This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sweet Smelling Urine

BRCoats

BRCoats Enthusiast
Brenda - your readings sound similar to mine. While 69 on it's own isn't particularly low, if it was 90 15 mins before or something (I'm hypothesizing) then you would feel the effects. A lot of the time when people have hypoglycemic episodes, they don't see that in their blood sugar results, because they test when they feel bad (which is usually when your adrenal system kicks in and gets your blood sugar back up to reasonable levels, which also makes you feel kind of crummy) or because the change in blood sugar levels was rapid, but the new lower number isn't as low as what is considered too low. Generally, at least for my well being, when I see myself falling in the 60's I start paying a lot of attention to my diet. Formerly, one of my favorite things to bring my blood sugar up to normal range when it wasn't doing that on it's own, I would eat a sandwich with sprouted grain bread. That seemed to hold me in the right range for 2-3 hours, like nothing else would. Of course I can't eat that now. What I try to do is eat a complex carb with a fat, like brown rice toast with peanut butter. Peanut butter is my saving grace. Also, a glass of milk (I drink goat milk) is good, has a good combo of fat, sugar and protein. But if you can't have dairy, something else would have to be used.

It does sound like you might have some blood sugar issues. It might be worth your while to order some more strips to just see how you do over a longer period of time, in case you fluctuate. Keep a journal of how you feel, what you eat, and what your blood sugars are. This stuff can be pretty convincing to doctors who might be skeptical of claims of blood sugar issues.

Take care

Stephanie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stephanie,

I am going to order some more test strips, because I want to see what the readings are when I "think" my blood sugar is too high. I really do think I fluctuate, and it all depends on where I am in my cycle. The closer I get to my period, the more I struggle with the high end. After my period, I feel like I battle the low, until I start ovulating again. Unfortunately, all my cravings come when I'm ovulating. :angry: And after I start, my blood sugar is low, but so is my appetite. :angry: Ugh....

I don't think my doc would be skeptical at all if I just showed him the numbers. He's not one that convincing is like pulling teeth. :)

Thanks again for that site that sells the strips. That price seems a LOT more reasonable than even Wal-Mart!!

~Brenda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

skbird Contributor

That's interesting, because for me, whenever I take supplements that supplement estrogen, I have blood sugar crashes. When I supplement with progesterone, I have fewer crashes, if any. Progesterone is supposed to dominate from ovulation on, with estrogen building before that. So that would fit with your symptoms, too.

Sometimes it seems like everything in my life revolves around my freakin' cycle. Ugh! Only 20 more years until I hit menopause... sigh....

Stephanie

BRCoats Enthusiast
That's interesting, because for me, whenever I take supplements that supplement estrogen, I have blood sugar crashes. When I supplement with progesterone, I have fewer crashes, if any. Progesterone is supposed to dominate from ovulation on, with estrogen building before that. So that would fit with your symptoms, too.

Sometimes it seems like everything in my life revolves around my freakin' cycle. Ugh! Only 20 more years until I hit menopause... sigh....

Stephanie

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Stephanie,

When my doc tested my estrogen/progesterone, he found that my estrogen was a bit low, and my progesterone was TEN TIMES higher than it should be. :o So maybe there's something weird going on there...it's probably due to the polycystic ovarian disease....which is linked to insulin resistance. I know there's a link. I just don't know what to do about it. :( And I don't know that the progesterone is that high anymore. That was a while back.

Yup...looking forward to menopause myself. Well, not menopause, but AFTER menopause. :lol:

~Brenda

Archived