Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Got An Appointment For Tomorrow! What Do I Ask?

• Please log in to reply

4 replies to this topic

#1 sapereaude

sapereaude

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

I called the BIDMC celiac center back and asked if they had any earlier appointments open up (mine was for October 18th) and they had one for tomorrow morning! So relieved.

Can anyone help with what sorts of things I should ask / request, etc? I'm bringing my husband too if he can make it.
35 yo female
Suffering chronic fatigue, bruising, stomach aches, nausea, Vit D Deficiency, Anemia among other stuff - suspecting celiac

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 nvsmom

nvsmom

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:46 AM

Glad your sappointment was moved up. It's soooo hard to wait for those!

I would right down all of your complaints, give a desciption of how it affects your life and how often (don't just say diahrea, say you must run to the bathroom within 20 minutes of eating and stay close to it for the next 6 hours... for example). Put the largest and most annoying complaints first but make it comprehensive; include non GI related symptoms like hairloss, brittle nails, sore joints, migraines, mouth sores, rashes, etc... It's amazing how it's all linked. Make a copy for yourself and then give the list to your doctor. - If you are at all like me, I get stressed with doctors and forget half of what I want to say.

Request these tests for celiac:
  • Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
  • Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
  • Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
  • Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
  • Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
  • Total Serum IgA

ttg IgA and EMA are the most specific and sensitive to celiac. Make sure you are eating gluten at least 6 weeks prior to the tests.

For the bruising, ask for a platelet count. It could be thrombocytopenia (clotting problems) which can be serious and cause your anemia and fatigue. It can be linked to hypothyroidism (hashimoto's), Lupus and other AI's too.

I would also request a TSH test (T4 and TPOAb if they'll give it) and an ANA test (with C3 and C4 complements if they'll do it). That should show if you have a thyroid problem or if the bruising is auto immune related rather than vitamin deficiency linked (low iron or K).

Ask for vit tests like B12, Calcium, D and iron levels; that could be linked to fatigue. Others around here will know more on those. :)

Good luck!
Nicole Posted Image

"Acceptance is the key to happiness."

ITP - 1993
Celiac - June, 2012
Hypothyroid - August, 2012

CANADIAN

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 sapereaude

sapereaude

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 01:10 PM

:( The docs office just called and said they weren't supposed to put anyone in that appointment time and so I'm back to Oct 18th. arg, I was so looking forward to possibly getting things figured out.
35 yo female
Suffering chronic fatigue, bruising, stomach aches, nausea, Vit D Deficiency, Anemia among other stuff - suspecting celiac

#4 kittty

kittty

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:10 PM

:( The docs office just called and said they weren't supposed to put anyone in that appointment time and so I'm back to Oct 18th. arg, I was so looking forward to possibly getting things figured out.

Are you close to the office? Some places will have an "on call" list in case someone cancels their appointment.

#5 sapereaude

sapereaude

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 02:28 PM

Are you close to the office? Some places will have an "on call" list in case someone cancels their appointment.

they did say they would put me on the cancellation list, and I'll keep calling each day to see if an earlier slot opens up.
35 yo female

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: