This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Neurotransmitter Testing Results

ShannonA

ShannonA Contributor

My Naturopath completed a neurotransmitter test on me and I just got the results in. Of the 14 neurotransmitters tested only 4 are functioning properly. The ones that are not are serotonin, 5-HIAA, tryptamine, GABA, PEA, tyramine, dopamine, DOPAC, norepinephrine ,epinephrine. He stated that this is very bad and he does not know how I am even functioning. Really. I said only by the grace of God. He also said now that we know I am gluten sensitive, I believe celiac too even though test was negative, that it most likely did attack me neurologically, hence all of my neuro issues. I also have tingling in my face and sometimes numbness on my lip. I questioned that and he said yes from nonfunctioning transmitters. Still daily head pain but not the on fire brain feeling unless I eat anything except soups and 3 fruits. Also he said there is no way I could sleep through the night with these results, I haven't been able to sleep without meds in 1 1/2 years, So the answer is to get on some supplements and I would see results within a month but start having more energy in 1 week. Here's the problem.....I can't tolerate the supplements. I get flu like symptoms along with a migraine. I have been on a soup & veggie diet for 6 weeks and 3 fruits only being able to tolerate just that. He said that is most likely due to the transmitters being all out of whack. I really didn't want to have to go to a medical doctor, but should I bring these results and is there meds that can increase all of these transmitters? Side effects are horrible but I finally have answers now I want to be fixed! I had no idea all the damage that could come from gluten, it's scary. I'm just so confused as to what to do.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

1. Eat gluten free.

2. Go to the health food store vitamin section, or even a drugstore or grocery, and read carefully the ingredients on a basic B complex vitamin supplement. You are looking for the words "gluten free." Same for a calcium/D/magnesium supplement. "gluten free."

3. Take the supplements after you have eaten something that agrees with you. Not on an empty stomach. If any supplement bothers you, don't take it anymore. A migraine means this is the wrong supplement for you.

4. Have patience, it takes the neurological damage some time to resolve, but, if you eat clean and supplement carefully, you will heal up. Don't overdo it and start taking a dozen different things all at once.

5. Sleeping. Best way to sleep is to tire yourself out with late afternoon exercise, then eat a decent meal with some fat in it, and don't do caffeine late in the day.

5b. Sleeping. Say, did anyone test your thyroid function ?

6. Search your day's routine for cross contamination sources, such as cosmetic lotions loaded with wheat, or pet foods and licking animals. Or other people's kisses when they haven't brushed their teeth yet. Some of us neuro people are very sensitive, and have to go to more ridiculous lengths to avoid gluten than a regular gluten- avoider. Sometimes, for example, I have to clean my steering wheel off because my husband ate a burger with a bun and he was driving my car as I ate my packed lunch. This is why I keep a spritz bottle of water, and a roll of paper towels in the back, it's not just for the mirrors. I try to keep exposure to a minimum, because I believe it has a cumulative effect over the day.

ShannonA Contributor

I have tried so many vitamins and have reacted to all except liquid geritol. There is always corn, soy, or lactose or something else in them that I react to. I haven't found any that do not have those somewheres in the ingredients. The last one I bought was Country Life vitamin B comlpex and had achy flu like symptoms/migraine for the 4 days that I took them. It's really crazy when I think about it. I did find a magnesium that I could tolerate and I drink a protein shake with lots of vitamins by Natures Sunshine. I've been on that 6 months. Should the neuro transmitters levels increase being gluten free? I am SO praying for a miracle :)

GottaSki Mentor

Your body can not produce neurotransmitters without amino acids that you acquire from your food. Celiac Disease disrupts this process because your digestive system is not properly breaking down nor absorbing food.

As your digestive system heals from removing gluten you should begin to absorb nutrients better which will allow your body to breakdown food into the amino acids needed to produce neurotransmitters.

You mention eating soup and fruit. Do you have a sufficient amount of protein in your diet. It is difficult to get all the essential amino acids without meat - especially if you are having trouble with grains and legumes.

Were the supplements you were trying to take amino acids? I take amino acid supplements to help produce nor-epinephrine - the lack of nor-epinephrine is one part of the fibromyalgia pain puzzle. I've had good luck with "Source Naturals" brand as far as being Gluten, Dairy and Soy free -- if you can't tolerate the supplements you were given, perhaps you can find out which amino acids were in them and purchase a different brand that you'd be able to tolerate. There are also supplements that have a combo of the essential amino acids - I don't take those anymore, but I think I used "Country Life" - any brand that doesn't contain your intolerances should be fine.

Good Luck :)

ShannonA Contributor

Your body can not produce neurotransmitters without amino acids that you acquire from your food. Celiac Disease disrupts this process because your digestive system is not properly breaking down nor absorbing food.

As your digestive system heals from removing gluten you should begin to absorb nutrients better which will allow your body to breakdown food into the amino acids needed to produce neurotransmitters.

You mention eating soup and fruit. Do you have a sufficient amount of protein in your diet. It is difficult to get all the essential amino acids without meat - especially if you are having trouble with grains and legumes.

Were the supplements you were trying to take amino acids? I take amino acid supplements to help produce nor-epinephrine - the lack of nor-epinephrine is one part of the fibromyalgia pain puzzle. I've had good luck with "Source Naturals" brand as far as being Gluten, Dairy and Soy free -- if you can't tolerate the supplements you were given,

perhaps you can find out which amino acids were in them and purchase a different brand that you'd be able to tolerate. There are also supplements that have a combo of the essential amino acids - I don't take those anymore, but I think I used "Country Life" - any brand that doesn't contain your intolerances should be fine.

Good Luck :)

Yes I eat chicken with every serving or fish depending on what kind of soup I made. Plus the protein shake, I know that's what has gotten my mornings to be the best part of the day. So glad to know all this info, thank you so much! I'll compare the supplements he gave me to see what amino acids I need. Thanks!
GottaSki Mentor

Yes I eat chicken with every serving or fish depending on what kind of soup I made. Plus the protein shake, I know that's what has gotten my mornings to be the best part of the day. So glad to know all this info, thank you so much! I'll compare the supplements he gave me to see what amino acids I need. Thanks!

Great! Sounds like you should begin improving - unfortunately it can take time - hang in there :)

Archived