Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Is This Dermatitis Herpetiformis? (Pics)

• Please log in to reply

8 replies to this topic

#1 fitnessfreak

fitnessfreak

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

I have no symptoms such as abdominal discomfort or malnutrition but skin problems.

Here are Pics: http://i.imgur.com/XToFi.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/J6I9a.jpg

Is it related to gluten?

I removed gluten from my diet for 6 days with this result:
http://i.imgur.com/sWeKP.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/7AyKW.jpg

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 rosetapper23

rosetapper23

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 19 September 2012 - 10:19 AM

Well, it doesn't look like mine, but I'm sure there are others on this forum who DO experience DH the way that you do. Apparently, it presents differently with different people.

That said, there are other skin conditions that are aggravated by gluten, such as eczema. If you saw improvement--and your photos indicate this--you may wish to avoid gluten for a while to see if the rash disappears. Then you can try eating it again, and if your rash reappears, you at least know that gluten is something your body does not do well with.

However, it would be a good idea to ask a doctor to run a full celiac panel (bloodtest) and even possibly take a biopsy of CLEAR SKIN NEXT TO A LESION to see if it's actually DH. There are very few doctors and dermatologists who understand that the biopsy should NOT be taken of the lesion itself; otherwise, the results are negative. The reason why I'm suggesting that you get tested is that you might, in fact, have celiac disease; and while you are not currently feeling ill, damage is being done to your small intestine. This can have a tragic outcome. If you KNOW you have celiac, you're more likely to be extremely careful about cross-contamination. Otherwise, when people aren't sure whether or not they have it, they occasionally cheat and eat foods containing gluten...and this can be very bad. So....if you'd like to be tested, you'll need to return to eating gluten for a while.

Others will offer their advice and opinions--consider all of the information and make an informed, personal decision.

#3 fitnessfreak

fitnessfreak

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:05 AM

Thankyou for your answer. I suspect it can be hives.? It's really puzzling and its a large source of stress for me.

I went to a skin doctor, who said that I don't have any serious skin condition. He said it is just because of hot weather and will heal on its own. I live in a backward state of India and food intolerance is unheard of here.

Although people know about food allergies but not one does about celiac disease. If I tell any doctor that I suspect I have allergy to gluten/wheat- everybody laughs.

#4 squirmingitch

squirmingitch

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,370 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:52 AM

My opinion is the same as rosetapper.

Self diagnosed dh Sept. 2011~~~ confirmed dx July 18, 2012
Gluten free Dec. 2011
Soy free Dec. 2011
Hubs self diagnosed dh March 30, 2012
Hubs gluten free March 30, 2012

Summer 2013 We both have added back a little soy which is near unavoidable & we are doing okay with that small amount.

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:28 AM

Doesn't look like mine did.

richard

#6 Jackson

Jackson

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 06:47 PM

This doesn't look like any of my DH breakouts!

#7 zamm0

zamm0

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

not like mine

#8 sisterlynr

sisterlynr

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Does not look like my rash. Have you checked online about Keratosis Pilaris? My nephew sometimes has a rash that appears the same as yours. May be due to gluten. . . .but not DH rash?

Misdiagnosed DH symptoms for 30 years in the form of blisters on shoulders, scalp, sole of foot and lower back.
Type II Diabetes 1995  /   Fatty liver biopsy 2001  ~ Diagnosed with NH Lymphoma in 2007 metastasized to bones & Stage IV by 2008 Chemotherapy in 2008 ~ Breakout of rash from scalp to sole of feet. February 28, 2012 until present
Iron deficiency anemia - July of 2012  /  
Osteoarthritis. September 2012  2012 Rash was diagnosed as Eczema, Grover's Disease, Folliculitis per biopsies of the lesions. September 2012   Started Dapsone and Gluten-Free diet on October 20, 2012 ~ Diag DH 2012.  Not taking Dapsone due to sulfa reaction.  Biopsy in July 2013 indicates Lupus but my doctors do not agree on cause of rash for various reasons.  

~Lyn~

#9 karinschm

karinschm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

I had these little things on my face very often -- they didn't icht or hurt. It seemed like milia, actually. Coincidentally, when I was diagnosed with celiac disease and started a gluten free diet, they disappeared. I don't think they're DH but they may be related to gluten, yes.
As for the second dermatitis, I never had -- but if they improved after removing gluten, good for you! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: