buy 100 test strips and the meter was free. There are often deals on these things, so keep your eyes open. People like the Freestyle and the One Touch the most, according to reviews.

I initially was going to go through insurance for this but it was a major hassle so I just spent my own money (also I have a cafeteria plan at work so I could get reimbursed for this expense).

I used to be on a couple of Yahoo Groups Hypoglycemia forums and that's when I learned about doing this myself. I had previously thought a doctor had to prescribe a meter to you. The strips are often kept behind a pharmacy counter but all you have to do is ask for them.

The benefit of the Freestyle or One Touch is it takes less blood so a smaller prick on your skin, and also they tend to be usable other places than just your fingers (like your wrist or arm or leg, etc). I found that when using the first one it was best if I used the side of my finger as then it wouldn't hurt when I typed.

I found it to be a great benefit to my health and knowledge about myself so I heartily recommend. You can even try contacting the companies themselves and see if there's a way you can get one directly through them - sometimes they give some away.

Take care

Stephanie
Diagnosed by food challenge, 10/04
Gluten-free since 10/04
Gluten-sensitive genes: HLA-DQ 1,3 (Subtype 6,9)
Interstitial Cystitis, 7/07
Fibromyalgia, 6/11

#14 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 02:09 PM

Ok,

Here's what I'm gonna do....

I had told Peter in an email that I was just going to call the doc, because I didn't have the $$ to go out and get the meter, etc. But....then I remembered that my insurance doesn't even pay for that doc anymore (I will still go to him on occasion, but that would be more $$ than just getting the strips). So....I'm going to go to Walgreen's tonight and see what they have. That's the only store that I have close....otherwise, it's a long drive for me. I'll let you know what I find! :)

But I have a few more questions:

1). I'm not sure what the diff is beteween type 1 and type 2. I was thinking I would be type 2, if anything...but a lot of you had brought up type 1. ? :huh:

2.) I'm wondering if I'm paranoid about the urine smell. I mean, it seems like it smells sweet, but it's not like i can compare it to everyone elses urine smell. :lol: Ya' know? So how do I know if I'm being too high strung on that??

3.) Should I test my urine first thing in the a.m.? What's the best time?

4.) I experimented with some muffins last night that were made with soy flour. They tasted great, but the rest of the night, I felt SO full and bloated and thirsty. And during the night, I got up twice to urninate (which I n ever do), and my hands were really swollen, and was thirsty all night. Does that sound related to diabetes, or is that just me eating something that didn't agree with me?

Again, I really appreciate everyone's help. You all have been just GREAT! :D

~Brenda, who is off to Walgreen's!!
~Brenda

#15 BRCoats

BRCoats

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 04:35 PM

Ok, I'm back from Walgreens. Guess what???? I got a Free Style model for only ten bucks!!! They were having a MAJOR sale!!! Yeah for me!!! :D They had another model for free, if you bought the strips....eek! I had no idea how expensive strips are!! So for now, I just have the strips that come with the unit itself. I tested twice now (first one didn't work because I did it on my arm and not much blood came out. :angry: But the second one was fine, and the reading was 106. I had just eaten a snack a little beforehand. So, that is fine, from what I understand. ? Of course, evenings are when I feel best....but I'll test again in the a.m., before any drink or food.

Wish me luck. :)

~Brenda, who is bleeding like a stuck pig. :o
~Brenda

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: