This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Got An Appointment For Tomorrow! What Do I Ask?

sapereaude

sapereaude Newbie

I called the BIDMC celiac center back and asked if they had any earlier appointments open up (mine was for October 18th) and they had one for tomorrow morning! So relieved.

Can anyone help with what sorts of things I should ask / request, etc? I'm bringing my husband too if he can make it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nvsmom Community Regular

Glad your sappointment was moved up. It's soooo hard to wait for those!

I would right down all of your complaints, give a desciption of how it affects your life and how often (don't just say diahrea, say you must run to the bathroom within 20 minutes of eating and stay close to it for the next 6 hours... for example). Put the largest and most annoying complaints first but make it comprehensive; include non GI related symptoms like hairloss, brittle nails, sore joints, migraines, mouth sores, rashes, etc... It's amazing how it's all linked. Make a copy for yourself and then give the list to your doctor. - If you are at all like me, I get stressed with doctors and forget half of what I want to say.

Request these tests for celiac:

• Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgA
  • Anti-Gliadin (AGA) IgG
  • Anti-Endomysial (EMA) IgA
  • Anti-Tissue Transglutaminase (tTG) IgA
  • Deamidated Gliadin Peptide (DGP) IgA and IgG
  • Total Serum IgA

ttg IgA and EMA are the most specific and sensitive to celiac. Make sure you are eating gluten at least 6 weeks prior to the tests.

For the bruising, ask for a platelet count. It could be thrombocytopenia (clotting problems) which can be serious and cause your anemia and fatigue. It can be linked to hypothyroidism (hashimoto's), Lupus and other AI's too.

I would also request a TSH test (T4 and TPOAb if they'll give it) and an ANA test (with C3 and C4 complements if they'll do it). That should show if you have a thyroid problem or if the bruising is auto immune related rather than vitamin deficiency linked (low iron or K).

Ask for vit tests like B12, Calcium, D and iron levels; that could be linked to fatigue. Others around here will know more on those. :)

Good luck!

sapereaude Newbie
:( The docs office just called and said they weren't supposed to put anyone in that appointment time and so I'm back to Oct 18th. arg, I was so looking forward to possibly getting things figured out.
kittty Contributor

:( The docs office just called and said they weren't supposed to put anyone in that appointment time and so I'm back to Oct 18th. arg, I was so looking forward to possibly getting things figured out.

Are you close to the office? Some places will have an "on call" list in case someone cancels their appointment.

sapereaude Newbie

Are you close to the office? Some places will have an "on call" list in case someone cancels their appointment.

they did say they would put me on the cancellation list, and I'll keep calling each day to see if an earlier slot opens up.

Archived