#1 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:09 AM

Hi

I am loving the look of primal/paleo, and I know when I did Atkins years ago it was great.

However - my son has a severe nut allergy and we can't have them in the house.

I tried Atkins again recently, but struggled without nuts for snacks.

I can't have too much fruit, or any seseme either.

Can anyone suggest easy to carry snacks?

Many thanks
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Adalaide

Adalaide

It needs to be about 20% cooler.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,449 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 06:38 AM

Due to an additional condition I was diagnosed with after celiac I am seed and nut free. I'm actually tyramine free but these are both included. Additionally I'm soy free so at first I spent the first few days convinced I would starve to death.

First, an easy and no sacrifice option. If it doesn't matter what you eat you could keep Kind bars or Larabars in your desk at work and just be sure you practice handwashing and if necessary brush your teeth or whatever before you leave. Not sure if that's an option for you but you'd be able to have nuts, it's a quick and great snack and they'd never be in the house.

There isn't much in the way of grab and go snacks I can have anymore but I do keep fruit snacks or fruit leather handy. Costco usually has huge boxes of super awesome fruit leather for a reasonable price. My husband prefers fruit snacks and they are cheaper so it's what we more commonly have on hand. We keep fresh vegetables washed and ready to snack on available 100% of the time. Again, Costco to the rescue, I can get a 5 pound bag of organic, washed and ready to eat baby carrots for $5. I throw together some yogurt tiziki dipping sauce to keep on hand also. Instead of fatty sour cream we're shoveling probiotics and cucumbers in our face with our veggies. I also like to keep large (huge) containers of grape tomoatoes, the yellow ones. Nature's candy.

Popcorn can be healthy. It isn't the way I like it but in theory it's a great healthy snack. If you aren't dairy free I am a huge fan if Laughing Cow cheese wedges with rice crackers. You wouldn't be able to buy the huge huge boxes of Crunchmaster at Costco because half are sesame (unless you can pawn those off on the other half of the house) but half are parmesan, both are delicious. Really, any good cracker or whatever. Or just the cheese! Or string cheese with fruit. I know you said not too much fruit but you could split an apple with your son and have some sliced cheddar or string cheese. Always a favorite here. I also do a lot of cottage cheese and fruit, heavy on the dairy light on the fruit for you I suppose. Actually, I usually just make that a meal and add flax.

Anywho, that's just some ideas of what we do around here. I keep steering my husband more and more away from his fatty diet to more and more healthy stuff. He says I'm turning him into a hippie. :lol:

"You don't look sick or anything"

"Well you don't look stupid, looks can be deceiving."

Celiac DX Dec 2012

CRPS DX March 2014

#3 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:49 AM

That's great, thanks

I feel a bit like I'm living on cheese some days! Fingers crossed I dont turn out intolerant...

I need to be a bit more prepared I think.

Hippie is good, in my view. I have yet to convince my family about better eating. Though my husband did say he was jealous of my breakfast of rice avocado chicken and gluten-free soy sauce. Maybe eventually...
- Symptoms from 2001, maybe before. Across 20+ years, these have included, vomiting, D, migraines, headaches, recurrent miscarriage, inflammation problems (failure to heal from injuries) brain fog, anxiety and more!
- Elimination diet using Atkins, 2003 – excluded wheat, caffeine, quorn. 2005, excluded sesame, alcohol
- Started diagnosis route April 2012, blood tests, endoscopy – said negative, gluten challenge, clearly something very wrong, had to stop after 3 weeks.
- Gluten Free, August 2012, Corn Free, September 2012. Removed most processed gluten free foods.
- Genetic testing, December 2012 – negative – Diagnosis – Non Celiac Gluten Intolerance (NCGI)
- Elimination diet, January 2013 – all of the above plus dairy, legumes, all grains, sugar, additives, white potatoes, soy. Reintroducing sloooowly now. Health improving.
It's not that I'm so smart, it's just that I stay with problems longer. ~Albert Einstein Posted Image

#4 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:50 AM

I know, I've not started the diet yet!!!

#5 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 11:01 AM

I'm on the primal diet, go to work 9-5, and then school from 6-10pm. So I've been trying to live on primal snacks since I dont trust my school's cafeteria and obviously cant cook a steak in my classroom. Besides nuts, I always carry around with me some unsalted sunflower seeds, gluten free beef jerky, cheese, yogurt (I know its not primal, but a girl's gotta eat!), carrots, and they sell little snack packs of the dried cranberries (Craisins) that really come in handy. It definitely holds me over until I get home! Best of luck!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

#6 Celiac Mindwarp

Celiac Mindwarp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 01:30 PM

Wow, I remember when I used to have energy like that, well done for sticking at school.

Some great ideas, thanks, I'd forgotten about sunflower seeds, I really like those

Thanks

#7 LauraB0927

LauraB0927

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 02:58 PM

Wow, I remember when I used to have energy like that, well done for sticking at school.

Some great ideas, thanks, I'd forgotten about sunflower seeds, I really like those

Thanks

Hahaha who said I had energy???? :) But thanks!!

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead ahead - soon we must all face the choice, to do what is right, or what is easy..." - Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)

Diagnosed Celiac in May 2012 by TTG level and endoscopy
Acid reflux/GERD (stopped since eating gluten-free)
Syncope
Raynaud's Syndrome
Iron Deficient

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: