6 replies to this topic

#1 karinp

karinp

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:05 PM

Hello. I have hashimoto's and also was having a lot of bloating. My endo ran some celiac labs and my tgg iga was 37 and my ttg igg was 39. Greater than 10 is positive.

I have my endoscopy on monday. What should i talk to the gastro about prior to the procedure eg. How many biopsies, etc. Thank you!!!!!"

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pricklypear1971

pricklypear1971

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,684 posts

Posted 20 September 2012 - 06:25 PM

For best results ask for 6 or more, and from the duodenal bulb.

Also, ensure the doctor takes samples, even if damage isn't visible to the eye. Some will NOT take samples if they don't see it, which is stupid, since they are looking for microscopic villi damage.
Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today. ~ Mark Twain

Probable Endometriosis, in remission from childbirth since 2002.
Hashimoto's DX 2005.
Gluten-Free since 6/2011.
DH (and therefore Celiac) dx from ND
Responsive to iodine withdrawal for DH (see quote, above).

Genetic tests reveal half DQ2, half DQ8 - I'm a weird bird!

#3 1974girl

1974girl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 21 September 2012 - 06:09 PM

Everything she just said.

#4 karinp

karinp

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

Thank you all!! I plan on talking with the doctor before and making sure she takes six biopsies. Leaving soon, i'm nervous!!!!

#5 Jodster72

Jodster72

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 11:35 AM

Im not sure the number of biopsy's they should take as I am fairly new to this myself.
Just wanted to wish you good luck and keep us posted xoxo
Jody

#6 karinp

karinp

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:19 PM

Well it's done!!! Was super easy, completely knocked out so didn't know what was going on. I guess my intestine looked normal but she took six biopsies. She also said where my esophagus meets my stomach was a bit abnormal so she took a biopsy to check for barrets disease.

I asked about what if my biopsy was negative but my labs positive. She said they could check another blood test, i think the genetic one and i also could try a gluten free diet to see if the ttg iga comes down.

#7 archaeo in FL

archaeo in FL

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:23 AM

Karinp, my GI told me that my intestines looked totally normal after my procedure and made a follow-up three month appointment. They mailed a copy of the initial results, which showed inflammation.

Two weeks later her nurse called and said the biopsied showed Celiac, and to start a gluten-free diet. They sent a very not-helpful three-page photocopied pamphlet indicating what is and is not generally gluten-free. When I asked if I should come in for a follow-up sooner, the nurse said no, and that I couldn't anyway - the GI takes the whole summer off!

So... it may take a while, but your biopsy results should be helpful. And I'm glad you're done - it's a good feeling!

In the meantime, now that your tests are done, I'll recommend what folks here recommended to me - no reason not to go ahead and start the gluten-free diet now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: