#1 Elisa D

Elisa D

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 09:43 AM

Hi there everyone!

I'm new on here today and came to be a part of this community for support, as I undergo this new lifestyle change. My question that I can't get answered on the internet and feel too foolish to call the doctor back about is, what the antibodies rating is for a confirmed Celiac diagnoses. I thought I read on the paper something like between 30 and 50 for a positive result, but mine came back as 5000! Could that have just been another type of measurement? Have any of you had a rating that high? What does that even mean? I'm assuming that it's not in the same units and can't be as bad as it looks. Any help you can give me will put my mind at ease.

As a side note, while reading up on all of this testing stuff, I kept seeing my name everywhere on the info sheets. My name happens to be ELISA and that's the testing they use. What a coincidence!

I hope to be able to get a lot of information on here about celiac and especially from the pros.... you guys!

Thanks for getting back to me!

Elisa

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mushroom

mushroom

Mushroom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,448 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 11:03 AM

Hi and welcome to the board.

It sounds like the first thing you need to do is get a copy of your test results from your doctor (this is good practice always, you need to be proactive in your health care and another pair of eyes looking at the results is a good idea :rolleyes: ).

Each testing lab develops their own range for negative, possible, and positive so it's hard to comment on numbers without ranges. But 5000 certainly sounds whacky.and extraordinarily high.

When you get a copy of your results, post them on the board here for us to look at. :)
Neroli

"Everything that can be counted does not necessarily count; everything that counts cannot necessarily be counted." - Albert Einstein

"Life is not weathering the storm; it is learning to dance in the rain"

"Whatever the question, the answer is always chocolate." Nigella Lawson

------------

Caffeine free 1973
Lactose free 1990
(Mis)diagnosed IBS, fibromyalgia '80's and '90's
Diagnosed psoriatic arthritis 2004
Self-diagnosed gluten intolerant, gluten-free Nov. 2007
Soy free March 2008
Nightshade free Feb 2009
Citric acid free June 2009
Potato starch free July 2009
(Totally) corn free Nov. 2009
Legume free March 2010
Now tolerant of lactose

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#3 Elisa D

Elisa D

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 04:20 AM

Hi and welcome to the board.

It sounds like the first thing you need to do is get a copy of your test results from your doctor (this is good practice always, you need to be proactive in your health care and another pair of eyes looking at the results is a good idea :rolleyes: ).

Each testing lab develops their own range for negative, possible, and positive so it's hard to comment on numbers without ranges. But 5000 certainly sounds whacky.and extraordinarily high.

When you get a copy of your results, post them on the board here for us to look at. :)

Thank you for getting back to me. I will post it when I get a copy. I feel too silly for not having thought of it when I had my first appointment. I have my biopsy on Oct 10th so I'll ask my questions then.

Have any of the other people on here had number like that? That might shed some light on it too. Also, what were some other procedures done for everyone after the biopsy and confirmation??? Did the doctor want new blood work done as a base point in ongoing care and testing? Did they say how often they'd want to do a check up, will there be more biopsy's in a year or so? I feel so new and a bit lost with all of this and I'll need to learn to be more proactive with the doctor but didn't know the questions to ask the first time.

Thanks for your patience! Elisa

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: