2 replies to this topic

#1 Anianna

Anianna

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 05:08 PM

I have been to my primary care physician, the emergency clinic, and an immunologist/allergist. I have had lots of diagnoses over the years, but have had terrible blistering rashes for the last two years that were initially diagnosed as MRSA (came back negative) and then as contact dermatitis. My doctors have given up on me and simply settled for "extremely sensitive skin", which is not a satisfactory answer. I scheduled an appointment with a dermapathologist, but she cannot see me until December and I am so miserable now that I cannot even walk without extreme pain.

A friend who has celiac recommended I look into it and I believe this is my answer. I left a message for my doctor requesting a scrip for dapsone to see if that will provide me any relief. I have had a negative blood test for celiac, but I have IgA deficiency, which increases my risk and the symptoms I have been suffering for years that have been diagnosed as one thing or another fit to a T.

So what now? These doctors have failed me. What kind of doctor do I go to to determine whether I have celiac? Is dapsone for the DH and a change of diet our only options or is there a type of doctor who would have other treatment options for this disease?

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 virginiabeach

virginiabeach

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:39 PM

What does it matter what the diagnosis is? I know if I am hit on the head with a hammer it's going to cause physical pain and possibly neurological damage. If I ingest wheat it will do the same thing. It no longer takes a doctor to confirm this.

Yes, we get a tax break if we have a "legitimate" diagnosis... What else? I got my diagnosis from a naturopathic physician back when the orthodoxy of western medicine believed we were one in 100,000 and they'd never see one of us in their practice. The ordeal of getting the diagnosis would have done me too much damage by the time western medicine realized it was wrong.

But, in the end, it's not what the diagnosis is, it's about how we survive. Take it and run.

#3 tom

tom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:32 PM

Wow Anianna that sucks & no appt until December?!
I don't have DH but I thought a regular dermatologist could Dx it - not sure if I've seen the word Dermapathologist before.

Re your last question: If it *is* DH, and therefore celiac disease, there's no other type of (reputable) Dr w/ a treatment that doesn't include 100% gluten-free.

Even though this is about Drs, you might get more replies asking in the DH section http://www.celiac.co...-herpetiformis/

There's gotta be a way to not wait until December, isn't there?
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: