Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

Not Sure What Is Going On........

12 posts in this topic

My 8 year old son has been gluten free for about 5 weeks since being diagnosed with Celiac. He did not really have any GI symptoms but does have short stature so it is difficult to know how he is actually responding to the diet. For dinner last night he had gluten free meat ravioli and veggies. For dessert he had strawberries and bananas dipped in ghirardelli milk chocolate baking chips that I melted myself and a crystal light flavor packet mixed with water. He woke up at 1:30am this morning screaming that his stomach hurt, he said it felt like a pinching pain. I had him eat a banana and drink some water and he calmed down and went back to sleep. When we woke him up for school he began crying and saying that his stomach still hurt. He has not vomited or had diarrhea so I'm not sure what to do, is it possible he got "glutened" by something?

I had previously called ghirardelli about the chocolate chips and they assured me they were gluten free. My husband gave him the drink at football practice. I asked him if he read the ingredients and he said he hadn't but that he "thought" he remember reading in one of our books that it was gluten free (grrrr). After doing some research this morning it does appear to be gluten free. I'm wondering if the culprit might be the ravioli as this is the first time we have eaten it. We bought it at a local "gluten free" mom and pop shop but had previously tasted it at our city's gluten free food fair. I checked the ingredients are all gluten free so I am stumped.

Based on experience (since I have none) does this sound like he has gotten some gluten or could it be something else? Thanks for the help!

Ads by Google:

Could it be the artificial sweetener?

Crystal Light is gluten-free. I believe it has aspartame in it. My son (not celiac)) and I have stomach pains and bloating from that sweetener. Crystal Light has a few flavors called "Pure"" that use Truvia as a sweetener that works for me. Just looking at the package it says gluten-free on the box.

what did he have earlier in the day? Is it possible lunch or snack could be culprit ?

Also is your cookware gluten free?

Also is your cookware gluten free?

My first though is what did you strain your ravioli in? If it's a cookware issue, this is the first place I would think. Is your strainer new and gluten-free? They can be really hard to clean.

Hope he's feeling better really soon.

I have gotten sick from Ghiradelli before. I believe they process on shared equipment with wheat if I recall.

It is possible he got glutened or something else he ate is bothering him. Since he has never reacted to gluten before it is possible that your kitchen still needs some fine tuning. If you are preparing gluten items for the rest of the family, it is likely that he could become ill from cross contamination. The colander would also be my first guess, but pots, pans, cooking utensils, cutting boards, toasters, can opener, etc. can all be a problem. Often as time gluten free increases the sensitivity to gluten increases - so it is not uncommon for this to happen in the first few months gluten-free.

Is the stomach pain better this morning or the same? If the pain gets better and he just feels crummy it was likely something he ate. Definitely write down everything he ate if you are not already keeping a food journal to compare if this should happen in the future.

If the pain is still severe or sharp stabbing - I'd take him to the doctor to be checked just in case something else is going on - especially if he has never had severe stomach pain before - while gluten could be the problem, I wouldn't want to dismiss sudden severe pain.

Hope he is feeling better very quickly.

I missed the football practice part the first time. I'm assuming it was a full pads practice. If he is still having stabbing pain today, I would take him to the doc. Tell him he had practice. It is possible he got hit just right and injured something. Not trying to scare you as the odds are against it but, this is similiar to a kid on my son's team. It didn't hurt until later.

Thank you for your help! We did take him to the doctor because he just wouldn't settle down and she said that it is not uncommon to develop GI symptoms after being on a gluten free diet when you are exposed to gluten. So she said that he either got some gluten or he has a stomach bug that seems to be going around. Time will tell because she said if it was a bug he should have vomiting or diarrhea. He does seem to be feeling better thankfully!

After reading responses I'm thinking maybe it was the colander as we have not purchased a new one. This has actually been a point of contention between me, our nutritionist and my husband. He doesn't understand why we need a new colander even though the nutritionist recommended it. His reasoning is that we all use the same silverware and plates so why should the colander be any different. He was fine with the new toaster and I have even convinced him to buy a George Foreman grill so we don't have to put foil down everytime we cook something for our son on the grill but he is hung up on the colander for some reason. Funny, I know! Anyway, he has lost the battle and I am going to purchase one specifically for the gluten free pasta today.

Thanks again!

Men....I don't get them ;) A $10 colander, really??? lol

My think with a colander is that if it's a fine mesh one, getting it REALLY clean it hard. Dishes and silver are easy to get really clean. A colander, not so much. We have basically a kosher kitchen for cooking but not eating. We have allergy/gluten free pots, pans, baking racks, serving utensils but our dishes (I feel and DS's tests revel) are a-ok.

I hope he's feeling better no matter the issue. Sick kids aren't fun for Mom either!

...I agree with all of the above, AND...

We recently bought a pie from a Mom and Pop shop locally which produces certified gluten free pies and quiches. Both of my kids got glutened within 20 minutes of eating the pie. I called the owner who was not particularly helpful or compassionate. She could not convince me that the pie, although labeled correctly, was actually gluten-free. (Note that this Mom and Pop also produces non-gluten-free goods as well).

I called the gluten-free certification organization and THEY were amazing. They told me that this particular shop is newly certified and that they would send secret shoppers and also retest the pies, etc. The incredibly helpful woman also said that the dedicated facilities truly are the most reliable.

As much as I want to support local Mom and Pops, I simply can't expose myself or my kids to the cross contamination which can come along with purchasing goods from a (small) facility which also handles gluten.

Instead, I've been "cross-training" our babysitter in gluten-free baking and cooking...

Thinking of your guy!

Hope he feels better soon!

I suggest a stainless steel colander...it can theoretically be scoured down if someone puts gluten in it. The fine mesh ones are impossible. I have all new colanders now, and a mesh one, but gluten isn't allowed near it.

My 8 year old son has been gluten free for about 5 weeks since being diagnosed with Celiac. He did not really have any GI symptoms but does have short stature so it is difficult to know how he is actually responding to the diet. For dinner last night he had gluten free meat ravioli and veggies. For dessert he had strawberries and bananas dipped in ghirardelli milk chocolate baking chips that I melted myself and a crystal light flavor packet mixed with water. He woke up at 1:30am this morning screaming that his stomach hurt, he said it felt like a pinching pain. I had him eat a banana and drink some water and he calmed down and went back to sleep. When we woke him up for school he began crying and saying that his stomach still hurt. He has not vomited or had diarrhea so I'm not sure what to do, is it possible he got "glutened" by something?

I had previously called ghirardelli about the chocolate chips and they assured me they were gluten free. My husband gave him the drink at football practice. I asked him if he read the ingredients and he said he hadn't but that he "thought" he remember reading in one of our books that it was gluten free (grrrr). After doing some research this morning it does appear to be gluten free. I'm wondering if the culprit might be the ravioli as this is the first time we have eaten it. We bought it at a local "gluten free" mom and pop shop but had previously tasted it at our city's gluten free food fair. I checked the ingredients are all gluten free so I am stumped.

Based on experience (since I have none) does this sound like he has gotten some gluten or could it be something else? Thanks for the help!

Probably with signs of GI problems he will have reactions to chocolate and bannanas and things like tomatos (acidic/caffinated/heavy starches). Maybe something like raw fruit fresh cut (store packaged stuff has got gluten even on the lable) but fresh cut with agave nectar (usually easier on tummys than chocolate). Or iced tea. Just brain storming ;)

Hope he feels better :D