Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Anyone Here With Nerve Pain/damage

5 posts in this topic

For those who have had the tests and come up empty handed, docs not knowing why you have nerve damage, I need some advise. I have been on a gluten-free diet for 1 1/2 years and have improved greatly but my nerves have not. Have any of you done something, taken something that worked?? Please share, I am open ears.

I went to doc today because I yet a new nerve pain....this time on the side of my first finger on left hand. This comes after just seeing the doc in June for lump between my first and second fingers on right hand that he says is bundles nerves.

The numbness in my legs has improved. It used to be everything below the knee, now it is ankle down but I am also taking quite alot of B12. The pins and needles pain in between my toes is managable with 500 mg of L-Carnitine a day.....without it it is painful.

I have had an MRI on my back....2 bulging discs were found. I had a few treatments, did physical thereapy and the sciatic pain went away.

To this day I am having trouble with spasms in my legs. Doc has tried to put me on 2 different meds but they made me sick. As long as I keep my magnesium intake high I do much better but I don't seem to be improving.

Doc told me today he could send me to nuerology and they could stick a needle in my finger and try to figure the extend of nerve damage but he said every test that could be done to find the source has been done. I told me that he has no idea why I am having the issues with nrves and all he can do is try and aleviate the symptoms. So I need advise.

Ads by Google:

For those who have had the tests and come up empty handed, docs not knowing why you have nerve damage, I need some advise. I have been on a gluten-free diet for 1 1/2 years and have improved greatly but my nerves have not. Have any of you done something, taken something that worked?? Please share, I am open ears.

I went to doc today because I yet a new nerve pain....this time on the side of my first finger on left hand. This comes after just seeing the doc in June for lump between my first and second fingers on right hand that he says is bundles nerves.

The numbness in my legs has improved. It used to be everything below the knee, now it is ankle down but I am also taking quite alot of B12. The pins and needles pain in between my toes is managable with 500 mg of L-Carnitine a day.....without it it is painful.

I have had an MRI on my back....2 bulging discs were found. I had a few treatments, did physical thereapy and the sciatic pain went away.

To this day I am having trouble with spasms in my legs. Doc has tried to put me on 2 different meds but they made me sick. As long as I keep my magnesium intake high I do much better but I don't seem to be improving.

Doc told me today he could send me to nuerology and they could stick a needle in my finger and try to figure the extend of nerve damage but he said every test that could be done to find the source has been done. I told me that he has no idea why I am having the issues with nrves and all he can do is try and aleviate the symptoms. So I need advise.

Hi! I have nerve damage in various parts of my body, but not sure whether it's relative to my Coeliacs though. My spine damage isn't (severe sciatica because of degeneration in spine) but I have it in a leg (for 30 years) and my arm for about 20 years. I've only been diagnosed as coeliac 11 months.

I'm sorry you're still having problems.

I have had some odd stuff going on with my hands - shaking of fingers, a pain radiating down from my arm to my thumb. My thumb woukd actually twitch if i strained it, or prriodically for no apparent reason. I've always assumed carpal tunnel (the pain) and assumed gluten for the fingers. All of it was worse if I got glutened.

I asked a massage therapist about it once and she advised icing it, if it improved it was inflammation. So I did, and it improved. She said sometimes nerves get tangled in the muscles.

So, fast forward to a few months ago, when i started working out. I feared holding weights, etc. would be a problem because if this. And it was for the first three weeks or so. Then something weird happened - it stopped. The hand shaking stopped, the thumb twitching stopped, hard to tell if the arm pain stopped because I was so sore in general :). But the arm pain is gone now. The only weirdness I notice, and I'm not sure if its really there, is a hypersensitivity where my fingers meet my hand on my palm, on that hand.

So, working out with weights 10 - 20 lbs max, seems to have solved the problem??? I don't know what the cause of it was, I'll assume a tweak somehow exacerbated by gluten inflammation and inflammation in general.

I had a burst disc in my lower back a few years ago. As a result, I have some paralysis (drop foot) down my right leg and into my foot. I occassionally get muscle cramps in my shin at night, but I found the homeopathic remedy, Cuprum Metallicum really helped relieve my muscle cramps.

Before my disc burst, I used to get back spasms and sciatic pain quite often beginning in my early 20's. I'm not sure if my lower back pain is Celiac or AI related. My dad had degenerating discs, so did his mother, so I always assumed it was genetic.... but AI are genetic too aren't they? Hmm.

Hope you feel better soon.

Thank you for the replies. My physical therapist mentioned that my connective tissues were abnormally tight and she suggested stretching which I have done. Doc suggested yoga and I think it is worth a try. I will look up the cuprum metallicum, as I need some relief. I didn't realize you could have sciatica in the arm.....I really hope that is not my issue. Having it in my leg was bad enough, I cannot imagine it in my arm. I take comfort being with those have dealt with the pain, and I thank you for your replies.